News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1970 heat rising shield ( plated or painted )on drivers side manifold

Started by Bill Balkie 24172, February 12, 2020, 07:30:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello ,
    I am in the process of cleaning up my air filter components on my 1970 Cadillac . Every part of the assembly is black except for the crank case ventilating breather . That is the same color as the valve covers . The hot air duck is painted black  that fits into the heat shield . Does anybody  know what color the heat shied is supposed to be ?  This part attaches to the manifold with two 1/4 -20 nuts . Was this part cadmium plated or was it just painted ?

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

35-709

I can't answer that for certain but am not sure it was plated or painted at all.  I sandblasted my rusty shield and painted it with high temp black paint and it has held up well.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello G.
   That sounds like a good idea to me .  It took me about  5 days of soaking those nuts and every morning I would try ever so carefully to move them ever so slightly . The shield is off the car now . It was a challenge to sneak it out . And will be just as much as a challenge installing it . Probably paint it high heat black with some Stainless washers and nuts .  It will be interesting hearing from some other owners and their ideas .
     Bill 
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Cadillac Fleetwood

I am the second owner of my 1970 Fleetwood Brougham.  There was no sign of any paint on it when I got the car in 1985 with 51,000 miles. It appeared to be unpainted steel.  Years later, I had it powder-coated in gloss black, which has held up.

-Charles
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

No paint on any of my 70's car's heat shields. They do look good cleaned and painted HT Black though.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-