News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1959 Sedan DeVille

Started by billycox@verizon.net, March 10, 2020, 03:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billycox@verizon.net

I recently purchased a 1959 Sedan DeVille.  It is in great shape.  However, with it being an absolute monster, I feel as if I need to have seatbelts installed.  I have a vintage specialty body shop that can do the work.  Does anybody have any recommendations?

Two additional questions:

The front drivers side window needs replaced.  Where do I buy decent priced replacement window.

Also, I want to get the AC working again.  Any advice.

Billy Cox

billycox@verizon.net
202-569-3300

Andrew Trout

Seatbelts are a great idea.

A chrome lift-latch lap belt will be period appropriate. Ideally the strap color will match the leather color of your seats & interior. If you've got some string or rope that can help you measure how long your straps should be. Err on the longer side if you're in doubt on the length needed.
Rochester, NY
1961 Convertible

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Billy,

I totally agree that the fitting of Seat Belts in older cars is one of the best additions that can be made, but there is one matter that needs to be considered, and that is the routing of the inner webbing, which the buckle is attached to.

The construction of the seat base in many cars, especially those made by GM, does not allow for a straight-line path for the belt webbing, as it has to travel under the seat back, then up and over the seat base before heading to the floor.

I looked at fitting belts to my ’60 CDV, and the lip at the back of the seat base is very high, and “sharp”.  (first picture)  The belt that goes there would need to have a direct path to the floor, thereby requiring cutting through the seat frame, as is with the ’69 sedan, and then a sock sewn in to protect the webbing from abrading.   The ’69 already had factory seat belts fitted, and the seat frame had the required “hole” through the springs to cater for the belts.

If you look at later model cars, most will have a plastic “ferrule” protecting the webbing.

Plus, when fitting the belts, go for the three point Lap/Sash, as these will protect your chest from destroying your valuable steering wheel and horn ring in the unfortunate event of being involved in a nasty prang.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   For those with a 2 door car, when fitting seat belts, then one must fit seat back latches to stop the seat back from falling forward.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

35-709

"The front drivers side window needs replaced.  Where do I buy decent priced replacement window."
The side windows are flat glass, any auto glass shop can cut you one and install it.

"Also, I want to get the AC working again.  Any advice."
Find and AC shop that has been in business long enough to have worked on those systems --- bring money.  Might just need a leaking condenser or evaporator replaced.  Old Air Products --- https://www.oldairproducts.com/   is a good place for parts and advice.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Jeff Wilk

Seat belts were optional in 59 and as such adding them is a direct bolt on by following the information from the Cadillac Serviceman bulletin
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Jeff,

I would be very interested to see how Cadillac fitted the seat belt to the '59.

Would have only been a lap belt though.

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Cadman-iac

Does anyone know what year they first offered seat belts for a Cadillac?
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Jeff Wilk

Here is the 1959 Serviceman page showing location for mounting the OEM optional Seat Belts.
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Gene Beaird

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on March 10, 2020, 06:57:57 PM
G'day Billy,

I totally agree that the fitting of Seat Belts in older cars is one of the best additions that can be made, but there is one matter that needs to be considered, and that is the routing of the inner webbing, which the buckle is attached to.

The construction of the seat base in many cars, especially those made by GM, does not allow for a straight-line path for the belt webbing, as it has to travel under the seat back, then up and over the seat base before heading to the floor.

I looked at fitting belts to my ’60 CDV, and the lip at the back of the seat base is very high, and “sharp”.  (first picture)  The belt that goes there would need to have a direct path to the floor, thereby requiring cutting through the seat frame, as is with the ’69 sedan, and then a sock sewn in to protect the webbing from abrading.   The ’69 already had factory seat belts fitted, and the seat frame had the required “hole” through the springs to cater for the belts.

If you look at later model cars, most will have a plastic “ferrule” protecting the webbing.

Plus, when fitting the belts, go for the three point Lap/Sash, as these will protect your chest from destroying your valuable steering wheel and horn ring in the unfortunate event of being involved in a nasty prang.

PS.   For those with a 2 door car, when fitting seat belts, then one must fit seat back latches to stop the seat back from falling forward.

Note that that latch needs to be installed if you're contemplating a 3-point belt system and using the seat back for the shoulder harness.  Back in the late '50's and early '60's, a single lap belt was pretty much all that was used.  The family '59 Eldo (affectionately called the 'Pink Monstrosity' by my Mom) had lap belts only, and no latch on the seat back.  Seat belts were a requirement for driving a vehicle on base at Vandenberg in the early '60's, so belts had to be retrofitted to our '59 Rambler, and possibly even the Cadillac.  Not 100% certain on the Cad, as I was only about 7 then , but do remember the belt requirement on base.  We then got a '64 Riviera, and while it, too, had lap belts, it also did not have any seat back latch. 

Later '60's era GMs started getting shoulder harnesses added from the factory, but with the exception of convertibles, all shoulder harnesses were anchored to the roof. 
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

Barry M Wheeler #2189

The door glass will be the same as 1959 Olds 98 and Buick Electra 225 if they try to gouge you because it's a Cadillac...Make sure that they know which body style you have as well. (If you don't have a glass shop near and have to have it sent to you.) Four window body with no quarter window behind the rear door, or the six window body that does. Good luck, and welcome.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

GBrown #8092

While some manufacturers offered belts in the mid 50's, several states required belts before they became factory standard equipment.  I seem to recall that Wisconsin required lap belts in 1962. They were usually the metal buckles and clasps, but I recall some were, toothed metal buckles directly attached to the belt webbing.
Rears were sometime after 64, as my Dad's new 64 Buick didn't come with them.  I don't recall when they were nationally required.

There is a national seat belt vendor, I'll DM you their information

Glenn

Chuck Patton

Welcome Billy

You have an attractive Cadillac!

Adding seat belts to your vehicle is not only a smart decision, but they will enhance the value.

Additionally, please consider joining our 5960 Cadillac Chapter. As a current CLC member participation is free but ownership is not necessary. We promote, preserve and share information about our era vehicles with parts, prices, service and vendor experience. You can reach me at fifty9sixtycadillacsemail addresses not permitted
Appraiser-Broker-Consultant
Past CLC National Board Director
Past CLCMRC Director
Past CLC Motor City Region President
CLC 1959-60 Cadillac Chapter Director
CLC Life Member #23147

dochawk

Quote from: GBrown #8092 on March 12, 2020, 05:14:18 PM
While some manufacturers offered belts in the mid 50's, several states required belts before they became factory standard equipment.

My father special ordered his 64 VW in California over this.

"We can't let this car leave the lot without seatbelts."

To which he replied, "I brought my own."

If memory serves, he bought his own of $4, while the dealer wanted $12.

And he in fact sat there and installed them before driving it off the lot . . .
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)