News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Body Number Plate 1972 deVille

Started by 19626, January 23, 2020, 08:47:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi - Thank you in advance for your help.  I have a new-to-me 1972 Coupe deVille.  The top line of the Body Number Plate reads:

ST 72 68347FWDO35455

I get that the 72 is the year, and that 68347 is the model designator, but what do the rest of the letters/numbers mean?  One would think FWD stands for front wheel drive, but it's a deVille not an Eldorado.

Again, thank you for any/all assistance.   

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

FWD = Fleetwood Body Plant

035455 = Body #
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Cadillac Fleetwood

Yours is the 34,455th 1972 Coupe DeVille built, out of a total of 95,280 for the model year. The same body plate will have a code following the letters PNT, indicating the paint and vinyl roof (if so equipped) codes, and a code for TRM, indicating the interior trim combination, usually a three-digit code beginning with the numeral "3".  There is also a date code, a three-character alpha-numeric code, FOR EXAMPLE, 03C, which would denote a car built during the third week of March, 1972.  A group of letters in a line below this information indicates certain accessories.

Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

Thank you, Eric and Charles!  That all makes much more sense.  The TR is 354 (white with oxblood) and the Paint code is 11 J (white with a white vinyl top).  The date code is: 01C, which means the first week of March.  This is so helpful! 

Another question, if I may:  what's the difference between a Unit Production Number in the VIN and a Body Number on the plate, because those are two different numbers.  Wouldn't they be the same.  Flaunting my ignorance now. 

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

As Charles mentioned, the body number is for Coupe deVilles only; the VIN is broadcast number reflecting production sequence of all 1972 Cadillacs (built at the Fleetwood plant).

Broadcast number for DeVilles built in Linden NJ plant begin 350001.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Cadillac Fleetwood

Quote from: 19626 on January 23, 2020, 01:47:20 PM
The date code is: 01C, which means the first week of March.

No.  01C means the third week of January.  01 = January, C = third week.

Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

Eric & Charles - I am humbled by your knowledge and appreciate your assistance.  Corrections made and difference noted.