News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1970 Rear bumper assembly cushion or gaskets ?

Started by Bill Balkie 24172, January 19, 2020, 11:18:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello ,
    When I disassembled my rear bumper on my 1970 Cadillac I noticed there was a gaskets or cushions separating the center section and the two end units right  and left .
It makes sense to me because you would not want to bolts two Crome plated parts together for fear of cracking the chrome . My question is what  kind of material or fabric should I use to cushion or insulate the three piece assembly .

Thank you ,
         Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

76eldo

I don’t remember seeing that on my rear bumper but I guess you can just buy some gasket paper which is pretty inexpensive and make your own.

You could also try a thin sheet of rubber but if you just bolt the ends to the center metal to metal I really don’t think you will have any issues with it.

If you have an illustrated parts book it would show an “insulator” in GM lingo of one was originally installed by the factory.

Jerry Parnes would know as he has done a lot of work on and parted out many 70 Cadillacs.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

35-709

Rubber the Right Way sells masticated rubber by the square foot, that should serve your purpose well.  Or, Google masticated rubber, it is available from many sources.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Scot Minesinger

I have taken apart rear bumpers on 1970 Cadillacs too, even low mileage originals, and never saw the rubber between center and end sections.  Like the other posters wrote the material is readily available today in sheet form to be cut as needed.  Buy a gasket punch, that is best way to make holes, and if you don't need it now you will eventually.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Bill Balkie 24172

Thany you ,
   Thank you all 3 of you guys .  I value all of your opinions . I think i will order the 12 X12 sheet of Masticated Rubber form Rubber the Right Way . It goes against the grain to clamp  2 surfaces that are not 100% flat and are chrome plated.  Something has to give . Chrome is very hard  material and can crack, especially when two chrome parts are bolted together . When  I disassembled the bumper assembly there was some sort of gasket that deteriorated . looked to be a faberic of some kind . Anyway for now that is my plan . I am counting on thin material to be maybe .062  1/16 think . If thicker  i might just go with a standard rubber sheet like a  bicycyle inner tube .  I will let you know how i make out in a few weeks .
Again thank you Brian , Scott and G. Newsome for your input .

Bill

Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Roger Zimmermann

If you are using a thin rubber or masticated sheet, by tightening the bolts you will deform the attaching points and the chrome will crack. I restored 3 cars; the various element doing the bumpers were installes as it was originally and had no issue except some tiny noises (cracks) when tightening the bolts. Years after, still no issue.
If you want to use a gasket, please consider something which is not soft.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

The Tassie Devil(le)

I wouldn't have thought that the makers would install any "gasket" between the Bumper Bar pieces, as it has been mentioned before that a flexible chrome surface will run the risk of cracking when deformed.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello ,
   My thoughts were that the masticated ruber would take up any imperfectiion in the two mating surfaces . These two surfaces are not machined parts . The are bent pieces of metal with a hard chrome plated surfaces  . All the rubber is doing it compinsating  for the imperfection of the metal itself and the chrome .  That is my opinion right or wrong .

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Roger Zimmermann

Do first a test with scrap metal, unchromed: 2 bolts and in between your rubber. It will be difficult to have the proper torque at the bolts because the rubber is getting squeezed. If you have sufficient torque, the rubber will get so thin around the holes that the scrap metal will be deformed between the holes. Just do a try!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

76eldo

To find out what the factory did you would need to consult the master parts book.
I’m pretty sure I have one but can’t seem to find it right now.
The fit between the parts should not have any gap. Any irregularities if they exist can be adjusted before you get the bumper parts chromed. I agree with the others that any material in between the parts will only open a gap and make the areas with the holes distort slightly and possible crack the chrome.

My bumper did not have anything there to isolate the parts from touching.
Anything you put on there will be very compressed anyway when you tighten the parts together.

Be prepared for spending several hours when you go to put it back on the car to get the alignment correct. The gap between the decklod and the bumper should be very tight and even all the way across. The gaps on the ends where they wrap around and meet the quarter panel need to be straight up and down and tight.

You also get adjustment from the stud, rubber block, but amd washer inside of the trunk.  Be prepared with a patient helper and also a heavy ratchet strap that you can use to pull on the brackets as you tighten the bracket to frame bolts.

If you think installing a straight bumper right back on the car it came off of will be simple and easy, it’s not. At least it wasn’t for me.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

chrisntam

Quote from: 76eldo on January 21, 2020, 08:51:52 AM

Be prepared for spending several hours when you go to put it back on the car to get the alignment correct. The gap between the decklod and the bumper should be very tight and even all the way across. The gaps on the ends where they wrap around and meet the quarter panel need to be straight up and down and tight.

You also get adjustment from the stud, rubber block, but amd washer inside of the trunk.  Be prepared with a patient helper and also a heavy ratchet strap that you can use to pull on the brackets as you tighten the bracket to frame bolts.

If you think installing a straight bumper right back on the car it came off of will be simple and easy, it’s not. At least it wasn’t for me.

In the end, you'll say, "That's good enough, I'm done."

;)

My bumper had no insulators, but I think mine had been apart prior to my ownership.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

76eldo

Good enough didn’t cut it for me.
Joe Caristo and I spent about 4 hours on aligning the bumper.
Looks perfect.  I was obsessing over it and then after we got it done I looked at pictures of the car from before and it didn’t fit as well as it does now.
It’s a 30,000 original (except for the rear bumper rechrome) so I wanted it right.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on January 21, 2020, 06:58:25 AM
Do first a test with scrap metal, unchromed: 2 bolts and in between your rubber. It will be difficult to have the proper torque at the bolts because the rubber is getting squeezed. If you have sufficient torque, the rubber will get so thin around the holes that the scrap metal will be deformed between the holes. Just do a try!
I agree with Roger.

If a Bumper Bar was to be assembled with a gasket between the two chrome plated surfaces, then the attaching bolts would be machined with registers so that when tightened, one side of the bolt would be up tight against the inner face of the end piece, and the register end would be hard up against the opposite washer/nut, so there was no distorted compression of the two bumper mating surfaces.

The only "Special" items  have seen with Bumpers and Mounting Bolts is with my Ranchero, and this had bolts going through the bumper bar face, and into the mounting arms/brackets.   These has special washers to stop the deformation of the bumper face as it was tightened up.   Can't show the pictures here as it is not a Cadillac.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

hornetball

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on January 21, 2020, 07:11:46 PMthen the attaching bolts would be machined with registers

Translating Australian into American . . . "would be machined with shoulders"

;D

Cadman-iac

Are you sure you're not seeing the bumper to body seal instead? I know that GM and others used a seal to keep dust,dirt, and mud from splashing up between the body and bumper.
It could be that someone in the past might have had an end off the bumper and in the course of reinstalling it had gotten a piece of the seal caught between them.
I've had several of the '69 to '72's and Ive not seen any such thing in between the bumper pieces either.
I have seen pieces of that splash seal, (and it's made of masticated rubber by the way), just hanging off of the body after its fallen apart due to age.
I have to agree with the others here about not putting the rubber between the pieces of the bumper.  As I think about this,  I haven't seen that on any bumper regardless of make.
Just good for thought.
Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

wrefakis

no insulators as per master parts book and many untouched original cars

Scot Minesinger

This car could have been in a mild rear end accident back in the early 1970's and it was repaired, re-chromed back in the 1970's, or etc.  My Dad had his 1970 Olds 442 Cutlas rear bumper re-chromed in the 1970's because for some reason it rusted - the front was perfect - ??  The shop that did the job (including removal and reattachment) may have done some additional work beyond factory original.  Take a look at the gasket between end and center section again - does it look factory?  That would be perfectly cut holes, perfectly spaced, perfect curve on each side, both ends the exact same, no hand made look to it, and etc.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty