News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1951 Fog Light Bulb Cover

Started by Steve Strickland, January 21, 2020, 05:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Strickland

Are the bulb covers on the fog light bulb really needed for their operation?

I am in the process of rebuilding my fog light housings and only one bulb had the cover on it. I have found them on ebay, but won't buy them if they don't really make a difference. I've never seen them work on my car, so I can't compare how one side was to the other. Thank you in advance!

The Tassie Devil(le)

The only reason there would be a cover on a Fog light globe would be to direct all the light back onto the reflector, which then would display the beam in the correct pattern for illuminating under the layer of fog.

Allowing light to shine straight forward from the globe would throw light upwards, thereby diminishing the ability to observe the road through the fog.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Steve Strickland

Cadman-iac

Quote from: Steve Strickland on January 21, 2020, 05:35:11 PM
Are the bulb covers on the fog light bulb really needed for their operation?

I am in the process of rebuilding my fog light housings and only one bulb had the cover on it. I have found them on ebay, but won't buy them if they don't really make a difference. I've never seen them work on my car, so I can't compare how one side was to the other. Thank you in advance!

You're speaking of the triangular snap on cover I'm guessing.  I was wondering the same thing myself. Out of three cars, I had a total of one cover.
I'm thinking that it's not absolutely necessary,  but it would help deflect the light back to the rear of the lamp to help defuse the beam. You don't want a bright straight forward beam in fog, or it will reflect back at you making visibility difficult.  Kinda like using the high beams in fog. It doesn't work well.
Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Steve Strickland

Thank you Rick! I have ordered a set off of eBay.