News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1975 Eldorado Covvertible Top Replacement

Started by stowe75, February 14, 2020, 05:35:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stowe75

Hello.
  I am looking to have my top replaced, frame motor and bushings in good shape. I think I may need to attempt to do this myself. I can not find anyone local to take on the job. Has anyone completed this job as a DYI. If so any tips on install or any references available.

Thanks
Chris

Jeff Wilk

"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

stowe75

76eldo

Unless you are very talented the tops on the 71-76  convertibles are very complicated and you are lucky to find a competent experienced trim shop to do these.
I’d say as a DIY job it’s not a recommended way to go.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

danjarrett1

Yes, the scissor tops are a mess to configure and get right. I was fortunate, a local auto upholstery shop here in Paducah Kentucky does top replacements on scissor tops from all the place. They did a great job on my 74 Eldorado. I do have one bit of advice however, if your actuators have never need apart, the factory installed grease in the gears has hardened and make it very difficult to articulate. They’re very easy to remove while your having the top replaced. There are about three metal gears and a nylon worm gear. The unit is serviceable by replacing  just a few cover plate screws. Re-install and calibrate the actuator arm’s together before attaching the drive cables.  It makes the top work so much more smooth
1974 Cadillac Eldorado convertible
2007 Cadillac Escalade
1980 Cadillac Seville “Bustleback”
1985 Cadillac Eldorado

stowe75

Thanks.
  What is the process to calibrate the actuators?
Chris

danjarrett1

I will find the documentation that I followed and post it for you here. Likely tomorrow
1974 Cadillac Eldorado convertible
2007 Cadillac Escalade
1980 Cadillac Seville “Bustleback”
1985 Cadillac Eldorado

James Landi

A cautionary note follows:

When I owned a '61 convertible many decades ago, I brought it to a national chain (Rayco) that claimed to replace convertible tops (along with every other car repair).  They marketed three "grades" of tops-- each with a  longer guarantee, but I suspect they were all of the same material.  The shop had to put on three tops before they got the fourth one correct.  It was similar to the "Goldilocks" story--- too big, too little, crooked, and finally, just about right.  I say "just about" because I had to use vice grips on the latches during cool weather.  By way of summary, take your car to someone who is experienced and will be careful in every aspect of the installation, including the care of the interior of your car during the process.      James

76 cadillac bob

I have a 1976 eldo convertible, and had the top replaced including painting the metal frame black and having the upholstery company tweak the mechanism. They specialize in upholstery and tops and carpet, plus any part of the interior. Unfortunately they are in Oceanside California and I am now in Boise. I do not recommend doing the top yourself, as the scissor tops are heavy and must be adjusted carefully. Try and find a similar business in your area. Check classic car clubs for recommendations.
My top works great I keep it greased and open and close it regularly to keep parts moving even in winter in a heated garage, at 52 degrees everything gets a little stiff.
Good luck.

35-709

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

spolij

I'm pretty handy. I tried it myself. Even had a install booklet. I ruined 2 rear windows before i even got to the top. Mine is going to a shop. FIND somebody.

DanishEldoradoFan

These cissor tops are a nightmare to replace. It cost me 2 rear windows, before I had a new top up and running.

The "top-shop" who replaced it at last, broke the rear window during the process. This is NOT a "Do it yourself task" ......
Niels, Denmark

The Tassie Devil(le)

I replaced one in a '71, and didn't find it that difficult.   I will be doing my own in my '72 one day.

The only problem I had was that it was in mid winter here, and had to get some heat into the workshop to get some nice stretch.

The simple thing is to follow the instructions to the letter in the Shop Manual, plus also follow the tips from the top material provider that comes with the top.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   Built my own folding Carson top for my '53 Chev Sedan when I cut the roof off back in 1967, and then assisted a friendly upholsterer when I replaced the top on my '55 Chev Convertible in 1976.   My philosophy is that if someone else can do something, there is no real reason I can't do it without reading, watching, and practicing.

PPS.   Plus, remove the old top carefully to see how it was put on.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TonyZappone #2624

Carl's Auto Seat covers is a multi generation shop, in Rochester, N.Y.   Been there over 40 years.  Did all our trim work for our dealership for almost forty years.  Second generation, Sam, learned from his father and uncle.  A good trimmer.  Put top on my '76 when I owned it, and rear window in my '58 (still tight and perfect after 30 Years)  Biggest problem on the fwd big convertibles (among many, I am sure) are the wrinkles on the C pillar area.  Call Sam at Carl's, you may say I recommended them.  In Buffalo, Moser's upholstery shop is very capable.  Trimmed one of my Pierces and put incredible tops on both of them.  Leo has passed on, his son Donald is very capable.
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle