News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1941 Cadillac Trunk Handle Removal Trouble

Started by ghjedi, February 21, 2020, 07:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghjedi

Hello,

I have a 1941 Series 63 and I'm trying to remove my trunk handle, so that I can have the lock cylinder repaired and reinstalled (the lock cylinder was out of the trunk handle when I purchased the car and I do not have the key for it).  I am having a difficult time removing the trunk handle, as I thought removing the bolt on the back side would do the trick, but the handle does not want to pull out, even after twisting it around.  I am attaching some photos for reference and I would appreciate any help/tips on how to remove it.  I have heard (but am not certain) that the handle cannot be removed without a functioning lock cylinder inserted to retract a metal pin.  Since I don't have the key for my lock cylinder, I can't verify. 

Ultimately, what I'm trying to do is have a functioning trunk handle with a working lock.  Again, any help is much appreciated!
1964 DeVille Convertible
1960 Coupe DeVille
1949 Series 62 Convertible
1941 Series 63

Abe Lugo

See attached images.  The little tab you see on the pin is what is hanging up.  So it may be a good thing it is there. What you need to do is manually push it with a long screw driver. It’s a part that pushes in and out.    I imagine the handles are all the same on ‘41s unless someone chimes in.
Please take pics of the disassembled handle when you get this going.

See the number on this lock cylinder.  You need to find the one on your lock have a KEY made.
Abe Lugo  CLC#31763  Sunny Los Angeles,CA @abelugo IG

35-709

"You need to find the one on your lock have a Leo made."

:)  Whattsa Leo?  Assume it is a key but have never heard of it being called a Leo, or did spell-check take over?
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

ghjedi

Thank you Abe- I will try pushing it out and update the outcome here. 
1964 DeVille Convertible
1960 Coupe DeVille
1941 Series 63

Abe Lugo

I’ve got fat fingers and a little screen. And sometime the word suggestion takes over

I hate it.  Anyhow yes find the number in the barrel and have a key made.  But as far as removing it you have to shove that little finger down.

Funny thing is my trunk handle has that part broken somehow. But you can see the lock swivel in there with nothing to push up and down. 
I hate to have to buy a whole new setup just for this tiny piece.  But that’s life right.

ghjedi

Ok I tapped out the metal piece and the handle still will not pull out!  There appears to be a washer holding it to the bracket.  This is very puzzling on how to remove it and I have added some photos to show the bracket now. Any additional advice?
1964 DeVille Convertible
1960 Coupe DeVille
1941 Series 63

Bob Schuman

Now that you have removed the little rectangular piece with the notch, there should be nothing else holding the handle in place, as I remember. Reinstall the nut a couple of turns to protect the threads, then tap that end with a hammer, which should start the handle coming out. It's been tears since I dealt with a trunk handle,

Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

ghjedi

Success!!!  Some aggressive tapping with a hammer got it out.  I added some photos for future reference.

Thank you all for the advice!  I could not have done this without this group.

Last question: any suggestions on who can rebuild these lock/handle combos?
1964 DeVille Convertible
1960 Coupe DeVille
1941 Series 63

Abe Lugo

If you take it to a locksmith you need to get a key/ Leo  made.  The only issue is if you know that that key/tumbler set matches the number on the handle. I would imagine you just insert the old latch tooth back in. Then insert the lock tumbler with the key in place.  The turning of the key should move that small part up and down.

I would imaging it is similar to an ignition key when you have to put in a paper clip and turn it past the normal direction to pull out the mechanism
  I have to check mine. 
I will see if there is trick to removing the lock tumbler.  Maybe someone else has posted how to do it here.  Sometimes there is. C-clip that may hold it in from the back by where the whole handle meets the trunk handle/light housing.
I think on mine that little extra end of the lock tumbler has broken off.   

35-709

"Last question: any suggestions on who can rebuild these lock/handle combos?"

Suggest contacting Jesser's Classic Keys ---
http://www.jessersclassickeys.com/
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Bob Schuman

If you should decide to look for another handle, be aware the 41 handles all look similar but are not identical. Your 63 series uses the same handle as 41 & 42 Series 61, 63, and 67 cars, plus 1946 and 47 Series 61. Others have a different part number, probably won't fit.
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

ghjedi

Thank you again for all the help!

Much appreciated.
1964 DeVille Convertible
1960 Coupe DeVille
1941 Series 63

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Jeff,
Look at one of your last pics showing the shank. See the little pin going thru the shank?? That pin needs to be carefully removed & the lock cylinder comes right out. Make sure you soak that pin in rust buster before you attempt to drive it out. Use a very small punch. It you feel you need a better handle, measure the shank & send me an email at bobscads@comcast.net
Good Luck, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

spolij

Bob  A little hard to see in the pic. Is this it?

Oliver Betker

Hello,
I have the Topic at my car that the lock cylinder in the trunk handle is rotten and only in Little pieces on place.
So I don't have the possibility to lock the trunk.
I have an Series 61 Coupe from 1946 and like Bob said, my trunk handle looks like the same as in all your pictures.
Do anybody have a a fitting cylinder for sale, hopefully with a key?
Or do you recommend also to ask the called company above?
The problem will be to disassemble the rest of the old lock cylinder without damage everything.
I would also appreciate every comment.
Oliver
1946 Cadillac Series 61 Coupe
1958 Chevrolet Bel Air 4door Sedan
1958 Wartburg 311 4door Sedan 900
1961 Wartburg 311 4door Sedan 1000
1963 Trabant 500 2door Sedan
1989 Trabant 601 2door Sedan
1966 Bulldozer T 100 MGP
1968 Bulldozer T 100 MGP
1998 Nissan Pickup Navara
2015 Ford Ranger Pickup
1978 MZ T 250/1
1992 Harley Davidson Fat boy

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

I don't think the red circle is it. It's a VERY small pin that intersects the handle. Sometimes you can feel it with your finger.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

ghjedi

I did see that little pin circled in red, but I am reluctant to remove it.  I know fully well that trying to repair this lock mechanism myself is beyond my capabilities, so I will be shipping these parts off to an expert to rebuild it correctly  ;)
1964 DeVille Convertible
1960 Coupe DeVille
1941 Series 63