News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Radiator for a 1937 Lasalle sedan

Started by Sally Kay, February 05, 2020, 12:43:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sally Kay

I am new to this forum and need advice.  I just purchased a Lasalle and I am in need of a radiator due to the car running hot. A small leak was also located .
Any advice on where to buy and type of radiator needed. Is it difficult to replace the radiator?  My car is beautiful and I can't wait to cruise in it

carlhungness

Sounds as though you need some assistance in the form of a good mechanic. We could give you chapter and verse on how to remove the radiator from a '37 LaSalle but your question is so basic I don't think you'd know which way to turn. Of course your radiator can be repaired, that's sort of like asking if the vehicle needs gas to run.
      Let us know what city you're in and someone can give you direction and assistance.
      Your post should be on the tech forum of course.

Sally Kay

Thanks for the reply . Sorry if my first question was too basic and in the incorrect forum. I will be checking with a mechanic. I got home with my beautiful Lasalle running hot and I guess I just wanted some support from people with knowledge of the situation. If your intent was to intimidate those new to the forum it worked.  I was hoping this forum would help me make some correct turns when I don't know which way to turn.

Cadillac Jack 82

You'll probably need to get the radiator reworked by Brassworks or some other radiator shop.  1937 LaSalles have a tendency of running hot.  Sometimes its as simple as the front shutters being held closed by the thermostat.  Other times it could be that the water pump needs servicing/replacing.  If your temperature gauge is near the red zone its running too hot and can crack the block.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

harry s

First of all welcome to the forum and congratulations on your acquisition. As Tim mentioned these cars (flathead engine era) have a reputation for overheating. It is best to start with the simplest things first. Unless your engine steamed or boiled over it is good to check the accuracy of your gauge. A good flush of the system then proceed to the more complicated items. There have been discussions in the past on this subject so a forum search would be helpful. If you do some DIY and can't find the answers don't be intimidated ask away. When looking for professional help it is best to try and get recommendations from old car owners and use shops that specialize in our type cars.
Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

carlhungness

As noted, let us know what state you are in and some one of us can point you in the right direction to find a mechanic. For example, Bob Jones radiator shop in Bloomington, IN can assuredly rebuild your radiator and there are others around the country who can do the same.
      I drove my '37 LaSalle coupe 110,000 miles and recall the car getting hot on multiple occasions. It also vapor-locked with some frequency going over Rocky Mountain passes. So you're not going to find a magic bullet to make your old flathead run cool, but it will run at a reasonable temperature if all is in good order.
     I'll be more than happy to personally assist and feel free to e mail me at carlhungness@frontier.com  (812 273-2472 phone) for any questions you have regarding the car.

Cadillac Jack 82

Also check your timing.  I found my timing was off 10 degrees and when I adjusted it my car ran cool.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

DaveZ

Welcome aboard! Always nice to see there are others out there interested in prewar cars. Don't panic just yet as there are multiple reasons it may be running hot. I forget now and can't look back back someone has asked does it boil over or the gauge just move into the red zone? Depending on you answer there would be different avenues to follow. Most of us with the 322 and 346 flatheads are well versed with overheating causes and fixes. Answering the does it boil over and when does it boil over questions will guide you. With mine I had the radiator rebuilt and I took the head bolts out to pressure clean the block. Never near the red even going up long hills in the summer. if the small leak is in the radiator that is where the first and hopefully only problem is. The removal of the radiator is at minimum a 2 person job as you need to take the hood off.  If you decide to take on that venture I can tell you step by step what you need to remove.
Regards,
David Zitzmann
1932 345B

Sally Kay

I am so thankful for all of your posts. We are trying to learn everything we can about my Lasalle and your advice has been very helpful. Ill be asking questions as they look for solutions to the overheating problem.  There was a bubbling sound of water in the radiator when we parked it. Temperature gauge was not on red but close. They have discovered a small leak in the radiator and they are trying to get an additional fan running. We are located in South Louisiana between Lake Charles and Lafayette.

harry s

The bubbling sound you hear when the engine is turned off is another trait of these cars. It is caused by the engine heating up due to the coolant flow stopping. When the radiator is filled too full the coolant will back up through the overflow onto the ground. A good investment would be a non contact thermometer (example: https://www.harborfreight.com/121-infrared-laser-thermometer-63985.html)
This way you can measure the temp at all spots of the system. it is also a good idea to not top off the system but allow it to seek it's level. Keep us posted.   Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

DaveZ

This is just my opinion and others may have different, but adding a fan will not solve your problem. If the coolant is not flowing properly through the engine and radiator no matter how much air you blow through the radiator will not cool the engine.  The water flow through the block and radiator is what is utmost importance. A clean radiator and an open block along with a good water pump is needed. As Harry stated using the thermal reader will tell you exactly how hot is is and if there are hot spots.
Regards,
David Zitzmann
1932 345B

Cadillac Jack 82

The water pump is definitely key.  These prewar cars had awful water pumps.  I had a 1940 Chevrolet business coupe before my 1937 and I noticed that it kept pegging into the red even though I wasn't losing any coolant.  Turns out the pump impeller had failed.  I changed the pump...and presto!  it never really went past the middle mark on the temp gauge.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

35-709

Quote from: DaveZ on February 07, 2020, 07:28:09 AM
This is just my opinion and others may have different, but adding a fan will not solve your problem. If the coolant is not flowing properly through the engine and radiator no matter how much air you blow through the radiator will not cool the engine.  The water flow through the block and radiator is what is utmost importance. A clean radiator and an open block along with a good water pump is needed. As Harry stated using the thermal reader will tell you exactly how hot is is and if there are hot spots.
I second and completely agree with what DaveZ has said.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Sally Kay

We appreciate all of your opinions and suggestions. Your expertise is welcomed.  Worked on the fan on radiator. Wire was disconnected. We will flush the radiator and if it continues to overheat we will repair/replace radiator and /or water pump.

Sally Kay

What are the shutters on the radiator that I am reading about in the forum?  Does a 37 Lasalle have them? They are saying they should be open when overheating.   I also need to know if a 1937 Lasalle has an oil filter?

harvey b

The shutters are in front of the radiator,might be hard to see them if they are still there,they are hooked to a thermostat in the top of the rad.they are supposed to open when the motor warms up.they are a bunch of little flaps?,look just like the ones on a house?.if they are there you can use a wire to keep them open,try that and see if it improves.you can look in through the grille and see if they are there,if your coolant level is low they wont work properly, Harveyb
Harvey Bowness

Sally Kay

An a/c has been added to the car. Part of it is up againt the front of the radiator. Guess we will have to remove that plate  (has sections that look like the side of the radiator) to see if flaps are on there or open.  Thanks

harvey b

What motor is in your car,the original 322 flathead v8,or has it been modified for a newer motor?,if it has a newer motor do you know if it is the original rad or not?,never seen a 322 with A/C. if it has a different rad in it,likely the shutters were not re-used.Any pictures of your car,we love pictures ;D. Harveyb
Harvey Bowness

Sally Kay

I was told it is a 322 flathead and the radiator looks like it was made for the car. The A/C is aftermarket.

Sally Kay

Please give me the steps for removing the radiator.