News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

What is it worth?

Started by spolij, February 10, 2020, 03:17:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spolij

What is your classic and how much is it worth? Is anybody near the hundred thousand dollar range?
I have a 66 Deville convertible, most of the options not worth much right now when I'm done it may be in to the $25-$30,000 range.

Dan LeBlanc

I'm not sure I understand the purpose of this question.

Until a transaction takes place between a buyer and a seller, worth is a matter of speculation.  It only ceases to become speculative once a transaction occurs and the buyer and seller reach a mutually favourable deal.  I could say that my 77 Brougham is worth $100,000 but when I go to sell it, only end up with $500.  To discuss something so subjective is an exercise in frivolity at best where tempers get inflamed, spitting matches commence, and people end up leaving the discussion insulted.

So, it's probably sufficient to say this question is rhetorical at best.  Additionally, to ask if anyone is anyone near the $100k range is akin to asking someone to whip out and show you their bank book.  There are some in this club that have cars worth well in excess of that amount, but you'll never know it, because they are reserved and don't flaunt it.  That part of the question is quite insulting, actually.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

carlhungness

Caddyholic

Look at Hagerty valuation to get an idea. With a grain of salt.
I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1961 Series 62 Convertible Coupe http://bit.ly/1RCYsVZ
1962 Coupe Deville

spolij

Dan Carl Jim Just a simple question. May be i should have said what would you THINK it was worth, What would be your asking price?

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

This is a ridicules topic & should be deleted by the moderators.
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

carlhungness

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Quote from: spolij on February 10, 2020, 03:17:23 PM
"I have a 66 Deville convertible, most of the options not worth much right now when I'm done it may be in to the $25-$30,000 range."

To the OP -- If you want to get an idea of what your 66
Series 62 convertible would be worth fully restored, I
suggest you check some of the online auction sites to
get an idea.

Hemmings runs auctions all the time.  Check this link:
https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/?adtypeFacet=Vehicles%20for%20Sale&makeFacet=Cadillac&modelFacet[]=Coupe%20deVille&modelFacet[]=DeVille

Also, you can check Hagerty's value link to get a rough
idea.  They do need to be taken with a grain of salt since
their number is a broad "AVERAGE" for the year /  type
but it gets you into the ballpark.

If you are wondering if you are a candidate for the six
figure club with such a car, I have to tell you sadly NO. 
But I think you already knew that.

Mike 

1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

jdemerson

I understand and appreciate both sides of the discussion here (including John's original post).  But to me the replies feel a bit harsh for a Cadillac club with enthusiasts who represent all sorts of interests. Isn't the best way to respond to the OP, if you find it an objectionable question, simply -- NOT to reply?  Seems so simple and easy...and avoids creating hard feelings among friends.

I'm often very interested in the approximate values and selling prices of Cadillacs. And besides just natural curiosity, there are several possible reasons to be interested:

• Suppose someone is having expensive work done on their car -- perhaps a quality paint job and re-chroming. He/she may find it helpful to know the approximate value of the car when work is completed. If one is rational, what might it make sense to invest in upgrading the car?
  • How much difference does the specific model make in a car's value? With '52s I am amazed at the difference between a four-door sedan and a Coupe DeVille -- both in comparable condition. And what about a '52 Convertible in top #1 condition and with 22,000 original miles? Perhaps it could top $100,000. I can think of a certain '53 model that can easily exceed more than twice that! And then I think of some of the late '50s models I drooled over in St. Louis last June...  :)
  • On a more serious note, I have a longtime and close friend whose health is deteriorating and who has decided within the past few weeks that he will need to sell his car. I've worked with him on his car over the years. I have a pretty good idea of what he has invested in it. He will not get this investment back, in part because his car, too, is a four-door sedan. But he wants to know what is the best return he could hope to get, and what is a realistic selling price? He probably can't list it for sale and wait for a year or more to see what the response is. NOT a happy situation...
  • I especially understand the objection to the question: Is YOUR car worth over $100,000? If I had a 1956 Eldorado Biarritz in #1 condition, I would be delighted to answer "YES!". But I don't, and for my beloved '52 6219X the answer is "NO!". There...that hurt only a little bit...  :) :)
  • There's often speculation about the market for our classics going down -- especially for pre-war cars and 50s cars. Discussions of estimated values of particular models today may be of interest to some -- and if not, I don't have to read them or to respond to posts.
I would not vote for deleting these posts.  I can think of other posts that were deleted, where I wish they hadn't been, because I felt they contained information that could benefit other members. And I can think of a few message strings that should have been deleted ... and most eventually were. Not always an easy call.

John Emerson
1952 Cadillac Sedan 6219X
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

Greg C

spolij

You are taking this way too serious.
Thank you John. Mike not at all what i wanted re: An official value. And thank you for not being an ass like others. Good idea you others didn't have to be so sarcastic. It was a simple question. What do YOU think it's worth to you!

BOB HOFFMAN GO AHEAD AND HAVE IT DELEATED. i WOULD, BUT I DON'T KNOW HOW AND I WOULDN'T GET THE LAST WORD IN. kISS MY ...

Dan LeBlanc

Quote from: spolij on February 10, 2020, 03:17:23 PM
What is your classic and how much is it worth? Is anybody near the hundred thousand dollar range?

I'm unsure of what part of these questions you don't think would be insulting to others.  It's nobody's business but my own what my cars are worth, what my house is worth, how much money is in my bank account, etc.  Would you walk up to a complete stranger on the street and ask them any of those questions?  Probably not, because, if you did, you'd get likely a much harsher response than you got here.  Questions like that at car shows are a huge annoyance to me.  I had a guy at Hershey walk up to my car on the show field and shout out to me "what's this thing worth, anyway."  I happened to be in a good mood that day and only replied with "if you have to ask, you can't afford it."  Luckily for him I woke up on the right side of the bed that day otherwise I would've likely been asked to leave the show.

Your two questions prefacing your inquiry about the value of your own car are the two most insulting questions I have read on this forum in the 11 years I have been a member here.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Hey guys, Maybe time to take a breath or two.
First of all John, typically it would take a $60,000 to $70,000 "frame off" restoration to make a 65 convert worth $30,000.
That said I get that "would you sell it for $ X?" all the time with any of my 70's cars, and my simple answer is "I'm having too much fun to sell it".
In this day and age it seems like the price of everything and anything is available just "a click away", and what was common courtesy a generation ago (not asking questions about money and values) is a moot point to many.
There are often topics and posts on this and other forums that I find offensive for one reason or another, but I don't let them rent space in my head.
Other than the professional and semi professional car dealers out there, this forum is intended for dissemination f information and enjoyment of Cadillacs.  At least that's why I am here.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

spolij

Dan & Greg   I had no intent on insulting or prying into someone elses financial status. To me some one inquiring about the value of a classic car is not a big deal. Maybe im not in an income bracket that it's insulting to.
Obviously your upset and offended and i do apologize for that. I didn't mean to pry into your personal life i just didn't think my question was doing that.
Again I do apologize to you and (almost) (just kidding), anyone else. That i offended. You too Bob
John

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

John
I definitely do not consider the “value” question an insult in this day and age. It might have been a generation or so back but not now

Greg surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

D.Smith

There will always be those people who know price of everything and the value of nothing…

Jason Edge

I've found most of these replies amusing. If it upsets you just don't answer. I have a pretty decent 1964 Cadillac Coupe de Ville and probably the #1 question I get when someone steps in my garage and see's it is "What do you think it is worth?". I don't get offended or put off by the question and actually expect it especially by those unfamiliar with classic Cadillacs.

To the original question, what I will tell you is what I tell everyone... I've easily spent $50K in the last 25 years to make my 64 Caddy a pretty decent frame up restoration car, but I think the street resale value is probably $18K to $20K, but to me the personal value is priceless and will never sell anyway. 

What I will not do is put a value on someone else's car! I will point to various websites and venues and encourage them to look for actual selling prices instead of listing prices... which are basically meaningless. I also share the fact that almost everything follows the Price vs Condition J curve in that the values go up considerably as you approach a #1, pristine, like new condition car, however, convertibles and specific rare & desirable body styles usually have a steeper J curve. 

Finally, this made me think about the old saying about restoring cars: "Be sure to save your receipts... just never total them up!"
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - https://6364cadillac.ning.com
Carolina Region Webmaster - https://cr-clc.ning.com
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

spolij

Jason    "Be sure to save your receipts... just never total them up!"  lmao   :D

Scot Minesinger

This forum is supposed to be fun and informative.  I don't think anyone intends to insult anyone, expect the best in people and especially the participants on this forum. 
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

chrisntam

When folks ask me how much mine is worth, I tell them ones like mine can generally be bought for $15k to $25k, condition, option and color dependent.

I've asked people in the past what their cars would sell for, never got socked in the eye.

I won't ask Dan, Carl or Bob on the forum, just send me a pm on their values.

Remember, its the dead of winter, highs in the mid 40s to low 50s, we got nuthin' else to do.

I agree with Jason about not adding up the receipts.

;)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas