News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

PCV Hose Replacement 1975 500CID with A/C

Started by ChrisTabat, January 18, 2020, 09:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisTabat

Time to replace brittle and cracked vacuum hoses on my Eldorado.    Has anybody discovered a trick to replacing the PCV hose at the carb without either removing the carb or the AC compressor?   The only reference I'm finding in the manual is in the carb removal procedures,  and that says to remove the carb and then remove the PCV hose. 
Chris Tabat #31293

'68 DeVille Convertible, '75 Eldorado Convertible, '71 Chevelle SS Convertible, '11 Camaro SS Convertible
Bella Vista, AR

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Chris,
The connection is a tight place/space but replacement is possible with a little patience and a lot of dexterity.  Failing that my next choice would be to loosen the mounting bolts on the AC compressor (not the refrigerant hoses) after loosening the belt and moving the compressor slightly to provide access to the nipple on the carb.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

hornetball

I second moving the AC compressor a little forward to gain access.  You have to loosen the PS pump mount bolts and pivot the pump to get the belt off.  At that point, it is 5 fairly accessible bolts (3 x 9/16 and 2 x 1/2) to free the compressor.

Getting the carb off isn't a hard job either, but sometimes the fuel line is stubborn (make sure to use the 2-wrench method) and you'll need new gaskets to set it back in place.  If you do pull the carb, pay attention to the torque specs for the mounting bolts as they are pretty light.  You don't want to warp the carb.

If you don't have your PCV hose yet, I've found the hoses that are reproduced for some GM muscle cars with molded 90 degree ends can be trimmed for a perfect fit on the Eldo.  Something like this:

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Replacement-PCV-Hose-w-Molded-End-Camaro-Nova-Chevelle-GM-Truck,116951.html

Do the PCV valve while you're at it.

TJ Hopland

I was thinking a special hose was needed if you still have the AC in place.   Good tip on getting one from a more popular car and modifying it.

A set of hose pliers may help also.  Don't know anything about this specific set just using it as an example.

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece-long-reach-hose-grip-pliers-37909.html
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

ChrisTabat

Thanks.  I moved the compressor a couple times for work on my '68 and it wasn't too bad,  but it never hurts to see if someone else has a better alternative.   I got the old, broken hose off without moving the compressor,  so maybe I will be able to get a fresh, pliable hose on.   I appreciate the lead on the hose. 

Chris Tabat #31293

'68 DeVille Convertible, '75 Eldorado Convertible, '71 Chevelle SS Convertible, '11 Camaro SS Convertible
Bella Vista, AR