News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1969 Rim Blow Steering Wheel

Started by wrench, March 02, 2020, 11:21:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrench

Ok, I just checked on my ‘69 Eldorado in winter storage and the steering wheel inlay has actually popped out of the wheel in a few sections and the existing condition where the flexible rubber along the inner circumference was distorted significantly has rendered the wheel to be in ‘rebuildable core condition’ so a repair would be necessary.

I do not want to repair or replace the wheel with another rim blow if I can avoid it.

The rim blow feature was disabled somewhere along the line by the previous owner who installed a jalopy horn button on the lower trim panel next to the column. I can rewire as necessary once I figure out the path forward with a replacement wheel.

So, will a steering wheel from a 1970 Eldorado retrofit to a 1969 Eldorado?

What other years work on a simple swap to a ‘69 Eldorado?

It is a regular column, no TnT.

I do have source for a replacement inlay, is there a source for the flexible rubber material around the inner circumference of a Cadillac rim blow? The wheel itself is in very good condition. I can get a rim blow switch out of a mustang and I can get an inlay piece, but I would have to correct the distorted rubber/vinyl whatever section in order to re-use the wheel.

I would probably just try to find a -70 wheel and retrofit it to the car.
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

cadillacmike68

1969 ElDorado should be compatible with 1970. Not with 1968 though.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

wrench

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on March 02, 2020, 02:23:14 PM
1969 ElDorado should be compatible with 1970. Not with 1968 though.

Ok thanks, I looked at an old post here and someone retrofitted a later 70’s wheel which seemed to have padding but he used the newer horn pad which was not cosmetically appealing.

I wonder if a later padded wheel can use the 69 cover pad. I think he said ‘79 or maybe ‘76 was the wheel he used.

As I walk down this path, I am definitely going to shy away from restoring the rim blow feature, I’m no crazy about the idea of the horn going off whenever it feels like it because the temperature changes a few degrees...

Now of course, the obstacle could be trying to find a ‘70 wheel that doesn’t need restoration...

Does anyone know if the ‘70 Eldorado steering wheel is unique to the Eldorado or can other model’s wheels be interchanged?

Also, for the purposes of the wheel only, does Tilt and Telescope matter?
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

Cadillac Fleetwood

Quote from: wrench on March 02, 2020, 05:24:15 PM

Does anyone know if the ‘70 Eldorado steering wheel is unique to the Eldorado or can other model’s wheels be interchanged?

Also, for the purposes of the wheel only, does Tilt and Telescope matter?

The 1970 steering wheel is unique to the 1970 model year, and is shared among all models, including Eldorado. The 1969 steering wheel is unique to the 1969 model year, and is shared among all models, including Eldorado.

The same wheel is used in tilt and non-tilt applications. Only the plastic shroud (the part on the back side of the spokes) differs between tilt and non-tilt.

The 1969 and 1970 horn pads (and shrouds) do not interchange, owing to shape of the plastic at each of the three spokes on the wheel.

A 1972, 1973, or 1976 black steering wheel will fit (they have rosewood grain)  but you will likely have to use the 1972 or 1973 horn pad and shroud.  The CLC judges, and Eric, will call you out on this (LOL), but the tradeoff is not having to look at or steer with a wheel that is in tatters.

Charles Fares
[/quote]

Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

wrench

Thanks again, Charles. Your insights are always valuable.

I did find a guy who fabricates a replacement inlay. I have ordered one for the 1970 Eldorado and will report on form, fit and function. Cost is reasonable.

I had a lengthy phone conversation with the guy and he owns a ‘70 Eldorado as well and had the wherewithal to make up replacement inlay to include the Tomo wood graphic.

He and I discussed the 1969 rim blow and I thought I would try to see if the insert would work on the ‘69. This issue is that over the past month of winter temps, the inlay actually popped out of the wheel in a couple of places and I could probably use another inlay piece from him, the lower left 1/3 of the rubber is deformed sufficiently that I would need to repair or replace it in order for it to look right.

I remember you told me that in ‘69 the inlay was pecan and I can see the difference. I think the Tomo grain matches the ‘69 veneer better anyway.

Do you know anything about the soft rubber/vinyl on the rim blow wheel?

I will find out soon enough once I remove the inlay completely and can peel off the piece to see what it’s cross section looks like...

I could use the replacement inlay on my wheel if I can figure out how to fill in that 1/3 section.

Of course, if I fix the inlay on the ‘70, I can re-use the old school steering wheel cover that was on the 70 and put it on the ‘69 instead of fixing the wheel...
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

Cadillac Fleetwood

The 1969 inlay is rosewood grain.  The 1970 inlay is tamo wood grain, as is the 1971. I forgot to state that a 1971 wheel (with its horn pad and shroud) can be used on a 1970, although it is incorrect.  There is at least one 1970 Eldorado in southern California wearing a '71 wheel, and I'm the "guilty" party for having provided it, LOL.

The 1969 rim-blow soft insert was not serviceable separately. Cadillac recommended replacement of the entire wheel assembly.  I have an NOS 1969 wheel for my convertible (not to be installed until all body and paint work are completed - I don't want any damage to it from ham-handedness or other "accidents" along the way).

I have not explored the possibility of adapting the FOMOCO rim blow.  I do know that on the Ford products using rim-blow, that the soft insert was serviceable on the THREE SPOKE wheels only.  I think these are being reproduced. On the two-spoke steering wheels, they are not replaceable.

-Charles
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

wrench

Charles,

I apologize for misquoting you. Like a squirrel, once I saw the word pecan somewhere it got stuck in my brain...

Thanks for the additional info and background.

I went back and looked at the post from the guy who put a ‘76 wheel in a ‘69 and looked at the pic he attached.

I like the padded wheel, but don’t like the spoke trim.

So if I can fit a padded wheel and the 69 spoke trim that would work for me.

I will have to experiment with a few things...

I will advise and/or ask more questions here as this unfolds.
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

Scot Minesinger

The 1970 and 1969 steering columns are same.  The steering wheels and horn pads are different but should interchange on the column.  You can convert a 1969 steering wheel/horn pad to a 1970.  The 1969 steering wheel is rim blow (squeeze the steering wheel to sound the horn), and the 1970 has a pad that you push down on to sound the horn.  The 1969 steering wheels do not seem to hold up well on sound the horn issue.  Several 1969 Cadillacs are converted to 1970 steering wheel and horn operation.  On the 1970 Cadillac, there is a piece of plastic often referred to as a "rose" and if this is bad or broken the horn will not work.  This "rose" was used from 1970 thru 1982 on many GM tilt wheel models and is readily available today.  If you plan on taking apart a 1970 column to be used on another car, or whatever, plan on replacing the "rose" too - have the part there. 
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Cadman-iac

Scot,
Is this the "rose" to which you refer? I'm not sure I know which piece you're referring to if this isn't the part.
It would sure be nice if this is still available,  as I've been gluing them together in order to reuse them.
Thanks,

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"