Author Topic: Seeking Source for Production #s 1979 SDV 2-tone paint  (Read 649 times)

Offline larning

• CLC Number: 27816
  • Name: L Arning
Seeking Source for Production #s 1979 SDV 2-tone paint
« on: January 19, 2020, 03:57:12 AM »
   I own a '79 Sedan de Ville d'Elegance with the 2-tone paint option of Sable Black over Pottery Gold Firemist (interior: antique bronze Venetian velour). How would I go about verifying how many were produced with this paint scheme ?
   Like the Cotillion White and Saxony Red 2-tone option for '79, I believe very few were produced with the Sable black and Pottery Gold Firemist, but would like #s.   Any help is greatly appreciated.   

Offline Barry M Wheeler #2189

• Administrator
  • CLC Number: 2189
  • Name: Barry Wheeler
Re: Seeking Source for Production #s 1979 SDV 2-tone paint
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 11:10:46 PM »
I also own a two-tone 1979 Fleetwood Brougham. I mention this so you will not think that my reply is completely sarcastic.
If you wish to know how many cars were painted in your color selection, your best way to find out is to guess.

Other than keeping the data on hand for perhaps a couple of years to see if a combination merited being continued, there is no reason for GM to have kept such factoids around for forty one years.

There is a mantra in the new car business. Management cares not a whit for how many cars you sold last week, yesterday, nor even today. All they care about is how many cars you are going to sell tomorrow.

The facts that we find so interesting about our autos and wish we could pull up at a moment's thought from the Web are of interest to management only in relation to selling cars at the present. So, they don't keep all of this information.

You have a stunning car. It would possibly sell quite well in Northwest Indiana as Black and Gold are the school colors for Purdue. However, I've worked and lived in this area since 1968 and have owned more 1979 Cadillacs than any other year. I honestly don't recall ever seeing one on the streets of Lafayette, so I will agree with you that the combination is somewhat rarer than others. Were it mine, I would cherish it as 1979s are among the best Cadillacs ever produced. Congratulations on your find.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Offline larning

• CLC Number: 27816
  • Name: L Arning
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 12:24:50 AM »
Barry,
   Greatly appreciate the response.  I will follow your guidance and 'guess' that mine may be one of *perhaps* two survivors.
   While I suspected the info in your reply, there are such numbers available for Lincolns.  For instance, I just completed an article on Lincoln Mark IVs for the local car club to which I belong: Automotive Mileposts lists production figures for the Designer Series and for many of the Luxury Groups (paint & interior combos).  [I also own a '79 Mark V Cartier Edition.]
    I absolutely cherish both of my Cadillacs -the '79 d'Elegance was bought from a one-owner with 140.000 on the clock.  Since there's a '79 de Ville listed in the Cadillac Database as having over 600,000 without an engine rebuild, I'm optimistic that the 425 will outlast me.   The previous owner had ALL the documentation -from day-one.
     By the way -which colors are on your Brougham?

Offline Dan LeBlanc

• Name: Dan LeBlanc
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 07:46:46 AM »
Barry,
   Greatly appreciate the response.  I will follow your guidance and 'guess' that mine may be one of *perhaps* two survivors.
   While I suspected the info in your reply, there are such numbers available for Lincolns.  For instance, I just completed an article on Lincoln Mark IVs for the local car club to which I belong: Automotive Mileposts lists production figures for the Designer Series and for many of the Luxury Groups (paint & interior combos).  [I also own a '79 Mark V Cartier Edition.]
    I absolutely cherish both of my Cadillacs -the '79 d'Elegance was bought from a one-owner with 140.000 on the clock.  Since there's a '79 de Ville listed in the Cadillac Database as having over 600,000 without an engine rebuild, I'm optimistic that the 425 will outlast me.   The previous owner had ALL the documentation -from day-one.
     By the way -which colors are on your Brougham?

The only reason why these numbers exist is because Kevin Marti purchased the entire FoMoCo production records and has developed his own way of extracting information such as that you seek.  I guess that's why he can command the premium he does for decoding your vehicle.  That reminds me, I need to order a Marti report for my 77 Continental.

To date, I know of nobody who has done such a thing with GM's production records, and, even then, build sheets are only available until 1976 in the archive for purchase.  It's too bad, as I would like a Marti-type report for the Cadillacs I own and have owned.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Offline Barry M Wheeler #2189

• Administrator
  • CLC Number: 2189
  • Name: Barry Wheeler
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 06:06:30 PM »
My car is Dark Cedar with a Cedar top. I may get in trouble for this, but, if you would like a car exactly like mine, the Museum has one that they consider "surplus to needs" that I think they would like to get to a new home. I can't remember whether or not the car has leather or cloth, and I don't believe that it's a d'Elegance, but a regular Brougham like mine.

You might contact Tim Pawl who is our Museum Curator for further information.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 

All Cads