News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1956 Cadillac Series 62 spray foam in trunk mystery

Started by Keldridge, January 26, 2020, 03:41:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keldridge

Afternoon. I am working on a pretty nice 1962 Cadillac 62. One of the things I was doing was replacing the trunk carpet and liners. When I got everything out of the trunk and started to strip out the carpet I found that the front of the trunk area where the rear A/C is had been encased in spray foam. Upon removing the back seat I found the same thing from that direction. As of yet I've been unable to figure out what some previous owner was trying to fix or hide. Any ideas?

Cadman-iac

It looks to me like they were trying to seal up the trunk area from the interior so that the factory A/C would draw air from inside the car instead of from the hot trunk.
There should be a rubber seal that goes between the evaporator case where those 4 odd holes are and the cardboard trunk divider that sits directly behind the seat back.  The divider also should have those same holes in it.
I didn't see the divider in your pictures though. I was asking for a picture of an original seal for the evaporator case myself as I have no idea what it should look like.
I'll  post a couple pictures of the one that I made if you want to see what I think it should look like. The tape you see in the picture is there to help retain the shape until I get it installed in the car as I made mine from a new rear bumper to body seal for a '56 or '57 Chevy and it was rolled up in the package.
Hope this helps.

Rick

EDIT: the chunks of black rubber you probably have found in the car are what's left of the original seal.
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

J. Gomez

Kevin,

I’m with Rick; somehow the previous owner took the short route to seal the area and spay the expanding foam around the evaporator to seal the inlets.   :o  :o
J. Gomez
CLC #23082