News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Reproduction Window Glass

Started by Brubaker, February 04, 2020, 09:53:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brubaker

Hello Everyone,

There are several sources for Reproduction Window Glass for Classic Cars, but does anyone know who actually manufactures the glass?  I can't believe there would be more than one or two large companies (PPG, DuPont, Etc.) who actually manufacture the glass.  If anyone has ordered replacement glass from OPGI.com, for instance, their catalog says the glass is drop-shipped directly from the manufacturer . . . so presumably there may be a return name and address for the manufacturer.

If anyone knows the answer . . . or has an educated guess . . . would you please reply and let me know.

Thank You!
Regards,
David Brubaker

Brubaker

Just to clarify . . . in my post above, I am talking about relatively modern window glass that is tinted and curved, not just "flat" glass.  Thanks.

rwchatham CLC 21892

From what I have been told most of it is made in China . Usually when they drop ship items there are no markings on the box showing the actual source .
R. Waligora

novetti

Float glass is made by several large manufacturers (Saint Gobain, Pilkington, Asahi, PPG, Guardian) among others.

To convert Silica sand and soda ash into glass is a large scale process, with lots of automated controls and lots of energy. Quality is tight controlled.

But to turn those to Auto Glass is the work of the ''converters'', which also a few of the large companies who make the float also convert themselves.

In the conversion that you will find middle/small players. I can't see any of the large converters doing batches for old vehicles today. It takes a lot of effort and time to change the tooling and racking to cut,grind, kiln or laminate a whole line for few pieces that are low volume.

I been to several float plants and large converters for many years at my previous career.

Cheers

Julio
54' Iris Blue (Preservation)
54' Cabot Gray (Restoration)
58' Lincoln Continental Convertible (Restoration)
58' Ford Skyliner (Preservation)

cadillacmike68

I don't think PPG makes auto glass any longer.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

walt chomosh #23510

Hi guys!
  When I bought my 1955CDV 20yrs ago the front windshield was cracked so I bought a used one from Texas and installed it my self. Well, I overtorqued the special nut that the wiper shaft comes thru and cracked the glass! So I found that the only new ones were  "made in South Africa". The replacement glass isn't the same quality as GM. (WHAT IS?) In my case, I have tiny specs that look like chips....and I have quite a few. I may not like them but have to live with them....walt...tulsa,ok

Chuck Swanson

I order mine from here,

https://www.pilkington.com/en/us/automotive/pilkington-classics

and it ships from there.  They also date code

Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

35-709

:)  From the bottom left corner of the Pilkington site ---

Nippon Sheet Glass Co., Ltd.
Head Office - 3-5-27 Mita Minato-ku Tokyo
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on February 05, 2020, 05:52:11 PM
I don't think PPG makes auto glass any longer.

You're correct, Mike.  PPG sold their glass business a
few years ago.  (I live in Pittsburgh).  They wanted to
concentrate on their paint / coatings business.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Chasmann

i just bought 13 pieces of glass for my 36 .I have not had it installed yet but all looks perfect.I used Auto City Classics very reasonable will also date stamp .If interested #763 444 5880.Located in Isanti MN.I have used once before this and i was very satisfied.Charlie M.
1949 SERIES62 4DR SEDAN                                      1936 SERIES 60 4DR TOURING SEDAN

Chuck Swanson

Quote from: 35-709 on February 06, 2020, 08:58:02 PM
:)  From the bottom left corner of the Pilkington site ---

Nippon Sheet Glass Co., Ltd.
Head Office - 3-5-27 Mita Minato-ku Tokyo

Just mentioned ordered from there and they ship from there, in US.  as an FYI, they do manufacture glass in Mexico and then it is shipped to their US location vs Tokyo ;)   As an example, if I ordered vent windows for my '66 which they have in stock, they would ship from US and I would have in a few days.  Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Dan LeBlanc

Quote from: Mike Josephic  CLC #3877 on February 07, 2020, 12:51:48 AM
You're correct, Mike.  PPG sold their glass business a
few years ago.  (I live in Pittsburgh).  They wanted to
concentrate on their paint / coatings business.

Mike

Correct.  Architectural glass was sold to Vitro and auto glass was sold to LKQ.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

DeVille68

The replacement glass for my windshield of my 68 Cadillac has a label from PGW, Solex, Laminated.
I bought it through the bodyshop, and they got it from an importer. But I guess the company Pittsburgh Glass Works (PGW) is the manufacturer and their website: https://www.pgwautoglass.com/ and https://www.buypgwautoglass.com/splautoglass.asp

Best regards,
Nicolas
1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible (silver pine green)

Dan LeBlanc

PPG renamed their auto glass arm PGW (Pittsburg Glass Works) around 2006.  It appears as if post-acquisition, LKQ is still offering the line under the PGW banner.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

cadillacmike68

I just had to have the windshield in the 1996 Fleetwood replaced. GM labeled glass is non-existent, PPG no longer makes the Sungate windshields, Pilkington did not have it either. The only source for the Sungate / solar film windshield was Fuyao Glass, but at least this part # is made in the US. It looks fine, bet even the solar glass needs a mild tint down here in FL. t actually looks nice and clean for a change. The original glass was spotted from hard water over the non blade swept areas.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike