News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

circa 1970 Cadillacs (probably applies to 41 thru 85 RWD)

Started by Scot Minesinger, February 23, 2020, 02:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scot Minesinger

If you want to buy a closed car, why are the coupes more popular than the sedans?  Thinking CDV vs. SDV.  Obviously Fleetwoods are different issue.  I'm glad coupes are more than sedans, because of non-conforming nature preferring a sedan it was acquired at a lower cost.  32k original paint, interior, and etc. (even radiator hoses) 1970 SDV for only $5,500, but it needed some work to make it mechanically good.  The reasons my preference for a sedan:

1.  Many of the Cadillac styling years, especially 1965-70 the sedan roof line is more appealing to me, especially B pillar roof line.
2.  More than one passenger, no problem entering and exiting the car
3.  Doors easier to deal with, plus less sag over the years.
4.  Lower cost than coupes.

This is not applicable to models only offered as a two door such as Eldorado (Riviera, Toranado, Thunderbird (not 67-71) and etc. by other makes).
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

bcroe

I don't get it either, the new sedan I bought was just a bit more expensive
than the 2 door.  The sedan isn stiffer and less likely to have air leakage
problems.  The only 2 door here is the FWD Eldo, that 80 Seville is just
unbearable. 

I just laugh at the totally ridiculous prices bid up on some cars, they are
always 2 doors and the value is only in the minds of the bidders.  To get
the real value check the 4 door version, which is seen as just some old car. 

Bruce Roe

chrisntam

When we were in our 20s, we only wanted 2 door cars. A 4 door was an absolute no-go. Not cool.  It was an old mans car.

Now that we've become old men, we like the 4 doors.

I'd love to have a '70 FWB, but have no room for it.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Scot Minesinger

In 1976 when I earned my driver license in October, I was in 10th grade.  The first in my class to have it, and being a planner I had saved up and purchased a 1965 Thunderbird that was my car, not my parents.  I was probably one of three in my high school class who did not drive their parents LeSabre.  Anyway, being first with a car and a license, there were always a lot of passengers.  I was constantly moving forward in my seat to allow entrance and exit of my passengers traveling in the rear seat.  At 16, I was like a 4 door seems so much better.  So after graduating college, only owned 4 doors until buying my 1970 Cadillac DVC in 2005.  That has been the only 2 door ever that I bought since.

I understand the primarily uncool people drove 4 doors back in the 1970's.  Is that the only reason?
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

The Tassie Devil(le)

Chris got it in one.

4 door sedans were old peoples' cars, Station Wagons were family cars, and 2 door cars were sporty, and everyone who wanted to buy their first car, young people that is, wanted the sporty car.

I am still young, and still want a sporty car, which is why I buy a 2 door car, Coupe or Convertible.

Now, Station Wagons are cool, simply because there aren't many left, and rare is cool.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Cadman-iac

One of my most favorite cars was a 56 Chevrolet station wagon.  I could haul a lot of kids in it, or put the back seat down and haul anything that I could cram through the tailgate. I used to camp in it when I traveled while I was still in the Army.
  You're right about the "coolness factor" of a 2 door,  but there's something to be said about not having to get out or bend over the steering column to let people in or out of the back seat when you have a 4 door.
I've had both, and when my son was still at home,  the 4 door was the best option for us. But you can still be cool in a 4 door if it's a hardtop. With the windows down, and you're flying down the road, they gotta look closely and count the handles, LOL!
  In my old age,  it's a lot easier to get in and out of a 2 door with those big doors.  And if the brakes fail,  they can be used as air brakes, you just gotta get it open first!
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Cadman-iac

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on February 23, 2020, 06:26:37 PM

Now, Station Wagons are cool, simply because there aren't many left, and rare is cool.

Bruce. >:D

The coolest ones I think are the 4 door hardtop wagons like Buick built back in the 50's. But I think Chrysler got in on the act with a few models too.
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

dochawk

People not wanting to climb to get to your your back seat can be an advantage . . .

I was kind of surprised to find myself with two adult males in the back of my ETC a few years ago at the driving tour for the grand national . . . my teenage daughters complained about just riding to church . . .
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

David Greenburg

I’ve always had a preference for 4 doors, especially when talking luxury cars. In many cases, a 4 door, especially a hardtop, just seems to do better justice to a big car’s lines.  And while 2-doors may be more collectible, they are also much more common now at shows and events.  To me a ‘59 flattop is far more interesting and unusual than a’59 coupe.  And on a practical level, 4 doors are much easier if you have passengers over the age of 20 or so.  My Seville is a rare exception to my preference for sedans, but I would not ask any of my adult friends to squeeze into that back seat.  And the right 4 door can be very cool.  My high school ride was a pretty tired ‘60 Impala flattop, but other than the kids with vans, it was about the most popular ride around; a rolling party for 7 if someone had their girl on their lap.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

That’s what I need. A four door version of this.
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

35-709

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

dochawk

Two door Cadillacs are for driving; four doors are for being driven in . . .

Come to think of it, that was also the traditional difference between a Bently and a Rolls, which were otherwise identical save for the hood . .

hawk
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

cadillacmike68

Quote from: chrisntam on February 23, 2020, 05:29:35 PM
When we were in our 20s, we only wanted 2 door cars. A 4 door was an absolute no-go. Not cool.  It was an old mans car.

Now that we've become old men, we like the 4 doors.

I'd love to have a '70 FWB, but have no room for it. 

This is about the gist of it. They were more "cool". How else can you explain the so called muscle car mania when most of those crapified jalopys have LESS HP that our 1965-70 Cadillacs - unless one opted for the  maxed out largest displacement - in a car that had barely there brakes and NO creature comforts???

My two most liked body styles back then were and still are Convertibles and Fleetwood Broughams.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Whatever a typical young man would have bought new if money was no object, odds are that it will become a  future collectible.

As a general rule, the more utilitarian the body style, the less collectible. Factors related to styling, speed and sportiness are what excite the collector car juices.

Rightly or wrongly it has always been this way and probably always will.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

fishnjim

I think one has to look at the production and survivor numbers and market to determine current price.   More 4 drs = less price.   It's harder to rationalize individual styling "appeal" over time.   Life things change.
A post war 4 dr was/is a "family" car, so they commanded less $ new.   Usually, but not always they were the bottom models in the "driver" category. cf; "driven"; fleetwood, limo, etc.   "Wagoons" were more the "big" family sedan.   aka vacationmobiles and tow vehicles.
I begged the old man, to buy that new red '63 vette coupe.  I pledged to ride in the back as I was the youngest, but he opted for the $300 less*, more "roomy", SS convertible.   Talk about regrets...and change in the value of the dollar.   
The trend changes today with the decline of sedans and the abandonment in production, because of rise of SUVs and P/Us.   So that "Cadillac Kid" 4 dr is aligned with the current more multi-use utility trend.   
* - less than they're asking for that NOS '58 fuel pump!!!

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: fishnjim on February 24, 2020, 09:23:56 AM
I think one has to look at the production and survivor numbers and market to determine current price.   

That certainly factors into it and survivorship is typically against sportier body styles (and wagons) -albeit for different reasons.

But even if that is taken out of the equation and assumed identical number of survivors exist today for each, the sportier car would still command more.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

D.Smith

For collectability 2 door hardtops always followed the convertibles, then 4 door hardtops.  For their style.    Pillared coupes, sedans and wagons were considered stodgy and utilitarian.

So when many people look for a collector car they go for the car they wanted when younger, the flashy convertible or coupe.  Not the sedan or wagon they settled for. 

But there will always be those that go for nostalgia and want a wagon like the one the family had when they were a kid.   Or a sedan that triggers a good memory.   

Things in the rear view mirror are bigger than they seem
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

cadman56

When I was young I too liked the two door models but preferred the big and heavy two door cars.  After tearing up too many transmissions and differentials drag racing and squealing out I decide I had had enough.
I finally sold my very last car last month, a 91 Brougham dElegance.  I lov ed that car and put more money into it maintaining it's like new appearance and mechanicals.  Four door cars were a ok for me.
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820