News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Divorced choke

Started by spolij, February 29, 2020, 02:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spolij

cadillacmike68

It's when you buy one too many Cadillacs and your wife chokes you while demanding a divorce.  :P

It's got something to do with the linkage and whether or not it is attached to the intake manifold.

It's actually when the choke spring is not directly connected to the carb, but it in a well in the intake and connected by a linkage - I think.

Our 67- mid 70s Q-Jets have this.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

TJ Hopland

Yes its where the choke coil is mounted on the intake rather than in a round housing on the carb.    For Cadillac Quadrajet started in 67 and was divorced through 74.   There were at least 2 different divorced designs too, one fit in a round well and the other was more of a rectangle.     75 they went to an electric choke which was done using the same round housing as the integral choke it just had an electric heater in the cover rather than the fitting for the heated air inlet. 

The divorced ones I think worked a little better because their wells were in the exhaust stream in the intake rather than having a 'stove' or coil of tubing in the stream and then a length of tubing leading to the coil in the carb.    Downsides to the divorced design are that the well can fill with crud and every time you remove the carb you need to check and adjust the linkage because the thickness of the gaskets effects its adjustment. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Picture of a "divorced" choke along side the carb it belongs to.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

spolij

cadillacmike68

Quote from: spolij on February 29, 2020, 05:44:08 PM
Mike   lol

Thanks all

Ask me how many Cadillacs I have. I dare you.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

spolij

No No No been there done that!!!!! lol