News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Resistor vs Non Resistor Distributor Cap

Started by 2manycars, February 27, 2020, 04:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2manycars

I'm doing a bit of work on my 64 Caddy. I want to install a repro Delco Remy distributor cap thats available through the Chevy suppliers. They come in both resistor and non resistor types. Anyone know the difference and which is best to use on this car?
1964 Coupe de Ville
My Current Projects:
1957 Ford Thunderbird
1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS Convertible
My Special One:
2001 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (bought it new)

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

As far as I know, for your year car there is no resistor
in the distributor cap.  That's a feature that some
newer vehicles had, but not in 1960.  If I'm wrong I'm
sure that somebody will quickly correct me!

The resistors are in the plug wires.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

bcroe

Quote from: Mike Josephic  CLC #3877

The resistors are in the plug wires.   Mike.

Yes.  The resistor wires or plugs were used to reduce radio interference.
Bruce Roe

Cadman-iac

That's correct,  the resistance is provided by the spark plugs and wires, not the distributor cap.
AC plug numbers use the letter "R" to designate a resistance plug, like a R43TS, or whatever number your vehicle needs. I just recall the number for my truck as I just changed them.
As for the wires, the old steel core wires had no resistance in them other than what would naturally occur in the steel itself, and you would get a lot of noise in your radio from them.
The newer silicon wires with the carbon core do have some resistance to them to help keep ignition noise from your radio.
As for the cap, the one offered today is basically identical to what yours had when new. There's just one thing to look for in the cap and that's the material the terminals are made of. You can get it with aluminum or brass. I would opt for the brass one as it's a better conductor.

I hope this is what you wanted to know .

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

spolij

Rick      I'd guess it wouldn't hurt engine performance weather you have resistors or not.

2manycars

Quote from: Cadman-iac on February 28, 2020, 12:30:12 AM
That's correct,  the resistance is provided by the spark plugs and wires, not the distributor cap.
AC plug numbers use the letter "R" to designate a resistance plug, like a R43TS, or whatever number your vehicle needs. I just recall the number for my truck as I just changed them.
As for the wires, the old steel core wires had no resistance in them other than what would naturally occur in the steel itself, and you would get a lot of noise in your radio from them.
The newer silicon wires with the carbon core do have some resistance to them to help keep ignition noise from your radio.
As for the cap, the one offered today is basically identical to what yours had when new. There's just one thing to look for in the cap and that's the material the terminals are made of. You can get it with aluminum or brass. I would opt for the brass one as it's a better conductor.

Rick

Thank you all. I suspected the non resistor type would be the right one. I recently had all of my HVAC system components rehabbed. Meantime, the engine and trans leak oil like mad, so I am pulling them, replacing the timing chain set, and resealing both engine and trans. Then I will repaint them and reinstall. I am freshening up everything under the hood that I can right now, so I'm putting all back as close to original as new appearance as I can in a short time. That's why the original style cap, dated wires, numbered hoses and belts, etc. It was really beginning to deteriorate under hood, even though the car runs and drives very well - aside from the rather large leaks.
1964 Coupe de Ville
My Current Projects:
1957 Ford Thunderbird
My Special One:

Jon S

Quote from: Cadman-iac on February 28, 2020, 12:30:12 AM

Rick

No true. Packard wires had TVRS indicating carbon coating and resistor capability.  TVRS stands for TV and Radio Supression.

Update:  just took a picture of my wires:
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Cadman-iac

Quote from: Jon S on February 29, 2020, 10:53:09 AM
No true. Packard wires had TVRS indicating carbon coating and resistor capability.  TVRS stands for TV and Radio Supression.

Update:  just took a picture of my wires:

Thank you for the correction Jon, I didn't know that.  What year did those become available,  do you know? Just curious now. I'm gonna start looking at all my old wires now.

Rick
CLC# 32373

David Greenburg

If from a Chevy supplier, the resistor cap may be for a Corvette.  Not my area of expertise or interest, but I do know some 60’s Corvettes had a bunch of shielding and suppression for the ignition.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Cadman-iac

Quote from: David Greenburg on February 29, 2020, 11:03:41 PM
If from a Chevy supplier, the resistor cap may be for a Corvette.  Not my area of expertise or interest, but I do know some 60’s Corvettes had a bunch of shielding and suppression for the ignition.

As I recall,  the shielding was just a metal shroud, (in pieces), that covered the distributor and wires in an effort to limit the effects on the radio from ignition noise.
CLC# 32373

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Quote from: Cadman-iac on March 01, 2020, 01:30:43 AM
As I recall,  the shielding was just a metal shroud, (in pieces), that covered the distributor and wires in an effort to limit the effects on the radio from ignition noise.

That's correct -- with a fiberglass body, there was no other
way to isolate the ignition system from producing radio static. 
At the NCRS shows, I would see the judges actually use tools
to remove this shielding to check for "correct" distributor
components.  Crazy, but true.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Caddieman53

My 53 calls for a resistor type rotor under the cap. You can see a small resistor soldered in on top of it.
P. W. Allen

53 Cadillac Coupe 6237X
Twin Turbine

Cadman-iac

Quote from: Caddieman53 on March 01, 2020, 07:43:58 AM
My 53 calls for a resistor type rotor under the cap. You can see a small resistor soldered in on top of it.

I hadn't heard of that before. It would be interesting to see if you ever get a chance to take a picture of it.
I enjoy looking at how people engineered things when faced with a problem, because different people approach things in different ways.
That's one way I would never have thought of to control ignition noise.
I would think the heat added to the rotation would melt the solder and fling the resistor right off the rotor.
CLC# 32373

bcroe

I have seen rotors with a resistor.  The resistance and some shielding
helps enough that now you hear all the other cars that have no spark
noise suppression.  To completely contain the noise on my 62 (for HAM
radio application) I bought an aircraft style shielding system that was
near waterproof.  It did also avoid that missing sometimes after a big
puddle.  But it could not deal with the voltages of my HEI.  Bruce  Roe

Jon S

Quote from: Caddieman53 on March 01, 2020, 07:43:58 AM

That is correct and not modified.
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Cadman-iac

Quote from: Jon S on March 01, 2020, 02:19:12 PM
That is correct and not modified.
I believe that. What I meant was it's interesting to see how "people", ie: the engineers solved issues like this. It's always a learning experience for me and I really enjoy looking at all the different ways to fix the same problem. People can be so ingenious, and I try to think about the process and how they arrived at the solution. It makes you wonder about all the things they might have tried that didn't work.
I like to take things apart just to see how it works, and I really enjoy making something work again. Especially something electrical, like the radios from my '56 with the Wonderbar feature.

Rick
CLC# 32373

Jon S

Quote from: Cadman-iac on March 01, 2020, 02:43:13 PM
  I believe that. What I meant was it's interesting to see how "people", ie: the engineers solved issues like this. It's always a learning experience for me and I really enjoy looking at all the different ways to fix the same problem. People can be so ingenious, and I try to think about the process and how they arrived at the solution. It makes you wonder about all the things they might have tried that didn't work.
I like to take things apart just to see how it works, and I really enjoy making something work again. Especially something electrical, like the radios from my '56 with the Wonderbar feature.

Rick

Me too and making things not available like this topper:
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Cadman-iac

Quote from: Jon S on March 01, 2020, 03:37:48 PM
Me too and making things not available like this topper:

Jon, I'm curious about those pictures you posted.  Is that cover for hiding your non-original battery,  or have I missed your meaning?
CLC# 32373

Jon S

Exactly. It’s a home made battery topper to replicate the original GM battery
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

2manycars

I ended up purchasing the reproduction Delco-Remy "Patent Pending" cap and an upgaded rotor from Rick's Camaros, it being the correct cap for my 67 Camaro. If I like this cap I'll get another one later on for the Camaro.

I also got the dated wire set from McVey plus a carb kit, and numbered hoses and some other stuff from Caddy Daddy. Timing set (Cloyes) from Rockauto. I really need to get that engine out ASAP and seal that puppy back up. It should look nice once I get everything spruced up again.
1964 Coupe de Ville
My Current Projects:
1957 Ford Thunderbird
My Special One: