News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

37 Cadillac-New rebuild, foaming antifreeze

Started by boothandco, January 08, 2020, 11:52:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boothandco

Anyone got any ideas on what could be causing this?  It's got good compression, install was done by good mechanic, but If I drive it Even 2 miles, it foams half of the antifreeze out of the overdraft tube.

Chad Booth

Current:
1937 Series 75
1999 Fleetwood Limited
1976 GMC Motorhome
Previous:
1989 Sixty Special
Reformed Lincoln 4 door convertible owner.
boothandco@sisna.com

Bobby B

Did you bleed it to get some air out? It's easy to overfill the Flathead radiator. You don't need to fill it to the top because it WILL overflow until it seeks the correct amount of coolant. If you think you didn't overfill it, a pressure check of your cooling system, and/or a compression check, would be in order. Keep us Posted. Good Luck!
                               Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

LaSalle5019

What I would do to verify I don't have a head gasket leak or crack in the block, both of which can allow cylinder pressure to enter the cooling system, is apply air pressure through the spark plug hole in each cylinder and listen for any bubbling with the radiator cap off. You can typically do this with a compression tester and adapt an air air hose in place of the gauge.  That will at least eliminate one area of concern.
Scott

James Landi

Another approach to Scott's diagnostics is to simply fill the radiator with coolant ALMOST to the top.  As he mentioned, a minor leaking head gasket or crack in the cylinder head or worst yet the compression side of the engine block will show as a steady stream of bubbles coming up through the engine coolant in the almost filled radiator.  ALas, I've had this occur, and the engine ran very well because the leak was relatively insignificant with respect to the compression in the cylinder.  Let's all hope and pray that you DON"T have that problem, and it's simply that your coolant system is not entirely filled .  James