News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Factory Supplied Group Size Battery - 1958 Cadillac

Started by Jon S, February 23, 2020, 06:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon S

I’ve been using a group size 27 in my 1958 Cadillac but was just curious if anybody knows what group size was provided in the car from the factory?
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

savemy67

Hello Jon,

My old '54 - '63 Chilton lists the '58 Cadillac as coming with a 3KM group size battery.  This size has probably been replaced with the size 27 as you indicated. 

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

Jon S

Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

fishnjim

Most likely, anything that fits the factory battery box that's made today will be "bigger" in CCA than what they came with.   So no comparison, per se, except physical size.   Battery groups came later.
The old "tar tops" are still made but the "fake" ones with the new insides are better.   Frankly, that's a purist thing that I don't worry about.   I think anything over about 780 CCA would suffice.   A lot depends on how tight the motor is and shape of the electrical system/starter.
It should be in the documentation.   Go to GH heritage archives and download the "specifications".   I'm too lazy today to look.   

fishnjim

FYI: I found this in my papers from the spec manual.
It shows the factory battery.
I'm running a 27 Duracell.