News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Converting From Tilt/Telescoping to Fixed Steering Column – 1968

Started by Bentley, February 21, 2020, 11:23:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bentley

Hi Everyone,

I have '68 with a tilt/telescoping steering column. These cars have a turn signal switch with several issues: it's inherently prone to breaking, it's unique to the '68 only, and there aren't any used or NOS switches available at a reasonable price. To compound this, when the switch breaks, so goes the brake lamps because they are on the same circuit. Those with a fixed column have a different switch which is readily available at reasonable prices. I've already replaced or repaired my switch twice, and it is broken again.

One solution is to convert the steering column to a fixed column. How difficult is that and how much would it devalue the car?
Wes Bentley
CLC # 30183

Scot Minesinger

I have switched my 1970 Cadillac from fixed to tilt/tel column and I doubt it devalued the car.  It is not a difficult switch.  Going from tilt/tel to fixed may devalue on to owners who prefer this option, but may not be aware of the problems.  To those educated, might be a plus.

You have to be patient, and this is also a good time to replace the rag joint (made of rubber).  Alignment of column to gear is critical, but very easy, don't skip that step.

BTW, you would think that the brake lamps could be re-wired.  Brake lamps are an absolute must, whereas I might be Ok driving a short trip without turn signals.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

spolij

Such a shame to get rid of such a great option. The fact that the brake lights go out when their blinker switch breaks sounds weird. Whether you switch the column or not I would still separate the brake lights from the blinker circuit.
I've never had a car or heard of anybody I know having a car that the blinker switches broke unless maybe they were used very violently. I assume you bought the car used. Could someone have put the wrong switch in, maybe a different series or installed one improperly. Is the shift lever adjustable in any way?
Can you post a picture of where the break happens?

Abe Lugo

Another option could be to explain the situation to a custom wiring company and have them make ups a small harness that changes it to the later style?
Maybe by making a later TS switch work in that place and route the brake light wires differently?  Then you are main doing electrical work not changing out a whole column.

Abe Lugo  CLC#31763  Sunny Los Angeles,CA @abelugo IG

cadillacmike68

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Bentley

My mechanic was able to fix the turn signal switch. I didn't get all the details â€" something about using a cable tie to allow the contacts to touch when the switch is activated. If anyone's interested, PM me and I'll get a more detailed description of his fix. Sorry I didn't get a photo of it before he put it back together. I didn't know he would be able to fix it so quickly. Thanks for your help, everyone.
Wes Bentley
CLC # 30183

bcroe

I found the columns with or without those options will interchange
for the same model and year.  Having had many problems with
those options (which I never use), I have swapped in basic columns. 
The biggest problem has been non matching color, though the same
steering wheel may be used.  Bruce Roe

cadillacmike68

Quote from: bcroe on February 25, 2020, 09:44:07 PM
I found the columns with or without those options will interchange
for the same model and year.  Having had many problems with
those options (which I never use), I have swapped in basic columns. 
The biggest problem has been non matching color, though the same
steering wheel may be used.  Bruce Roe

Yes, you can easily switch a T&T or fixed column in the same model year, but the turn signal switch is different in the two column styles, and since 1968 was the last year of the on the dash ignition it is at best a 2 year only item (67 and 68).

Wes, I'm glad you got your switch repaired.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Steve W

Congrats! So happy for you that your mechanic figured it out! I have a 68 with the tilt/telescoping column and I LOVE it! I wouldn’t dream of swapping it out. Luckily I haven’t had the problems with mine that you have, but even if I did, I still wouldn’t swap out such a desirable option. Hopefully you won’t have any more issues with it!
Steve Waddington
1968 Coupe deVille
North Hollywood, CA
CLC Member # 32866

cadillacmike68

Once, way back when we first got the 1968 DVC, the boss lady was bring the typical back seat driver while sitting right next to me.

I asked her if she wanted to drive while surreptitiously unlatching the telescoping lock (I always keep the wheel as far away from me as possible).  I then slowly pulled the wheel away from the dashboard and she freaked out.  :P 

Of course you can only do that to someone once.

And now the cars have electric T&T, but it is so sloooooow.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Bentley

Mike, that's a great story.

Steve, drive it enough and eventually you'll have issues with yours. If you do, bring it to Gordon's Autoworks in Orange. A bit if a haul for you up in North Hollywood, but they only charged me about $250 to fix it. Better than paying Cadillac King $400 for a used switch.
Wes Bentley
CLC # 30183

spolij

As Mike said "Yes, you can easily switch a T&T or fixed column in the same model year, but the turn signal switch is different in the two column styles, " Maybe like i said before could the wrong switch have been installed?

cadillactim

The standard and T&T switches are different and a non tilt switch won't fit in a tilt column. Even the standard columns had two different switches (Boyne and Delco).

I have rebuilt dozens of these switches and many can be fixed, but many can't. The most common part to fail is the canceling cam. Usually the fingers break off and the lever won't lock in place. There are cheap replacement cams (usually white) and there are good cams (red).

The rivet holding the cam in place has to be drilled out and then tapped for a new screw to attach it to the pin. Also the cornering lamp spring button on the cam has to have the wire ground off and resoldered on the replacement cam (some put a machine screw in place instead but that is not a quality repair).

But just replacing the cam is no guarantee as other issues can be present. And when any of these is there the switch is usually not repairable.

1. The plastic base has warped over time and the "legs" on the cam won't touch the contacts.

2. There has been arcing and the contact sinks into the melted plastic preventing the legs on the cam reaching the contact.

3. The bosses that lock the cam in place are worn too much and the lever will not lock.

4. The wires going to the contacts become loose over time since they were just staked in place.

There are other issues also, but they can usually be repaired.

I quit repairing these switches because of the time spent working on one only to find it had an unrepairable issue. Since I am in the business to make money, repairing these switches is overall not profitable. It is a crapshoot when you try to fix one. Just keep that in mind when you decide to take on this project.

Tim
Tim Groves