News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1983 Seville HT4100 cranks, but will not start after rebuild.......HELP!

Started by Vinny6t6, January 31, 2020, 10:41:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vinny6t6

After a successful rebuild, with the car starting right up, it's dead again.  Now car cranks and does not turn over.  Getting fuel pressure at 10psi and car has spark.  I took out the spark plus and grounded it out while cranking and I see spark.  Funny thing, when I pulled the spark plug it was wet with gas.  Figured it was flooded, right?  I took off air cleaner and let the car sit, shot some starter fluid in there and nothing.  It was running nice after the rebuild, but slowly started to lose power, but started every time.  Then it used to start and slowly die out.  Now it wont start at all.  Any ideas?  By the way, no error codes a all.
1966 DeVille Convertible
1980 Eldorado Biarritz
1993 40th Anniversary Corvette 6 Speed

Dan LeBlanc

If you have fuel and you have spark, next I would do a compression test.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Vinny6t6

That's what I was going to do tomorrow.  or maybe a leak down test.  I'll let you guys know.  Thanks for all the advice you have given me. 
1966 DeVille Convertible
1980 Eldorado Biarritz

hornetball

Have you checked timing?  Maybe your distributor is moving around.

Dan LeBlanc

Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Vinny6t6

Answer is none to all of the above.  I've tried it all.  Sad to say we are parting it out.
1966 DeVille Convertible
1980 Eldorado Biarritz

TJ Hopland

Giving up after all that work?

Distributor slipping out of time was my thought too.

10 psi is a little low for fuel pressure but close enough so it should run.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Vinny6t6

Yes and no.  I don't want to put anymore time and money into it. I have too many projects going on like a refresh of my 66 DVC and a motor rebuild on my other vette.  I feel bad because it's two tone black and silver, with wire wheels with knock offs, beautiful red interior and original dash right down to the radio.  However, it has kicked my butt up and down the street.  I'll try timing one more time, but he can make two grand parting it out.
1966 DeVille Convertible
1980 Eldorado Biarritz

76eldo

Can it be a weak or intermittent spark?
The ignition module in the distributor can be bad. I had that happen to an 85 Eldo many years ago.

I’m not sure how to trouble shoot that but you can check to see that your distributor didn’t jump a tooth or two by taking the cap off and bringing it up on TDC and see where it’s pointing. If your gear was worn on the distributor it’s possible.

Good luck.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

SixDucks

It's not to late for an Oldsmobile engine conversion......

Terry
Current:
1941 coupe
1962 Fleetwood
1988 Brougham
Previous:
1956 Series 62 Sedan
1963 Fleetwood
1975 Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance
1989 Brougham

Vinny6t6

I took the distributor out, put the engine at TDC, dropped it in and nothing.  Did not jump a tooth.  I put brand new distributor gear in it.  I already put it on FB marketplace to be parted out and the people are lining up at my house.  My son is making a fortune.  Thanks all in advance for the help
1966 DeVille Convertible
1980 Eldorado Biarritz

76eldo

Sometimes it goes that way.

I hope he nets enough to buy a nice car.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

TJ Hopland

I'm amazed to hear that there are that many local(ish) people interested in parts off an 83 Seville.

Hope he buys another Cadillac so we can see what happens next. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

James Landi

Vincent, this is really such a sad story; however, how you and your son interacted and got the job done --- this is truly worth so much more than the car.  My dad and I, back in 1963, worked on a similar project... even through he was a busy attorney at the time, he always believed that my brother and I should be independent, resourceful, and know how to swing a wrench--- he provided me with an amazingly important life lesson, so hugs to you and your son for your perseverance and ingenuity.   James

76eldo

TJ,

A friend of mine put a 78 Biarritz on Facebook Marketplace and sold everything off of the car in 2 weeks.  Made a lot of money.
There is a huge Cadillac following on Facebook.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Vinny6t6

James, you are right. What I taught him and what he learned was worth more than selling the car.  His dream is an 84 Eldo Conv.  I told him that to just save his money and sometimes one comes out that needs a little cosmetic work.  I loved that when I said I have time to help him, he dropped everything and worked on the car.  Talk about making money in parts.  He sold the trunk lid, head light chrome, tail lights and front grill for $600.  Now someone wants to buy all four doors for $500.  He has these wire rims on it with brand new tires on it that he has had offers for $800.  Its the wire wheels where you have to attach a hub adapter and the rims bolt on with the center spinner only.  Similar to a Jag.
He has not even sold the interior parts yet.  Beautiful blood red with no rips or tears and near mint dash with original radio.  Dash pad is shot though.  Time to move onto next project!
1966 DeVille Convertible
1980 Eldorado Biarritz

James Landi

Hi Vinny,

I sold our terrific CLC president Glenn Brown my 85 Eldorado Convertible with a conversion small block Olds engine a couple of years ago ( spring 2017).  I don't know if he still has it, but I suggest that you connect with him , and find out if he does. It needs work, but you won't have the problems with the 4100 HT engine.   James