News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Need pictures of the correct bumper jack for a 56 Cadillac

Started by Cadman-iac, January 06, 2020, 05:41:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cadman-iac

I have a Jack but I'm not sure if it's the right one.  If someone has pics of an original one I'd really appreciate seeing them.
My thanks in advance.
Oh and if possible,  how does it stow into the  trunk? I have an odd spring that looks like a hold down, but it won't retain the jack very well.

Here's a couple of pics of what I have.  This one came from a pile of old jacks my dad had.  It looked as close as I could figure to the right one, and holding it up to the bumper,  it didn't look like it would bend anything.
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Cadman-iac

Doesn't anyone have a picture of the original/correct bumper jack for 1956?
CLC# 32373

J. Gomez

Quote from: Cadman-iac on January 07, 2020, 03:32:34 PM
Doesn't anyone have a picture of the original/correct bumper jack for 1956?

Richard,

The one on your pictures looks to be the correct one.
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Cadman-iac

Quote from: J. Gomez on January 07, 2020, 03:44:56 PM
Richard,

The one on your pictures looks to be the correct one.

J.,
Thank you for that.  I appreciate the confirmation.  Now I can finish cleaning it up and paint it. I didn't want to invest too much time in it if it wasn't gonna work.
Thank you.
CLC# 32373

Lexi

I agree with Jose that it does look correct, but '56 Caddy jacks are as I recall a one year only item. It can be difficult to tell them apart. The main difference that I remember is that the jaws are of a different design than other years. In your photos it is hard to tell precisely what you have, though it may be correct.

To complete your bumper jack kit you would need the following appropriate items: 1) jack ('56 specific) 2) foot plate for jack 3) jack handle with rubber grip 4) jacking instructions for trunk ('56 specific) 5) the correct hold down spring ('56 specific) 6) a wooden wheel chock 7) inner wheel well hold down strap. And finally, the correct long style hold down lug nut for the spare with its "L" shaped bracket as part of the 'kit', for authenticity, as well. Unfortunately these items are not portrayed in the MPL.

I thought I had pictures, but still cannot locate them. Car in storage, but if you want to wait until I either find them, or until spring when I can take new shots, for confirmation, is up to you. Clay/Lexi

Cadman-iac

Quote from: lexi on January 07, 2020, 04:26:10 PM
I agree with Jose that it does look correct, but '56 Caddy jacks are as I recall a one year only item. It can be difficult to tell them apart. The main difference that I remember is that the jaws are of a different design than other years. In your photos it is hard to tell precisely what you have, though it may be correct.

To complete your bumper jack kit you would need the following appropriate items: 1) jack ('56 specific) 2) foot plate for jack 3) jack handle with rubber grip 4) jacking instructions for trunk ('56 specific) 5) the correct hold down spring ('56 specific) 6) a wooden wheel chock 7) inner wheel well hold down strap. And finally, the correct long style hold down lug nut for the spare with its "L" shaped bracket as part of the 'kit', for authenticity, as well. Unfortunately these items are not portrayed in the MPL.

I thought I had pictures, but still cannot locate them. Car in storage, but if you want to wait until I either find them, or until spring when I can take new shots, for confirmation, is up to you. Clay/Lexi

Clay,
Sure, I'd like to see your pics when you find them. As for the other items,  I do have them.  Although the hold down spring I'm not sure of. It came out of my 55 parts car, I think.  I was fortunate enough to find another 56 coupe body in a scrap yard years ago but I can't recall if I got a spring out of it or not. I do have "a" wood block, it's from a '69 Fleetwood I had years ago too.
I'll try to find all of this stuff and take some pictures for verification if you wouldn't mind. Might be a while for me too. I've got a lot of this car in boxes after I rebuilt and painted the parts.
Thanks for the help.
CLC# 32373

Lexi

Hey Richard, no problem. We are here to support one another. The '55 spring is not appropriate for '56. I believe the '55 has a bit of "coil" to it in order to add to the spring's tension, (used for more than 1 model year of Caddy as well), but the '56 is more straight with a  slight "C" curve to it (and no coil spring as part of its structure). It is quite different looking and one year only. I did find a picture of the 2 styles of springs, with the more straight one being the style you require. See attached photo, (top one is the '56). You could fabricate one. Could later send a photo with a scale if you wish.

The jack pictures you posted which look correct, is partly based on what I can see of the jaw design and the tube. Also, the patent number stamped on the jack's face appears to be "2433537" in your photo. Did I read that correctly? I did find my hand written notes where I had scribbled that same number down when I was looking for a '56 jack a few years back. So, while I am not 100% sure that the patent number stated is strictly a '56 identifier, it helps. Jose liking it is a further boost, as he knows these cars better than I.

I just finished a large engine, compartment and related parts restoration on my '56 and there are lots of "one offs" associated with this year of Caddy  :(  That makes the work we do more difficult.

Will continue looking for photos of my jack for you. Please keep us posted on your progress. Us "geeks" love to hear updates and see photos! Clay/Lexi

Edit: Cadillac used wooden wheel chocks for many years and I have no information as to whether any of them were model year specific. I am told that Cadillac used them up to around 1970. Finding any one of them would probably be OK. Perhaps another member could indicate if there were any differences that I am not aware of.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

The owners manual shows pics of the jack & where it's stowed. You have a owners & a shop manual, right?
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Lexi

As Bob noted there is some info in the owner's manual, but it is of no help in identifying jack components. There are also no pictures of the jack nor of it's stowed location, at least in the manuals I have here. There are 2 sketchy diagrams that show jacking points, with about zero detail in the jacks themselves. There is also a diagram showing where the fender skirt locking rod is. It also directs one to consult the inner trunk "instruction label" for further mounting instructions. The owner's manual will not help in identifying jack components. Sadly, the shopo manual has nothing on these components either. Clay/Lexi

Cadman-iac

I am having trouble posting pics at the moment. Not sure why. I've tried twice to answer your posts and questions but they keep getting wiped out.
This is a test post to see if it works.
CLC# 32373

Lexi

Got that one Richard. One source of a problem in image posting might be that you attempted to post a picture that was too large, (aim for low-med kbs and not mb file size). I cannot remember the file size limitations, but prior to me posting that one picture, I resized it so it would be accepted. If too large your post won't work and you may wonder what happened. So, it could be that you tried to attached a file that was too large. Clay/Lexi

Edit: Mark this day down in CLC history as I actually provided computer related info and guidance. I ain't no computer geek. Wonders never cease...

Cadman-iac

Lexi, Bob,
I do have both books,  but the pictures are not very good. Can't tell the details in them.
My jack has that patent number on it,  but I'll post more pics of it to be sure it's right. I think the base I have is right too,  but you can tell me if I'm wrong.
My hold down for the jack is the  55 one, of course,  right? Mr. Murphy strikes again!
I do have the right tire holder and nut,  and the tire cover.  When I first saw the cover,  I thought it was an air cleaner top. All I could think of was "how big is the  engine?" LOL!!!
What years MPL's do you have? I've got 2, a '73 and a '75. I've got a Mitchell's interchange manual from  '86, but it only goes back  to around '65 for Cadillac. I'd like to find a parts book for '56,  but the likelihood of that is probably pretty slim.
I just thought of this too. I'm gonna post this,  then try the pics.  I'm tired of retyping this post.  This is the third time now.
CLC# 32373

Cadman-iac

CLC# 32373

Cadman-iac

CLC# 32373

Lexi

Post shots of everything you got, we can then sort it out. In answer to your question I have a '56 MPL in hardcover, plus a 1959 as well as a 1961 edition. Got access to a '58. There are a few of us on the Forum who usually chime in and sometimes scan or photograph pages for assistance. So not to worry. Attached is a shot from my 1961 MPL on Cadillac jack info. Also have a circa 1960 Hollander interchange manual, and a ton of GM bulletins from the 1950s. Find attached is a scan of the instructions label that I mentioned and that is also referred to in the owner's manual. These labels are about 8.5 x 11 size and reproductions can be found on the net. While incomplete, I would recommend buying from the CLC the authenticity manual for 1954 - 1956 Caddy. It helps in some areas.  Check the CLC store for these. Clay/Lexi

Cadman-iac

CLC# 32373

Cadman-iac

CLC# 32373

Cadman-iac

CLC# 32373

Lexi

The best shot would be one, (or a few) of your bumper jack jaws. Preferably with an easy to read ruler across the jaws head on, as that I think is where the differences are. Foot plate close up and number on back. Clay

Cadman-iac

Here's the bottom of the base with the patent number on it.  I'll need to take more of the jack with a ruler tomorrow.
I also have a strap to hold the base  I guess,  or maybe the wedge.  Not sure.
CLC# 32373