News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Question about paypal

Started by Bob Hoffmann CLC#96, February 20, 2020, 03:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Paypal used to have a friends & family option when sending money. Does that option still exist?
Thanks, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Thanks Eric. I suggest when people send $, they use it. People have a hard time finding it. Why??
Bob

BlackCads

Because Paypal wants you to use the Goods and Services option so they can collect a fee from the seller.

Strange. As I recall the payment options ie: F&F, payment for merchandise is pretty straightforward.

In fact I believe selection is necessary in order to complete the transfer.  Maybe it's changed...

GregoryAlan

Quote from: Bob Hoffmann CLC#96 on February 20, 2020, 03:43:51 PM
Paypal used to have a friends & family option when sending money. Does that option still exist?
Thanks, Bob

I don't think they actually call it Friends & Family anymore...
It is different on my phone and my laptop getting there....

If you read carefully, all transactions are set up as merchandise sales, they need to look for the 'send money to a friend' link.

Just BEWARE if you are sending money as a friend there is NO PAYPAL PROTECTION in case you do not get what was advertised or anything...

I got STUNG once. A person I did business with a lot took a 'friends' payment and never sent me a thing. I didn't have a leg to stand on. PayPal charges 3% to make your transaction safe. I recommend that any payment via the internet you just add that 3% into your purchase or sale and call it a day...

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: GregoryAlan on February 20, 2020, 04:42:02 PM

If you read carefully, all transactions are set up as merchandise sales, they need to look for the 'send money to a friend' link.

Just BEWARE if you are sending money as a friend there is NO PAYPAL PROTECTION in case you do not get what was advertised or anything...

I got STUNG once. A person I did business with a lot took a 'friends' payment and never sent me a thing. I didn't have a leg to stand on. PayPal charges 3% to make your transaction safe. I recommend that any payment via the internet you just add that 3% into your purchase or sale and call it a day...

^  THIS  ^
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

I just tried it.

Next step after amount is entered then NEXT button> the system prompts whether sending to a friend or merchandise. There is no way of avoiding this step. One option must be selected!

Impossible to see how it can be missed. Maybe they didn't proceed through enough steps to get to that point.

It sounds to me the problem is with people claiming difficulty sending payments to Bob using the Friends method. Not the other way around.   

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Hopefully he can figure it out with the help from here.
Bob

Highwayman68

Yep Paypal's last update defaults to Service and they made it hard to find the Friends selection but it is there.
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

As far as I can tell, the only difference is the payment method selection was moved to a later step in the process rather than earlier. Once that step is arrived at, the payment options are visible as ever and the transfer cannot be completed until one of them is selected.

fishnjim

Is it really worth the 3% to cheat?   As stated, just add to the bill, like postage.   
Credit cards charge a transaction fee it's hidden, they don't get it from the buyer as they pay, like paypal.   So they have some sort of negotiated deal to cover.   Plus tax man cometh.
I think it's great not to have your credit card spread all over creation at different vendors, especially these days everything is at risk because Govt has been brain dead on tech issues, that's worth something.   Just wish I'd of thought of it...foiled again!

GregoryAlan

Quote from: fishnjim on February 21, 2020, 09:44:26 AM
Plus tax man cometh.

Man, ain't that the truth!
No more tax free internet sales/purchases any more...
:(

cadillacmike68

Quote from: GregoryAlan on February 20, 2020, 04:42:02 PM

I got STUNG once. A person I did business with a lot took a 'friends' payment and never sent me a thing. I didn't have a leg to stand on. PayPal charges 3% to make your transaction safe.
I recommend that any payment via the internet you just add that 3% into your purchase or sale and call it a day...

Emphasis added.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Glen

Paypal exist because of the small percentage they take for the transaction.  Just like credit cards, the sell pays a percentage to the card company on each purchase.  The big difference is the buyer does not see the difference with the credit cards. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Glen on February 23, 2020, 02:14:05 AM
Paypal exist because of the small percentage they take for the transaction.  Just like credit cards, the sell pays a percentage to the card company on each purchase.  The big difference is the buyer does not see the difference with the credit cards. 

Paypal Does take a higher percentage (2.9% vs less than 1% (or less if you are a LARGE merchant), that that irks many, but it allows us non full time merchants to accept credit card payments.

Paypal's actual charge is something like 30 cents plus 2.9% of the transaction amount. Plus any currency conversion charge if applicable.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

dochawk

Banks came up with Zelle to deal with the idiocy that is pay pal.

Bank to bank, close to instant, and no fees.

I'm about as likely to let PayPal have my banking information as I am to vote for a communist or drive a datsun . . .

hawk
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

Jason Edge

Quote from: dochawk on February 23, 2020, 05:51:42 PM

I'm about as likely to let PayPal have my banking information as I am to vote for a communist or drive a datsun . . .

hawk
I have used PayPal for 15 years + and it has provided a great service to me and my customers.  For the small fee it is worth it to me to instantly receive guaranteed payments, saves time (no bank trips or worries about bounced checks, or cashing money orders), and whatever balance I have can be transferred to my bank account within one day.  For my customers that do not have PayPal I can send an invoice where they can pay with Credit or Bank Debit. It works for me so for now it is the way I do business.

I also have to add that, I probably feel more secure with PayPal with its simpler send/receive, pay a fee system, than perhaps with banking in general with some of the things I was seeing 1st hand as IT Manager at NC Dept of revenue before I retired in 2015. There was a huge increase in bank garnishments and attachments, under the guise of "Government Revenue Generation" projects (we just called them REV GEN for short), giving NC Dept of Revenue and other NC agencies, or contracted agency, the ability to access  and attach and garnish your bank accounts and direct deposited wages directly.  I remember one of the last big projects had 25+ NC banks on board with a new more aggressive program of bank attachments and garnishments. Some of it was being implemented and remember the "old widow lady suddenly having her bank account depleted" stories right before I left. The point being is if you feel banks are a safe haven for your money from legitimate or illegitimate access you are probably right for the most part... but I saw a lot more hands dipping into and getting access to our bank accounts, at least in NC, before I retired.

For more info about attachments and garnishments, at least from a NC perspective, check out this link:  https://www.ncdor.gov/frequently-asked-questions-about-garnishments#garnishment-start
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - https://6364cadillac.ning.com
Carolina Region Webmaster - https://cr-clc.ning.com
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

cadillacmike68

hawk

I'm with you going forward.

However unless it is a face to face transaction, I always prefer paying with a Credit Card because of  the federal protections.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

GregoryAlan

hawk

???
Just to be clear, I have never heard of Zelle...
Is there any protection for a deal/transaction gone bad?

One time I did a bank transfer deal. Actually I made a deposit into a bank account at a Wells Fargo in Minnesota to pay for a item I was buying from a company in Texas, I deposited cash into their Wells Fargo bank account. The teller warned me that once deposited I had no recourse if there was a problem!

You should be able to do a bank transfer at any bank. I can do a transfer from my bank without using any Zelle. Once the money leaves my bank it is gone...

For those of you who think that using your credit card to make a "FRIENDS" payment via eBay, beware that if the deal goes south/wrong you can file a dispute with your credit card, but beware you will probably NOT win that dispute. You sent money to a friend! You did not make a purchase.

Did you read the 100 pages of 'rules' when you opened your PayPal account? Violate those rules and you can lose your PayPal account.

Not every credit card dispute can be won by the buyer!!!

If you dispute a transaction with a person/company that you have done business with in the past you might lose the dispute just for the fact that they and you have a history.

You can hate on PayPal all you want!
After one or two deals gone wrong that you do not win will make that 3% a none issue.
Caveat Emptor...

BTw...If you do not take PayPal, we do not do business. I have walked from a purchase for that very reason. I would be very skeptical of someone not willing to offer a safe/protected way for me to pay. I am always open to a PayPal alternative.