News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

LaSalle

Started by D.Smith, January 08, 2020, 08:12:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D.Smith

Did you know....  The idea of a smaller Cadillac was more than an idea in 1972. They had rolling prototypes of different variations presented to management in 1973. But by 74 the final design was done and approved. BUT it wasn't the Seville. It was the LaSalle! But at the last minute the name was changed to Seville. Since the new smaller car was to be more expensive than the standard models, the nostalgic name seemed inappropriate since the LaSalle was originally a lesser expensive, lower end car. Not to mention a dropped model. So even though Archie and Edith Bunker fondly remembered that their old LaSalle ran great, the name Seville was resurected from the past hardtop Eldorado coupes.

Bill Young

Yes , well aware , I believe the two photo's are from Maurice Hendry's Cadillac book. I at the time in the mid 70's when I first got that book could not see the logic in not using the LeSalle nameplate however I later understood as the new car was going to be price pointed above most of the Cadillac line. I have always had trouble seeing the advantage in the less is more philosophy with regard to wheelbase and overall length in cars. Although the SeVille was a great car and an overall hit personally I remain a lifelong Lover of the traditional full size Cadillac.

dochawk

It is indeed time for a new LaSalle.

Just a V8 luxury car, not a 700hp with every incremental gadget known to man . . .

but then, this is one of my pet peeves.  ::)

hawk, who hasn't seen anything from Cadillac he'd want to own for a decade and a half . . .
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

Jim Stamper

Remember when one bought the extras on the car if they wanted them or the salesman could convince the buyer he should have them? Radio, heater, defroster, hubcaps. It has gone far beyond that for sure.

I see highways filled with cars and wonder how many billions of dollars of extra options are out there being driven every day by owners who have no clue his car has the options, or if he knows it wouldn't have bought it if he had a choice, but were included in the price of the car anyway.

Just a thought  Jim Stamper CLC#13470