News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1929 Cadillac boat tail rear brake/axle

Started by kkarrer, January 06, 2020, 07:22:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkarrer

Hi there!  I'm trying to help one of my club members with a 1929 Cadillac boat tail (apparently a former 341 B sedan originally).  I'm putting a set of newly restored Buffalo Wire Wheels on the car prior to putting it up for sale (he's moving to Oregon and doesn't have a place for this car and his 41 convertible).  I've got the fronts pretty well figured out, but this car has its original wooden wheels and the wheels have to be removed from the brake drums.  My problem is with the rear brake drums.  The axle has to be removed to get them off and I've pulled the axle out about 20 inches but it is stuck at that point.  The distal end of the axle is tapped and threaded to accommodate a slide hammer puller, but I want to be sure if that's the way to go.  I've pulled these on 31 and 32 cars, with no problems.  Any help would be appreciated.  This is a running, driving car and I would say that on the 1-5 scale that it's a low 3 car that could be toured as is , but would need repainting as the lacquer is checking and cracked in places as are some of the seams.
Ken Karrer
CenTex CLC Reg. Dir.
1932 All Weather Phaeton
512-626-7268
kenneth.karreremail addresses not permitted

kkarrer

Regarding the rear axle...I finally got it out.  I just had to get a slide hammer to do the job.  The problem now is separating the rear drums from the wooden wheels.  I have the 12 hub bolts out, but still can't figure out how the drum comes off of those wooden spokes.  Any help would be appreciated. The fronts were no problem.
Thanks,
Ken Karrer
Cen Tex CLC Reg. Dir.

DaveZ

Hi Ken,
The back wheels come off the same way as the front wheels. You don't need to pull the axle or drums. The wood wheels had a tendency to stick to the drums because of the tight fit. You have to go between the drum and rim and pry/ tap. Nice car!

Regards,
Regards,
David Zitzmann
1932 345B

kkarrer

Dave,
     Good to hear from you.  I finally got those damn rear hubs (wooden wheels) to separate from the brake drums, but it required heat and lots of hammering and getting the new Buffalo Wire Wheel rear hubs to go together was a tight press fit as well...had to use bolts to pull them in and that was after considerable  dressing with emery cloth, wire wheel, and silicone spray.  They make the car look much better and the new owner can have the other parts as well.  I should have her running again by tomorrow.  I'll clean her up and see if anyone's interested in buying her. Hoping to have my 32 All Weather Phaeton at GN in June.
Take care,
Ken
CenTex Reg. Dir.
1932 aw phaeton

DaveZ

Hi Ken,
Good to hear. My Uncle Mike had a 29 Sport Phaeton with the buffalo wheels. Beautiful car.
Glad to hear the 32 is almost done.
Regards,
David Zitzmann
1932 345B