News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1959 Series 62 Convertible Seat Mystery

Started by Carmambo, January 29, 2020, 11:44:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carmambo

O.K. Folks I need help.  I am elbows deep in a 59 convertible restoration and have just finished reupholstering the seats.  I noticed when removing the rear seatback that nothing was holding or anchoring it down. after new springs and foam and leather the rear seat back now wants to push up and disengage from the upper hooks or hangers and fall forward into the car.  All the cars I have restored over the years typically have a bolt or lag screw and washer that pin the two loops to the back kick up panel over the rear axle.  This 59 has two pockets with horizontal bolt holes in them.  The loops are the same distance apart as the pockets so it is obvious they fit into them but nothing in the pockets to hold the backrest down.  It appears a bolt and hook or bracket is missing for inside these pockets.  Is there anyone out there that has removed and replaced a 59 convertible seat that knows what I am describing? 
C.F.

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Craig,

If my memory serves me correct, there are a couple of body tags or metal "flaps" that are welded to the floor pan, at the base of the rear firewall/panel, and these have to be bent straight out/forward so that the loops on the bottom of the seat back framework can slide off, then the seat back lifts straight up and off the top "clips".

Could it be that when your car was restored, the metal tabs were not put back in place if the floor was replaced?

The Tab is only a piece of body type metal, and when the seat is put back, it simply slips over these tabs, and the tabs bent over.   All they do is stop the seat back from lifting off the top hooks.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

goob

Just pulled my seat base forward...bit of a tight spot but this is the anchor on the passenger side of the rear seat back...the photo is upside down!!

goob

The Tassie Devil(le)

I have a feeling that the screw and washer are not original, as every rear seat that I have removed, that the seat back was not retained by the rear seat belt bolts, was retained by a hex-headed self tapping screw, with a smaller washer.

Many have had the folding-over tab.

Need more information.   I stripped a '60 Convertible, and cannot for the life of me remember what was there, and the pictures I took, just miss out on showing the area.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

INTMD8

I removed the rear seat from my car (unrestored interior) and surprisingly there were no fasteners/washers in that position.

Possibly removed at some point and just missing but it appears the original sound deadener is in place behind that part of the seat frame and I see no hole in it.  (so would seem there was never a fastener there)

Still, would the upper chrome surround not hold the seat back down in place?

Carmambo

Thank you to everyone these are all great replies but interesting enough it’s not what I have.   I will get some pics tomorrow (back in town) to show what I am experiencing.  It is possible that nothing goes in the pockets and the screw in the back of the chrome strip holds it down like in the last post but it seems odd
C.F.

fishnjim

Confused this with the "horizontal" hole.   Post pix, always clearer.
It should hang from clips on the top, and secure at bottom.
If there's a place with holes on both sides that align with the "u" tabs on the seat bottom, then there's a big headed bolt (like a fender washer) that protrudes from the rear to the interior that you nut/washer from the interior.   Depends how big the holes are, might have been a spring nut in the hole for a big headed bolt to tighten, alternately.  Either will work.  I could find any documentation in quick search.

Normally, I say look in the authenticity manual, but after this months starter, I don't see listed for 59-60(?)
There's no diagrams in my parts list.   Maybe something in the shop/owners manual or body manual if there is one(?).
I'd also add to record/tag everything, but you've already stated there were not retaining parts during dismantle.   So either they were lost previously, or there's other issues, like wrong/substituted parts, but too early for that.   
Or go talk to an auto upholstery shop, if no help here.   

The Tassie Devil(le)

The Shop Manual says it is retained by clips.

This is from the Shop Manual.
"4.   At the bottom of the seat back, bend the four body tabs that secure the seat back to the floor panel and to the wheelhouse panel.   On "37" styles, the lower end of the seat back is retained by two body tabs to the floor panel only.

5.   Pull the seat back assembly out of at the bottom until seat back clears body tabs, then raise the seat back upward until seat back disengages from hangers on the seat back panel support.

6.   Remove seat back assembly from body.

7.   To install, reverse removal procedure, making certain that all attaching body tabs and hangers have industrial waterproof body tape applied to them to act as an anti-squeak."

No bolts, just bendable tabs.   What more can I say.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

INTMD8

The Tassie Devil(le)

Actually, they either rust off, or could possibly fall of when bending backwards and forwards too many times.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

The Tassie Devil(le)

Thanks to Chuck Patton for showing us a '59 Convertible for sale, there is a picture of the seat back and the retainer in place.

This car has seriously self-destructed over the years, giving up its' secret on the tab holding the seat back.

Look closely, and the tab can be clearly seen.   Not folded over, but opened up.   And in the picture posted previously by Jim (INTMD8), the remains of the tab can be seen, now that one knows where to look.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

David Greenburg

They are pretty soft and certainly can break off if treated roughly or bent back/forth too many times.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

The Tassie Devil(le)

I agree, but when these cars were built, they weren't designed to be rebuilt many times like they are now.

Fit the seat, bend over, finish the car, and out the door.      Spot welding a couple of tabs that were probably scrap, that can be belted over, meant that they could cut down on the cost of screws, washers, and a tool to install the screws would save time and money on the assembly line.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

goob

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on January 31, 2020, 07:37:21 PM
The Shop Manual says it is retained by clips.

This is from the Shop Manual.
"4.   At the bottom of the seat back, bend the four body tabs that secure the seat back to the floor panel and to the wheelhouse panel.   On "37" styles, the lower end of the seat back is retained by two body tabs to the floor panel only.

5.   Pull the seat back assembly out of at the bottom until seat back clears body tabs, then raise the seat back upward until seat back disengages from hangers on the seat back panel support.

6.   Remove seat back assembly from body.

7.   To install, reverse removal procedure, making certain that all attaching body tabs and hangers have industrial waterproof body tape applied to them to act as an anti-squeak."

No bolts, just bendable tabs.   What more can I say.

That's what the service manual says...if you're not working on a convertible!! If you look at section 54 (b) you will see the instructions for the convertible model...step 4 says: at the bottom of the seat back, remove two screws and washers which secure the seat back frame to the seat back support.

INTMD8

I need better eyes, still cannot see the tab

59-in-pieces

Gary - GOOB,

When all else fails - read the book (Shop Manual) - starting with - to remove the rear seat EXCEPT CONVERTIBLES.......

Isn't this hobby great - thanks Gary.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

goob

Steve - when I did my interior I remember reading that section of the manual...I never saw any tabs, just the screws and washers!

Gary.

The Tassie Devil(le)

If you look at this picture that I have circled the area, and then follow the darker thin blue line, it points to the tab.

You will need to enlarge the picture to make it clearer, but it is there.   And this car is a convertible.   No screws, and as it is so rusty, I would say that it has never been played around with.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

The Tassie Devil(le)

I find it hard to believe that nobody has any other pictures of the tabs, or screws?

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe