News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1967 1968 horn pad identification

Started by 6262, February 11, 2020, 06:52:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Someone offered me a nice horn pad for a '67/'68 Cadillac. But I am not sure about the color judging from the pictures. '67/'68 Teal interior colors look very similar.

Is there a way to tell the difference between the horn pads of both years?
1962 Cadillac Series 62
1965 Pontiac Bonneville

cadillacmike68

Sun fading can have an effect on the color as well.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Cadman-iac

Depending upon where it came from too, they will change color just from the extreme heat from being inside of a closed vehicle in the heat of summer year after year.
Some of mine have even shrank down to the point of not wanting to fit properly,  and the worst of them get really sticky and gooey. 
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Thanks.

But is there a way to identify them? Maybe a parts number? I couldn't find any information in the Master Parts List...
1962 Cadillac Series 62
1965 Pontiac Bonneville

Cadillac Fleetwood

Quote from: 6262 on February 11, 2020, 12:30:18 PM
Thanks.

But is there a way to identify them?

Identification as to year is easy.  All 1967 crests (and wreath/crest ensembles, where applicable), are in bright chrome.  All 1968's are a dull argent finish.

-Charles
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

Cadman-iac

Quote from: 6262 on February 11, 2020, 12:30:18 PM
Thanks.

But is there a way to identify them? Maybe a parts number? I couldn't find any information in the Master Parts List...

A picture of the one you are trying to identify would help also.
CLC# 32373

Quote from: Cadillac Fleetwood on February 11, 2020, 12:44:38 PM
Identification as to year is easy.  All 1967 crests (and wreath/crest ensembles, where applicable), are in bright chrome.  All 1968's are a dull argent finish.

-Charles

Charles, you make it sound so easy... But after staring for a long time I am still not sure :)

Quote from: Cadman-iac on February 11, 2020, 12:53:59 PM
A picture of the one you are trying to identify would help also.

Great idea.

1962 Cadillac Series 62
1965 Pontiac Bonneville

Cadman-iac

If you go by what Charles says, and I have no reason to doubt him, it looks like it is for a '67. The chrome on the emblem is a bit dirty,  but that's normal enough. It doesn't look like it's the Argent one to me.
It looks to be in really good shape as well. If the price is right,  why not?
If it fit anything I have I would go for it.

Just my opinion.
Rick
CLC# 32373

Cadillac Fleetwood

The photo dispels all doubt; it is from 1967.  The plastic inlay trim is also bright and shiny and "chrome-like", whereas on the 1968 the inlay has a more subdued finish.  In any event, these often have to be re-dyed when the interior is restored, since the color often fades or weathers differently from the dash top or other plastic parts.

It just may be the photo, but the part appears to be more "blue" than code 368 "medium aqua".
-Charles
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

Cadillac Fleetwood

Quote from: Cadillac Fleetwood on February 11, 2020, 07:52:57 PM
The photo dispels all doubt; it is from 1967.  The plastic inlay trim is also bright and shiny and "chrome-like", whereas on the 1968 the inlay has a more subdued finish.  In any event, these often have to be re-dyed when the interior is restored, since the color often fades or weathers differently from the dash top or other plastic parts.

It just may be the photo, but the part appears to be more "blue" than code 369 "aqua".
-Charles
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

cadillacmike68

That's definitely not blue. Not even a faded blue.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike