News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1952 Cadillac 331

Started by Harold Brown, February 17, 2020, 02:07:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harold Brown

Getting ready to put my rebuilt engine back in the car. When I took it out I unbolted the motor mounts from the frame and took them out with the engine. Anyone have any suggestions if I should bolt the mounts to the engine then put it in the car, or is it easier to bolt the motor mounts to the frame first and then put the engine in? Just wondering. H.Brown

Cadman-iac

Harold,

Not sure about the 52, but on my 56 the holes for the mounts on the frame are slotted so that the mounts can be removed with the engine,  and thus installed with it as well.
If yours has the slots on the frame,  I would be willing to bet that you can put the mounts on the engine first,  then install it all together.
Trying to line up the mounts to the engine afterwards is going to be very difficult.
Hope this helps,
Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Jay Friedman

Quote from: Cadman-iac on February 17, 2020, 04:51:08 PM
Harold,  Not sure about the 52, but on my 56 the holes for the mounts on the frame are slotted so that the mounts can be removed with the engine,  and thus installed with it as well. 
If yours has the slots on the frame,  I would be willing to bet that you can put the mounts on the engine first,  then install it all together.
Trying to line up the mounts to the engine afterwards is going to be very difficult.
Hope this helps,
Rick

I agree with Rick for exactly the same reasons regarding my '49 with a 331 motor.  I don't know '52s either, but I bolt the mounts to the motor first and then lower the motor which I'm sure is easier.

1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."