News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

60 CDV Hood Insulation Install

Started by Michael Petti, February 20, 2020, 02:31:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Petti

I am installing a fiberglass under hood insulation pad on a 60 CDV. It appears that it just needs adhesive to put it on. Is that correct? No clips or tucking in are needed that I can see. Is that correct, or am I missing something? I'm sure there is glue involved. Does anyone have a recommendation as to the adhesive that works best for this. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

David Greenburg

Specifically, 3M High Strength 90 rather than the lesser spray adhesive.  No clips or other fasteners.  If you really want to geek out on attaching, you can clamp a thin piece of wood over it while the adhesive sets and dries.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Michael Petti

Thanks for the advice on the 3M 90. I was going to use 77. The wood is an interesting idea too.

fishnjim

The other obvious option is to take the hood off, and lay bottom side up to attach.   

76eldo

Take the hood off?
That turns this into a 3 man job with the risk of chipping paint and having to realign the hood.

When you use contact adhesive the method is to spray a light coat on both surfaces and wait about 5 minutes and stick them together.

You get one shot at getting it on straight though.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Daryl Chesterman

Brian is correct in his advice.  If the hood were already off, that would be easier.  I would recommend two things:  Be absolutely sure that all of the old adhesive has been removed and that you are down to the painted surface and that any oily residue has been removed.  There is adhesive removal spray that is paint friendly.  Second is to mask off any area that you do not want to get the contact adhesive sprayed onto, since it is difficult to spray exactly up to a line and still get adequate adhesive where you need it.  Get someone to help you with positioning the pad, because as Brian said, you only get one shot at getting it right!!!  Once you stick the pad in place, there is no adjusting it--it is stuck!!!

Daryl Chesterman

Michael Petti

Helpful advice. I never thought about masking. Thanks