News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Looking for a Red plastic Washer/Grommet for 1956 horns

Started by johnregrus, February 27, 2020, 04:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnregrus

Help!
At our last Grand Nationals in Louisville my 56 Cadillac was deducted judging points because I was missing two small plastic red coloured washers that are supposed to be installed in the hole where the electrical wire enters the horn under the hood.

I'm told these washers are only on horns 1956 and some years prior and they are only on the two smaller horns and not on the third trumpet horn that Eldorado's have.

I've searched the internet and can not find a supplier.

I thought other GM cars of the same vintage would have them and that Corvette vendors for sure would have them but no luck. Any suggestions?

Attached are photo's of what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
John
1958 Series 62
1956 Eldorado Biarritz

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Just an FYI, I'm certain (with the new judging
standards) that the small deduction you received
had no effect on the overall placement of your
car. 

I don't know of any source for that red washer.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Cadman-iac

I went through all of my horns when I was rebuilding/restoring things before I got started on the body,  and on  every one of them that washer was practically disintegrated. And I have 8 or 9 of these too. Almost all of them were outside in the sun and weather though. I didn't think something like that would be so critical in a judged show. I'm not sure now what I did with the old ones, or I'd give them to you. I need to look at my horns now to see what I used as replacements for those. I can't recall now, but I know they weren't red whatever they were. I was looking at using something like what's in this picture. They're just a cap for a tube or pipe, but they're red, and they have the washer edge on them.

Maybe this will work.
Rick

PS: Now I remember what I used.  I had cut out a round piece of rubber, like a washer, to seal it so water and dirt didn't get inside anymore, because mine were rusted. That plastic washer doesn't seal it, maybe when it was new, but not when I got it. Guess I need to paint them red now.
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

J. Gomez

Red cap hmmm  :o all the ones that I’ve seen have a black rubber disc insulator inside with a slot that slides down the male connector. If red is the correct color  ??? you can get a sheet of red rubber from Lowes and just cut a disc.
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Lexi

My thoughts exactly Jose. Though I have never owned a 1956 Eldo, my 4 other 56s had black rubber grommets as far as I can remember. Perhaps the Eldos were different??? Clay/Lexi

Edit: Does not appear to be noted in the CLC Authenticity Manual either, (i.e. the colour of the grommets).

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

For what it's worth, my '55 Eldorado never had those.
Just a black rubber. 

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
2011 Buick Lucerne CX

Cadman-iac

I'll have to dig through my boxes of horns and see if I saved any of those things. It's been almost two years since I rebuilt all of mine and I honestly can't remember if every one of them had that red piece on it, but I do remember that there were at least 4 of them that had it. Because I distinctly remember trying to find a replacement for it. As I recall,  it's not very thick either. Just a ring with a groove cut into it on the top on the outer diameter. I didn't get exactly how that was supposed to seal the horn against water intrusion either. It wasn't soft enough to conform to any irregularities in the parts.
CLC# 32373

cadman56

All the horns off my 56s had black pieces here.
Question:  I wonder if the 'washers' from a generator would be the correct size and color?
Larry
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820

johnregrus

I want to thank everyone who contributed to this subject post about my search for red washers. I've also had a number of responses via private emails.

The consensus is that horns used on a 56 Cadillac never had red washers/grommets.

I contacted the fellow who owns The Horn Works in Beloit WI. He has restored collector vehicle horns for years including NCRS corvette national winners.

He stated that Red washers were only on horns with Screw Type Connectors. 1956 Cadillac horns have Spade speed connectors and should have a black tar paper round washer.    He makes his black washers out of a sheet of thick construction tar paper.

Now the question is how do I convince the judges at the next Nationals?
1958 Series 62
1956 Eldorado Biarritz

Cadman-iac

Show them the correspondence between you and the horn restoration place. If that doesn't convince them,  nothing probably will.

I guess that also means that I must have a few Chevy horns in with my Cadillac ones. Not sure now if I could tell them apart,  as I put a thin rubber washer on all of them.  That plastic piece just didn't make sense to me anyhow.

Rick
CLC# 32373