News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1957 cadillac Biarritz need help with trunk lid alignment

Started by 57CaddyBiarritz, March 07, 2020, 04:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

57CaddyBiarritz

I am having difficulty lining up truck lid . I did remove hinges with lid and restore them now when attaching bolts are in the back portion in slot holes that are used for line up . trunk lid looks like it should move back1/2" more . Is there something that i am doing wrong with lid ? thanks for your kind help Jim / john

Omarine

Besides marking the location prior to disassembling, i don't know of an easy way other then to loosen the bolts and trying to massage it back into place. Small corrections make a big difference. It’s time consuming...

Cheers
1949 Harley Davidson FL
1952 Cadillac Coupe de Ville
1961 Chevy Impala 2 dr hardtop

57CaddyBiarritz

I was hoping that there was some adjustments with hinges  ? I asked my painted to line up lid and i think he had same problem .Its difficult to put to much force with damage paint job . Thanks For you help Jim

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

John,

Attached is from the '57 Shop Manual

HTH
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Quentin Hall

57 lids are prone to sticking in the up position if not lubricated.  Over time it has probably had force applied to force it closed.
It may have bent your hinges downwards. I would inspect your hinges and try and see if there is evidence of prior bending of the arms. I would bolt a long lever bar ( like a 4x2 inch 1/4 wall rhs )to an individual hinge and apply upwards force past the highest point of travel being careful not to damage the paint or ss and see if you can get them to bend up. Gently. Gently.
I had the same trouble on my second Biarritz and the same trouble with the hood hinges on my 59 Biarritz.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Quentin Hall

I’d also dig out photos prior to restoration to see if the problem was apparent then or post restoration. ... I think you will discover the problem was there prior.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz