News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Number of 1937 LaSalle that exist today

Started by Sally Kay, February 19, 2020, 07:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sally Kay

I sent for the build sheet and I have seen the number of 1937 LaSalle 5019 sedans  (4 door ) sold -- But I am curious about the number of cars like mine that still exist.  I also want to ask if anyone has seen a 1937 sedan with two wheel fender mounts(if that is what you call the place to put the spare tire)?  One more question- Did all 4 door sedans have suicide doors on 1937 LaSalle?

J. Skelly

I'll attempt to answer your questions in order:

There were 21,514 5019 sedans built, and an additional 314 crated for export.

It's impossible to state how many still exist.  Typically for most cars, 1% survive after 80-100 years.  Generally speaking, extremely desirable cars have a higher survival rate if they were expensive to begin with, or were a popular used car (think '57 Chevy), and a desirable body style (convertible, hardtop, coupe).  A four-door sedan is usually considered to be a less desired car, an is/was often used for parts to restore a more desirable body style. 

Fenderwells for both spare tires was a $65.00 option.  Metal tire covers were $15.00 each.  Since I was born in the 1950s, I don't know if I've seen one like yours.  Spare tires mounted on the side of a car are usually referred to as sidemounts. 

All '37 LaSalle 4-door sedans (including the convertible version) had rear suicide doors.
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

suchan

Google and ye shall find (I hope I attached the right file).
Sidemounts seem to be quite rare on LaSalle sedans. It's odd; Buick Centurys, with the same body shell, often as not have sidemounts, including sedans. Many folks prefer sidemounts, but I have to admit, I'm partial to non-sidemount cars. They emphasize the Streamline moderne styling.
How about posting some photos?
Southworth, Washington
CLC #28060
1937 LaSalle 5019 Sedan
Cars that got away:
1930 Ford Model A Roadster and AA Flatbed
(2) 1938 Buick Sedans
1942 Chev Blackout Coupe
1953 Ford F100
1955 Ford Victoria
1956 Sedan DeVille
1962 Peugeot 403
1965 Peugeot 404
1971 Eldorado Convertible

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

1% would translate to ~ 210 1937 LaSalles extant which seems awfully low to me. Attrition rate is greatest in the first 30 years but slows down considerably thereafter.  In other words, the number of 1937 LaSalles lost from 1937 - 1967 was many times the number lost between 1967 - 1997 which probably didn't change all that much being it was a solid collectible during that time. 

Generally speaking, the more exclusive the car the higher the survival rate. Knowing LaSalle's ranking I'd put it at least 10% if I had to guess.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Tom Boehm

A good starting place is the CLC Roster. There are 51  1937 Lasalle 4 door sedans owned by members in the 2020 roster. My guess is there are more than that out there owned by non club members. 1937 was the highest production year for Lasalles at more than 32,000. Second highest was 1940 at more than 24,000.

J. Skelly

I counted 47 of the 5019 body style in the latest roster, which is less than 1% of this body style's total production.  Even doubling, tripling or quadrupling the number out there in running condition, in barns, junkyards and garages, it's still a small survival rate.  Sadly, the interest in pre-war cars diminishes with each passing year as fewer people are alive who can relate to seeing these vehicles as new and used cars.  With restoration costs being what they are, even fewer of these will be saved.  The collecting trend is toward exotics, pony and muscle cars.  Cadillac V-12 and V-16 models will continue to be strong since they are considered by many to be the most desirable Cadillac to collect.   
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

Jay Friedman

I have a '49 Cad Club Coupe.  There are about 270 '49s listed in the CLC directory and and I'm guessing there are probably another couple of hundred out there among non-members, making for about 500 '49s extant.  Since there were 92,000+ '49s manufactured that translates to about 0.5% being still around.  In my humble opinion that percentage is probably typical for most collectible cars more than 60 years old.  There are probably even lower percentages of cars that are not particularly desirable. 

Exceptions might be Model A Fords, as I once read that upwards of 10% of Model As are still here, though that does seem high.  There also seems to be lots of 55-57 Chevs around. 

And what about Rolls Royces and Deusenbergs (spelling)?  Apparently relatively few of those marques have been scrapped. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Number of cars registered in the CLC is only small percentage of the total.

Bill Refakis estimates the total number of '59 EBZ at ~ 400/+ worldwide yet only 60 appear listed in the directory. I also think 59 EBZ owners are also more likely to be CLC members than owners of '37 LaSalles many of which I suspect have gone into hiding after earlier owners have passed.

Were '37 LaSalle sedans suddenly worth six-figures, I have no doubt they would be popping out of the woodwork faster than we could count 'em.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute