News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Pertronix ignition -- What Pertronix Coil 1947 Cadillac

Started by bill_boos, February 28, 2020, 03:39:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill_boos

i plan to install a Pertronix 1183N6 Ignitor (6v, negative ground) on my 1947 Cadillac and am trying to determine what Pertronix coil to use. The choices seem to be 45011 or 40011. Have received multiple different answers from Pertronix support. Anyone with experience on this?
2013 SL 550
2006 Bentley GT Continental
2003 CL 600
1947 Lincoln Continental Cabriolet
1949 Cadillac Sedan (sold years ago)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1947 Cadillac Sedanette (Just Bought Oct 2019)

GregoryAlan

Quote from: bill_boos on February 28, 2020, 03:39:57 PM
i plan to install a Pertronix 1183N6 Ignitor (6v, negative ground) on my 1947 Cadillac and am trying to determine what Pertronix coil to use. The choices seem to be 45011 or 40011. Have received multiple different answers from Pertronix support. Anyone with experience on this?

Bill...
If you go to the Pertronix web site you will find a tech support phone number, call them...
I converted a non-cad dizzy and the tech support guys bent over backward for me to be sure I ordered the correct parts. They wanted the 'numbers' off my dizzy and got me the correct kit and coil for my app...

TonyZappone #2624

Me too.  Give them your distributor number, they will tell you.  Pertonix units installed and working beautifully on '47 convert, '58 convert, '36 Pierce (dual point dist) for 8 years now
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

fishnjim

I was under the impression the original coils will work w/ the ignition modules, they just make their own coils which have higher output than OEM.   That's to improve spark energy over factory for better combustion.   
I agree, call them, they'll work with you.    Have all your info handy.   Even the head guy helped me when I had tech questions.   

TJ Hopland

I was thinking it depended on which version, original, II, III of the system you get.   Original can work with original but the later models they recommend a better coil to handle the different timing and dwell as well as the multi sparks.

My tip is assuming your engine is running now take before timing readings at various RPM's and vac settings.  To do the vac you need a handheld vac pump gauge tool which are not expensive these days.    Write down and or take photos of all the readings and ideally use the same tools after the swap.   

You wanna know where you were starting from.   Something could be wacky now where the timing shows up at 20 after but it runs great.   You do the conversion and set it to 6 after and it runs like crap you can try going back to 20.   It may not really be 20 but for what ever reason that is where the mark shows up and its happy.  If you didn't do before readings you would never know that.    You may also find out that it was at 20 and that is why it runs bad now and if you set it correctly you will solve your problems and not need the conversion.   

Its also a good time to find out if your advance weights are stuck and if your vacuum is working.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

bill_boos

Has anyone installed the Pertronix coil recently on a 46, 47, 48.The instructions refer to removing or bypassing resistor or ballast block. I don't know if my '47 has a ballast resistor. I'm looking for a simple step process for wiring the new coil. My mechanic connected a wire directly from the battery and another from the ignition to the coil and installed the Ignitor. The car started and after driving a half mile it died and would not start. I had to have it towed back and he said he adjusted the gap on the magneto and it now runs fine.
The original coil has a cloth covered "harness/wire" about 1/4 " in diameter  running from  the bottom through the firewall. It is embedded in the coil and not detachable. I had him leave the coil in place because I did not want to cut the harness/wire.
Is this the original type coil with a non detachable wire out the bottom or maybe some aftermarket coil installed years ago.
Can I safely cut the wire so I can remove the old coil?
Is it wired wrong and should I take it somewhere else?

Sorry if post not clear --- tried to describe as clearly as I could
2013 SL 550
2003 CL 600

TMoore - NTCLC

Please, do not cut that wire.

If you have the original coil on your car, you will find that on the bottom of the coil is a tight-fitting "cap" with a wire that leaves the coil and goes directly into the firewall to your ignition switch.  This wire was originally in a steel cable, that ran from coil to ignition (theft deterrent).  As long as the wire is in good shape (i.e. not frayed) you should be fine.

If you decide to change the coil, then you will need to remove the "cap" from the bottom of the coil, and then you will find that the wire has a simple nut that attaches it to the coil.  Finding the original style coil with the bottom connection is getting to be difficult, but there are more modern coils that will work, but will not be original.

Attached is a Service Bulletin posted by Bill Ingler  with more inforamtion in this thread:

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=144600.0

bill_boos

TMOORE, your reply is just what is was seeking. Good to know original coils were wired that way. I thought I had some strange aftermarket installation. I didn't but now I guess I do with the Pertronix.   My wire from the ignition to the coil IS armored cable (not cloth) and probably original. Even the coil may be original as it is rusty around the cap seam. It is already bypassed to the new Pertronix coil. It starts and runs fine now.
My mechanic told me cleaned everything up inside the distributor, adjusted the Pertronix magnet ring and tightened it,which his young mechanic failed to do.
I think I'll just leave the old coil in place in case a future owner wants to replace it with NOS. I'm not a purist for authenticity except on the exterior. Is there any impact in leaving it connected to the ignition with no power output to the distributor?
Thanks again for your reply. The service bulletin graphic really helped to explain everything.
2013 SL 550
2003 CL 600