News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Does any one have a 61 Eldorado? Interior help

Started by mrcadillac, February 19, 2020, 10:24:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrcadillac

Hi

I have a 61 Eldorado Biarritz, factory bucket seat car. Its due to go to the trim shop for the seats and door panels redone soon, i'd like to get it as correct looking as possible, as my seats have been redone badly before i dont want to use them as patterns.

If any one has a 61 Eldo, bucket seat car, or even bench with an original interior , and can help me with some detailed photos, dimensions of pleats, panels etc, please let me know

Thanks
Andy

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Here are a few I found if it's of any help.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

mrcadillac

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on February 19, 2020, 10:38:47 AM
Here are a few I found if it's of any help.

many thanks Eric, i have a couple of pics from that car but not in such detail
Andy

Caddyholic

Eric

Do you know the trim code on that car?
I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1961 Series 62 Convertible Coupe http://bit.ly/1RCYsVZ
1962 Coupe Deville

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

No but it appears to fit the description of Jade Florentine/Ostrich leather
which would be 16B (B for buckets).

The steering wheel however is incorrect for this interior.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0518-327057/1961-cadillac-eldorado-biarritz-convertible/
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

mrcadillac

I also meant to add, my car is trim code 19B, Red Florentine and Ostrich Leather, does any one have a brochure pic or even better original car with this colour trim so i can get an idea of the original shade
Andy

jagbuxx #12944

Quote from: mrcadillac on February 23, 2020, 03:54:42 AM
I also meant to add, my car is trim code 19B, Red Florentine and Ostrich Leather, does any one have a brochure pic or even better original car with this colour trim so i can get an idea of the original shade
Hers a photo of a nice original ‘61 interior in red.
It is a shiny metallic type of leather.
SMS should be able to supply the leather.
For your Eldorado I believe the pleated inserts would be the ostrich grain.
Frank Burns #12944
76 Coupe d'Elegance EFI Galloway Green Firemist
70 deVille Convert San Mateo Red
61 Coupe Deville Bristol Blue
41 Series 61 Deluxe Coupe 6127D Black
08 STS 3.6 1SC  Thunder Gray
16 GTI Gray
03 T-Bird Black
16 Grand Cherokee Summit, Granite
19 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH
07 Corvette Blue
20 MB S450 White

"Whatever the occasion, there
is no better way to arrive than in a Cadillac.

mrcadillac

Mine has been redone in the past, I don’t think it’s leather at the moment as it should be, it’s not in great shape or a great job. I want to get it redone in the near future, I like the shiny metallic red but in leather it’s super expensive, and cost aside SMS are slow to deal within my experience, we can get leather matched here in the UK but I’m not sure on the correct shade

Andy

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Andy

Attached is a scan of your interior leather and  Pompeian Red paint Code 50 at the top. The leather color is almost identical to the paint with a metallic finish. This is an eBay auction for a ’61 Upholstery Selector for $40, a great price if it contains the samples (Code 19) for your car. It would be helpful if you decide to proceed. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-CADILLAC-COLORS-AND-UPHOLSTERY-SELECTIONS-ELDORADO-SIXTY-TWO-FLEETWOOD/372653554117?hash=item56c3e1f9c5:g:UWAAAOSwLdpcq3br

The general configuration of the upholstery in your car appears correct with two caveats. The pleated areas should be Ostrich Grain leather- cow hide, no ostriches were used making your interior. The ostrich grain is done by stamping and steam between steel plates. You have to find a supplier who deals with a secondary processor with access to the graining plates. SMS is material supplier, not manufacturer. There are others who advertise in the Self Starter, such a Keleen Leather in Illinois. They have many grain patterns for other vehicles and may have ostrich grain.

The bolster along the upper part of the rear seat appears to be too wide by half and should be higher up on the seat back.  The pleats should be  ¾” wide and are sewn using a “blind stich”  which appears the way yours were done. Your pleats appear to be 1” wide using fewer pleats for the same width panel. .You can discuss this with the upholsterer based on his skill and patience with the job….It’s very tedious making such narrow pleats

You have a beautiful car and doing things over authentically would add value, but it will be expensive. I’d be braced for a $8000 to $10,000 estimate for the full interior.

HTH,
Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

mrcadillac

Thanks for the info Ralph, all very helpful,useful, I will check out the EBay link. Wether or not I decide to go with factory correct leather I’d like to at least get the proportions right on the pleats and borders on the seats, as you’ve pointed out they are off , the door panels and rear panels are also off that’s why I’d love to find someone with another bucket seat car to get some measurements off for my trim guy. I’ve seen another car redone with the Ostrich leather and I’m not a fan of the grain though I generally like to do things as they should be but I’m in 2 minds with this one as I’ve got to live with the car.
It’s not a bad car, came from New York area to Sweden in 2017 then to me in the Uk last Septembers, I had a 60 Eldo previously also black with red interior and a 49 Convertible before that also black with red interior.
Andy