News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

EFI injector seal renewal

Started by jagbuxx #12944, January 20, 2020, 07:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jagbuxx #12944

Ugghh, finally started the task of removing the fuel rails to replace the seals and grommets on my ‘76. One of them started to seep and as I’ve had the car now for over 13 years, it’s time.
Naturally, something always fights you on these old cars. Got the rear rail off with a bit of struggle. But the front rail, omg, the nuts are so tight. Got one removed but the other one is getting rounded. Letting it sit overnight with some penetrant on it.
I’m certain they have been off before as the nut already had some rounding. Will tackle again tomorrow
Frank Burns #12944
76 Coupe d'Elegance EFI Galloway Green Firemist
70 deVille Convert San Mateo Red
61 Coupe Deville Bristol Blue
41 Series 61 Deluxe Coupe 6127D Black
08 STS 3.6 1SC  Thunder Gray
16 GTI Gray
03 T-Bird Black
16 Grand Cherokee Summit, Granite
19 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH
07 Corvette Blue
20 MB S450 White

"Whatever the occasion, there
is no better way to arrive than in a Cadillac.

The Tassie Devil(le)

You will have to use a proper Ring Spanner with the open end to undo those tube nuts.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

jagbuxx #12944

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on January 20, 2020, 08:09:44 PM
You will have to use a proper Ring Spanner with the open end to undo those tube nuts.

Bruce. >:D
Purchased flare nut wrench/spanner but still struggling. Will go at it fresh tomorrow.
Going to put the word out in the meantime for a replacement rail...
Frank Burns #12944
76 Coupe d'Elegance EFI Galloway Green Firemist
70 deVille Convert San Mateo Red
61 Coupe Deville Bristol Blue
41 Series 61 Deluxe Coupe 6127D Black
08 STS 3.6 1SC  Thunder Gray
16 GTI Gray
03 T-Bird Black
16 Grand Cherokee Summit, Granite
19 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH
07 Corvette Blue
20 MB S450 White

"Whatever the occasion, there
is no better way to arrive than in a Cadillac.

Gene Beaird

Get a QUALITY flare nut wrench!  There are a lot of crappy flare nut wrenches out there the fit poorly, and actualy flex when you try to use them.  I was a Craftsman fan until I started messing with FI systems on more-modern cars.  Even those will flex some.  I ended up getting a set of Snap-On flare nut wrenches, and they are a LOT better. 

It also helps some, if you have room, to put the wrench on the nut, and whack the other end with a hammer.  Sometimes the shock from a hammer will be enough to pop the thing loose.  Looks like you're getting past that process working, though. 

You may try putting a heat gun on the injector manifold to see if you can heat things up to get them to expand enough to come loose. 

If none of that works, you'll probably have to get a pair of Vice-Grips on it and try popping it with a hammer.  I'd probably give some penetrant work a few days before I resort to that, though. 

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873