News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

!946/47 Hood latch adjustment

Started by toybox, March 12, 2020, 01:23:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toybox

Hi all,                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
       I'm a new member with a lot vintage car experience but none with Cadillac. I have a 1946 series 61 coup that just received a rebuilt 346.
      The hood latch has never worked correctly for for me and the shop manual doesn't seem to cover it.  I'm afraid of two things here, one, I adjust it improperly and I cant get the hood open at all, and two, I leave it the way it is and the hood comes open while driving. All the parts are there so any thoughts will be appreciated.          Thanks, Tim

Oliver Betker

Hello,
It's a game to get it right. You have to feel your way.
It is important to start with the locking roller in a position in which the hood has too much play when closed. Then slowly reduce the hood play by further readjusting.
To do this, slowly set the locking roller lower, forwards and backwards if necessary.
Use some grease or powder to see the imprints of the locking hook. You can then feel your way forward.
The hood does not open by itself while driving, it is too heavy for that and the second hook holds it as a safety device. If your hood springs are still very strong, you can hang out one on the left and one on the right for safety.
It is more dangerous to set it too tight, then you won't be able to open it because the hood hook no longer opens.
Regards
1946 Cadillac Series 61 Coupe
1958 Chevrolet Bel Air 4door Sedan
1958 Wartburg 311 4door Sedan 900
1961 Wartburg 311 4door Sedan 1000
1963 Trabant 500 2door Sedan
1989 Trabant 601 2door Sedan
1966 Bulldozer T 100 MGP
1968 Bulldozer T 100 MGP
1998 Nissan Pickup Navara
2015 Ford Ranger Pickup
1978 MZ T 250/1
1992 Harley Davidson Fat boy

toybox

Thank you Oliver,   That makes total sense now that you say it. I had two hoods come open while driving over the years. Not an experience one wants to repeat.           Tim