News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1957 cadillac Biarritz parade boot parts

Started by 57CaddyBiarritz, February 12, 2020, 09:50:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

57CaddyBiarritz

During the restoration of my 1957 Biarritz the parade boot attachment pieces were lost . Not the chrome latches that are 2 parts that fit and slide together . The parts that hold the latches in and the wire pieces that  have a bolt that they fit on . From eBay I see the pieces but none are for sale . Can someone with these parts send me photos of the parts and tell me they work together, especially the wire parts ? I have started to fabricate them myself but am in the blind for the most part  . I have attacks photos of the underside of boot area and pieces I need  If anyone has the for sale please let me know . Jim and John.

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Sorry, I can't help you on your request, but I thought this might be interesting. Back in the mid 1960s I found the center section of the hard boot. I carried that thing around with me to swap meets for well over a year before someone finally needed it. Sure wish I'd have kept it.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

57CaddyBiarritz

Thank for the thought but would have a picture of that piece . Jim

Quentin Hall

Easy to fabricate. I’ll try to remember to take a pic today.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Quentin Hall

53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

57CaddyBiarritz

Quentin Great pictures I think i can make everything , are parts made of spring steel or mild steel ? The wire pieces  how do they work with fiberglass pieces ? I am jealous of your shorts and flip flops you must be south ? Thanks So much Jim

35-709

"I am jealous of your shorts and flip flops you must be south ?"

Boy, is he ever.   ;D
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Quentin Hall

To be fair.... I was wearing thongs because my work boots were soaking wet from the deluge the days and weeks prior. Welcome to Australia. Burning one day, flooding the next.
All the pieces are spring steel  except for the 3mm support plate. Go to the message reply I sent you. You will need spring steel rod but I’ve used stainless for the sliding pieces.
The pics are of original pieces but I have made many of the wire spring pieces prior. ... and wear the scars of trying to bang it around in a vice. So be careful. !!!! I probably should have shown the full wrap and the locating screw. It just does a full loop. The claw grips under the stainless well trim so make sure you don’t make it too long and puncture the convert top when installing it. It needs enough to tension to hold in place.
Make the wire ones first and install the side panels on the car prior to fitting the mid section.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

57CaddyBiarritz

dear Quentin
I bought some stainless steel wire for making springs . Then i copied your pictures .Then i took thin  easy bendable wire as a mock up . Then i put mock up on bolt in boot end and placed on car to see how this works. What i found that wire swung on bolt and  hooked the body of car to hold end pieces to car . My next step i think I should do is to finish by adjust SS wire in place so it will grab body correctly ?? please see pictures that i just added . Thanks for your help Jim

Quentin Hall

Looking good shim. The little double back at the end is just so your thumb has purchase when you spring it down into position. Eureka! I think you’ve got it.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

artdan

Thanks for the terrific post
I need to do the same with my parade boot.
It came with the latches, but none of the spring steel or wire.
I have been copying images from the eBay listings I have found, but this is so much better!
1957 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Continental Mark II
1960 Corvette
1956 Thunderbird (sold)
1965 Buick Riviera (sold)
1975 Datsun 280 Z (sold)