News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1947 Cadillac Hydra-matic MYSTERY

Started by bill_boos, January 25, 2020, 04:40:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill_boos

MY '47 Series 62 Cadillac Sedanette Hydra-matic has DR and LO indicators on the shift lever but THREE detent positions to the right of Neutral. The first is four speed, the second is three speed and the third is two speed. I thought the car had only a four speed and single speed low.

Might I have a later year Hydra-matic installed. Were there Hydra-matics with a DR, 3, 2  system that would work with the original engine and shift lever? The engine is a flathead so it is likely original.

Any thoughts or knowledge?

Bill

2013 SL 550
2006 Bentley GT Continental
2003 CL 600
1947 Lincoln Continental Cabriolet
1949 Cadillac Sedan (sold years ago)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1947 Cadillac Sedanette (Just Bought Oct 2019)

k8096

Yes, it appears your car has a later dual range Hyrdamatic installed.   That's OK, it's an improvement as you can hold it in 3rd gear if you want to.   It's probably from a 1953-55 car.   I wouldn't worry about finding a 1947 Hydramatic, just enjoy the car as is.   On the 1947 Hyrdamatic, "Lo" actually holds it in 2nd gear, not 1st.       
J Gehring

bill_boos

J, thanks for verifying what I suspected but had no idea if that was the case or what years it might be from. It shifts smoothly and with good power and am glad to hear it is an improvement not only holding third gear but perhaps better engineered and built since it was later in the development of fairly new technology.

I wouldn't swap it out for authenticity -  I am more interested in drivability although the car is quite authentic  except for dual Optima batteries and an electric fuel pump that I never use.  I'm sorting out a couple of issues that I will post to ask for help. I've gotten so much help already that I just now joined the CLC so I can support the club.
2013 SL 550
2006 Bentley GT Continental
2003 CL 600
1947 Lincoln Continental Cabriolet
1949 Cadillac Sedan (sold years ago)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1947 Cadillac Sedanette (Just Bought Oct 2019)

Bob Schuman

Bill,
If you want to know what year your transmission is, look at the data plate attached to the passenger side of the transmission case. It should start with C-52-, indicating a Cadillac 1952 transmission, C-53 for 1953 and so on. If it should start with O instead of C, that's an Olds transmission, just as good as one with a C, no cause for concern.
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

fishnjim

check the tag for the trans number.   Then cross reference to year to B sure.   

There's a lot of hoopla.   Even though the shift lever only has two positions, my '58 "C" is actually a 4 speed.   Two in each position.   Read up on hydromatics evolution.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydramatic

"mystery" = lack of info indicated.