News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

delay wiper motor for a 82 coupe De Ville

Started by JerRita, February 07, 2020, 09:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JerRita

I replaced the delay wiper/washer motor on my 82 Coupe De Ville It worked fine for a few minutes then only works on full speed Replaced switch and have the same problem?  Someone told me there is a chip or something that controls the speed? Any ideas out there Thanks in advance
Jerry and Rita Trapani #15725 Caddymaniacs

bcroe

Some versions used a capacitor which at this age needs replacement. 
Mine also had a transistor.  Bruce Roe

JerRita

Thanks Bruce where are they located and are they available today? JeRita

bcroe

Since you changed the switch, with good wiring it must be in the
motor unit.  With that plastic cover snapped off, the delay parts
will probably be evident.  The kind of parts I have seen are easily
available.  Likely a bit of internet search will show up exactly how
your assembly is put together. 

If your model uses a separate Wiper Pulse Module between the motor
and the switch, the fault may be there instead of the motor unit.  Get
the factory service manual. 

Bruce Roe

TJ Hopland

GM had a lot of similar but different versions of the delay system in that era sometimes 2 different systems in the same model and model year car.  There were some that had the module between the switch and motor.  Others it was in the motor and others the brains were in the switch.  Some even used the same connectors so you could easily get a combo of parts that would not work correctly together.   At this age I would not trust any 'regular' parts source to know the difference and get you the correct parts.  If it was a specialty vendor you would have a much better chance.

I'm fuzzy on the details now but I remember one car where I had major issues that were finally solved by disconnecting the wire that make the wipers run when you only pushed the wash button.  I think it was a difference between a Cadillac where you could not be expected to have to turn the wipers on or off just to do a wash and say a Buick where when you pushed the wash button there was a mechanical mechanism that moved the motor switch to on and then expected you to turn it back off when the wash cycle was done.   The motor was listed the same for both cars but there was for sure a difference in the wiring to accommodate the different control methods. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

JerRita

Thanks for the replies I used a new motor from NAPA and a switch from another car. The washers work but the wipers only cycle on full speed. When the switch is in any delay position they try to move but only a little. I have to turn the switch off to stop completely them if that helps. JeRita 

TJ Hopland

A new motor from Napa likely has a 'modern' version of the module in it assuming its the type with the module in the motor.   

What was wrong with your old one?  Maybe have a look to see if the module part could be swapped between the motors?  The ones I have dealt with the board was a totally different design but they did interchange on the motors.   If its there its under the plastic cover where the washer pump is housed. 

bcroe

Its interesting that we have identified 3 different delay designs for 80,
81, and 82.  Guess we need some kind of chart/spreadsheet showing
the possibilities and ways to identify which parts are which.  I note the
80 had 2 wires from motor to switch, the 81 had one.  An 82 had an
extra module between them, but perhaps that is not the complete story. 

I have set up some complete systems in the wrong year car, but the
parts need to be a matched set.  Bruce Roe

Dan LeBlanc

I know for 77 that the delay board is in the washer pump and not part of the wiper motor itself. If you have a second two prong plug on the washer pump, that's your delay.

Did your new motor come with the pump or did you have to transfer it?
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Dan LeBlanc

I just looked it up on RockAuto. The washer pump is the same part number as my 77. Anco 6119 is the replacement pump including delay board. It's currently on wholesaler clearout for $35.76CAD.

It's currently cheaper than buying just the delay board.
Dan LeBlanc

TJ Hopland

More evidence pointing towards thing being a mess today if rock says the delay board is the same 77-82 but Bruce and I think there are 3 different systems.  Different number of wires to the switches and extra modules really don't seem like they would all work with the same module.   Bet its a case where aftermarket just figures one size kinda fits all.

bcroe

My drawing says there is no motor module when an external
module is used.  And likely not all cars of the same year used
the same parts. 

Would not be the first time the after market did not get the picture
right.  Bruce Roe

TJ Hopland

They may have got the picture right just didn't bother to go any further and see whats inside. 

Dan LeBlanc

The easy way to tell is if there's two plugs going to the washer pump.  One is for the solenoid to activate the washer and the other is for the delay board.
Dan LeBlanc

JerRita

Gentlemen thank you for all the replies I got called out of town for a family issue and couldn't reply The motor I got from NAPA was a generic with the delay motor inside At this point I'm not sure what I have anymore The original motor was changed before I got the car and they installed a toggle switch under the dash to get power JeRita