News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Daily driver battery lifespan in the USA ?

Started by TJ Hopland, September 08, 2020, 11:43:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike mason

Our experience in the Palm Springs area.
New car batteries last about 3+ years.
Replacement batteries last 2+ years.
No particular abuse.
Buy in auto parts stores.
No bargains.
Don't buy the long life batteries any more. 
They last about the same as the regular life batteries
First Optima lasted forever.
The second Optima did not last forever.
The third Optima--don't know yet.
And yes, in northern California they lasted a lot longer.

TJ Hopland

I don't know that I have ever tried to claim a battery warranty so I had no idea that the trend is away from the prorate.   Most of the ones I was suspect of came to me in cars so I didn't have any paperwork so didn't want the possible hassle of trying to return something I didn't buy in the first place. 

Very interesting that at least one person said they have not seen much difference in the warranty life / grades of batteries.   What have others experienced?

I was leaving the not daily driven classics out of my scientific study here just because irregular use can really effect the life of the battery.    I wounder if my results here may be skewed anyway because I would guess while there are likely some members here with 'imports' its probably a much smaller percentage than the national average.   

On that other forum I know the original poster has Asian cars as did many of the other respondents that did say what brand of car they had.  Maybe Asian cars are harder on batteries especially in hotter climates?  I have almost zero exposure to Asian cars.  I have more recently had and been around some German cars and battery life seems the same on those as my domestic stuff.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Cadman-iac on September 09, 2020, 06:00:40 AM
I've found that if you don't overtax the battery it lasts a lot longer.  I always turn off all accessories,  and I roll up the power windows before I turn off the engine, and I let the engine idle for a bit before I turn it off.  And when I start the vehicle,  I let it run a bit before I turn anything back on or roll down the power windows again. I let the alternator take the load instead of using the battery.
I'm in the southwest and my batteries typically last 5 to 7 years that way. The only time I have an issue is if I leave something plugged into the accessories port.
I figure that if all I use the battery for is the short cranking time, then the charging system will take over and power everything after that.
I have had a few batteries go for longer than 8 years, but that was 20 years ago too, when the quality seemed to be better than what you get today.
The batteries I run are the ones that Walmart sells, but I have noticed that they don't last as long now. It's almost like the manufacturers know how to make one last exactly the length of time of the warranty, give or take a few months.  I've noticed that the warranty period has gotten shorter and shorter,  while the price just keeps going up and up too.

Let me ask everyone this. One local parts store near me told me that they now will only warranty a battery for the length of the free replacement portion of the warranty and after that there's no pro-ration. I was told by said store that all manufacturers were going to this method because of some class action lawsuit over the pro-rating of batteries, because they were not being pro-rated fairly.
Has anyone else heard such a thing? Since then,  I keep checking the battery shelf in Walmart for anything like that about their warranty, but as of yet have not seen anything.

Rick

Complete difference here. In the closed cars the Climate Control is almost Never off, usually on Auto or bi-level. Radios are left on. Windows go down for the cars parked in the garage, usually with the car still running. Twilight Sentinel  is always on Auto for all the cars. The convertible has its Climate Contro Off, but that's vbecause the car almost always has the top down.

Life:
6 years on the batts in the 68 DVC so far, 9 years on the 1996 Fleetwood Brougham so far and I pulled that out or my ElDorado, so 10+ years, 4-5 years on her 11 CTS, I've only had my CTS for a little over 2 years. and it sounds slow but always starts. I have 100 amp chargers in the garage, cables in the cars and a portable USB power pack in my CTS.

All ACDELCO batts except for my CTS. I'm waiting for it to kick the bucked so I can put in an ACDELCO one.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Cadman-iac

I have noticed that the warranty period offered on batteries has gotten shorter and shorter the last 10 years.
The last battery I got for my Suburban was only a 5 year, as that's all that was offered. The one before that was a 9 year, or 108 month battery,  and I actually got 8.5 years out of it before it failed.
Try to find a battery with that warranty now! Ain't gonna happen!
I swear it's a battle between companies to see who can get the most money for the shortest warranty.
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: TJ Hopland on September 08, 2020, 02:24:20 PM
.......   For those outside the USA if you want to look a map and tell us what part of the USA relates to your climate that will help us geographically challenged people know where you fit into the averages.       
Down here on the 41st South Parallel, which would relate to the similar North Parallel as Indiana and across to Connecticut, my batteries, on the average last about 10 to 15 years.

The one in my Boat is 12 years old, and still going strong (Optima Marine)   I disconnect that when not in use.

The secret is to use a Battery Tender for my Cadillac as it gets the least use, but has a constant current draw from the clock..

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I don't think use of the A/C has much bearing on battery life, least of all on Cadillacs after 1962 equipped with alternator instead of generator.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Cadman-iac

Eric,
What I was referring to was the load on the battery when cranking if the accessories were still turned on. That's a big strain on it if the compressor is engaged, the fan is on high, etc...
CLC# 32373

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: Cadman-iac on September 10, 2020, 09:03:53 AM
Eric,
What I was referring to was the load on the battery when cranking if the accessories were still turned on. That's a big strain on it if the compressor is engaged, the fan is on high, etc...

Wouldn't matter at least since early '70s as power to accessories and compressor is cut when ignition switch is in START position. Can't say how much earlier this also applies.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Cadman-iac on September 10, 2020, 09:03:53 AM
Eric,

What Eric says holds true to 1968 at least. Probably back to 1964 with the introduction of Climate Control. 1966 and earlier can't turn the compressor on while starting because the master (steamboat) switch controls the compressor as well.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Cadman-iac

I see what you mean. My point was just to cut the load on the battery and let it recoup for a half a minute or so as the alternator takes over and starts to recharge the battery. 
It probably doesn't matter that much, it's just a habit I got into when I was still driving a vehicle with a generator on it. You know old habits die hard. Alternators pick up the load almost instantly,  versus a generator that requires a specific rpm before it begins to charge.
I have told my wife to keep the accessories off before starting her car, (newer Buick), and don't leave the twilight sentinel on for longer than it needs to be.
The battery on her car sits under the rear seat, so it's not as easy to get at, for me anyway, and anything she can do to improve the life of it is a good idea.

Rick
CLC# 32373

Dave H. (CO)

I'm in Colorado and I've been getting at least 8 years out of most of my batteries.  My truck and motorcycle are on battery tenders when they're not being used.  My tractor sits in a shed for months at a time and I still at least 6+years out of it.  My truck battery is currently 9 years old and it still turns over an 8.1L gm gas engine.
1956 Sedan Deville (current)
1966 Coupe Deville (past)
1966 Coupe Deville (past)
many misc. other brands and models