News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Torque convert clutch lock-up solenoid/ 1985 Eldorado/part source??

Started by danjarrett1, March 03, 2020, 07:11:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danjarrett1

Have been enduring symptoms of a bad TCC solenoid. Unplugged the solenoid and problems abated, but...I know that’s not the solution. Need to replace the solenoid. Dropped the pan, new filter kit and gasket ready, on,unto discover that my NEW solenoid didn’t fit properly.  Ordered a replacement “universal “ TCC solenoid on Amazon....was supposed to fit my car..... Does anyone have a source for an OE replacement TCC solenoid that is not “universal”??  Btw, I could not locate a part number on the factory installed solenoid.
1974 Cadillac Eldorado convertible
2007 Cadillac Escalade
1980 Cadillac Seville “Bustleback”
1985 Cadillac Eldorado

Cadman-iac

The last time I needed one I got it from a Delco warehouse. I don't know if you have one nearby, but there's at least one in every state as I recall. Here in Arizona we have one in all the main cities.
I needed one for my 81 El Camino a few years back and it was spot on for fit and performance. Just in case,  I got two so if it ever quit on me again I have a spare.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

danjarrett1

Delco warehouse may be a solution, I live in Kentucky. Considering visiting the local GM Cadillac dealer, I’ve bought parts for my Escalade from them but not sure if they could source this piece
2007 Cadillac Escalade
1985 Cadillac Eldorado

Cadman-iac

Quote from: danjarrett1 on March 03, 2020, 07:49:38 PM
Delco warehouse may be a solution, I live in Kentucky. Considering visiting the local GM Cadillac dealer, I’ve bought parts for my Escalade from them but not sure if they could source this piece

All GM dealers order some of their stock parts from Delco, at least they did when I was still working for one.  I placed an order every week. They get a better price from Delco than from GM parts directly on products made or supplied by Delco.
I could order the same part from both GM and Delco and always got a better deal from Delco. The only problem was I always had to source a certain percentage directly from GM, but I got to choose which parts from which source. There were rebate programs and other things to consider when choosing who I would buy from.
But I haven't worked for a dealer since '04, I don't know what the restructuring did, and the deletion of other car lines did to the parts programs that GM used to have.

Rick
CLC# 32373

danjarrett1

Thanks Rick....not sure if GM dealer could even find that part or me
2007 Cadillac Escalade
1985 Cadillac Eldorado

Cadman-iac

Just off the top of my head,  I think the group number is 4.122 for that. I'd have to check a parts manual to be positive. But any good parts man should be able to find that.
CLC# 32373

danjarrett1

Yes, but the one they show that is most like the original, is currently out of stock
2007 Cadillac Escalade
1985 Cadillac Eldorado

Dave Shepherd

Ok, didn't  see that.  Possible a later model one from say an 90's fwd Gm car may work, that had the 4t60e Trans.

TJ Hopland

I wonder how many solenoids there are for that era?  You would not think there were that many.   

I was going to suggest some of the vintage transmission places like Fatsco but at least based on their websites it looks like their support ends before the OD and lockup units.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason