News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

What has been on your to do list since you have owned the car?

Started by TJ Hopland, March 15, 2020, 10:29:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

Just hoping that there are others that have had things on their list longer than me. 

On the 90 CDV I got almost 2 years ago for some reason the little ears on the ignition were broke off so its awkward and kinda hard on your fingers to start it.   Ordered a replacement lock assembly with the first parts order but so far its just sitting in the box on the bench.

On the 73 the door locks were sized up when I got the car over 20 years ago and they still are.  Hey its a convertible that mostly gets driven with the top down so who needs locks right?   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Cadman-iac

Well, I bought my '56 back in '93, and  I wanted to start on it right away,  but I needed parts, and was working 60 hour weeks with commuting, so for over 25 years I collected and stashed parts for it, before I finally began working on it 2 or 3 years ago. Unfortunately I didn't write down anything about it, and at the time I didn't have a digital camera to take pictures of my progress on it. I'm wishing I had now, as my memory isn't what it used to be.
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Andrew Trout

I’ve got a long list of fixes for my car. Some are aesthetic, some are more functional.

The three that impact the driving experience the most are:

The cancelling cam not working for the directionals
An electrical issues that keeps the light bulbs in the instrument cluster from working, so driving the car at dusk isn’t easy as I can’t see my speed as clearly
Rear view mirror will droop so I can’t see behind me without a quick readjustment each time

Other things are replacing worth weather stripping, pitted chrome trim pieces, spacing on parts of the dash, and replacing the hinges of the drivers door.
Rochester, NY
1961 Convertible

cadillacmike68

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

jaxops

49 Limousine: working windows.  Still working on that project!
56 Limousine: a better functioning air conditioner....but it's less important with short drives.  I just leave the windows opened.
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

Scot Minesinger

OK:

1970 CDV purchased in 2005:  Apparently the sheet metal below the top when lowered is thin and makes a rattling sound.  To fix it the metal has to be reinforced.  Since the noise is gone with top down (pressing against this metal to keep it from vibrating) it is a top up only (and intermittent) issue, so have been meaning to get to it.  Maybe this year?

1970 four door convertible - finish restore, bought in 2009, it is a wrok in progress with no compromises - life has been busy!  Too much to list that needs completion.

1970 SDV purchased 2012:  Need to fix gas pedal to carb linkage, just not quite right feel.  Need to fix passenger front door, never quite aligned right.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

dochawk

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on March 15, 2020, 12:26:02 PM
Selling it (for a profit?).  :P

That is beyond the scope of this forum.

Please see Mr. Rourke for assistance . . .
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

Jim Miller

On my ‘41 I have a shorter fan bracket to install which should allow me to snug up the belt a bit more. With the current bracket in its highest position, the belt slips. The next size down in belts are too tight and can’t adjust the bracket any lower. Shorter bracket should work just fine with the shorter belt. Hard to explain unless you’ve seen the ‘41.
On my ‘49 I have a new left rear axle to install. The current has a very slight wobble we found when we ran it on stands looking for a vibration. Then I’d like to install a dual master cylinder using one of Art Gardner’s bracket and kit. Then I really should restore the steering wheel. Lots of cracks.
Other than that, there’s nothing to do.
Jim Miller

1941 6219
1949 6237X
1970 CDV
2021 XT6
Past:
1991 SDV
1999 DeElegence
2006 DTS
2013 XTS
2016 SRX

cadillacmike68

Quote from: dochawk on March 15, 2020, 09:50:49 PM
That is beyond the scope of this forum.

Please see Mr. Rourke for assistance . . .

Since I've had the 68 for nearly 22 years, I think all the original to do has been completed.

But just looking at it wrong will make something go wrong, so there are always items on the to do list.

As for selling it, not until I can no longer drive. The smiley with tongue sticking out on my earlier post should make that clear.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

dochawk

I'm hoping for a bolt-on self driving kit by the time I can't drive, which I estimate to be in about 40 years.

And if that fails, it shouldn't be too hard to hire a teenager . . .
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

cadillacmike68

^^ IF you can find one with a driver's license.  :P

Looking at another post. I just remembered that I need the front outside seatbelts put in new covers and the driver side repaired because it won't retract. The original covers disintegrated almost right away.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

dochawk

I think I'll have sufficient bait to entice a couple to get licenses . . .

hmm, maybe a grandchild or three will move back this direction . . .

wrench

Lol, dude, I have a little red Radio Flyer wagon in the garage from when I was a kid that has a frikkin’ honey-do list...

The Cadillacs? Well, let’s just say they are a work in progress.
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

Cadillac Jack 82

I personally need to recharge my AC system in my 1955.  All the components work but it hasn't had a charge in a while.  Aside from that just hire someone to give it a full detail.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

James Landi

Since I have indulged myself in a very low mileage XLR, in my situation at age 74, I'm hoping to still be healthy and able to drive the car come summer when the car gets out of its "spa treatment" winter storage.  Happy day, James

Jim Miller

This is what you find on the internet when you are stuck at home and it’s not fit to get one of the cars out.
Jim Miller

1941 6219
1949 6237X
1970 CDV
2021 XT6
Past:
1991 SDV
1999 DeElegence
2006 DTS
2013 XTS
2016 SRX

bctexas

I got my '65 CDV last June.  Out of 33 to-do's, I have completed 19.  The biggest completed ones being a front end rebuild and refurbishing a set of the correct wheels and wheel covers (and new tires).  I've been able to fix most of the transmission leaks - it is down to an almost acceptable level for the time being.  The biggest thing left on the list is the AC.  I did a bunch of analysis last year (thanks Tim!) and I think I know what it will take to get the control system working.  Need to visit Old Air with the car and get their take on the best direction to go first.  I have been able to reach a point where the car is an enjoyable driver, and it has so far been reliable.  Fun stuff!

Happy Motoring!
1965 CDV
1970 SDV

dochawk

Quote from: Jim Miller on March 17, 2020, 01:26:03 PM
This is what you find on the internet when you are stuck at home and it’s not fit to get one of the cars out.

I had a lady come up and tell me that she would help by buying that "old car" in my garage for a starter car for her son.

I'm pretty sure she knew *exactly* what a 1972 Cadillac convertible is.

I'd already been a bit less than polite in shooing her off when it occurred to me that my response should have been, "Do I look like Mrs. Malone?"

>:(

James Landi

Richard-- Got to wonder what she would have thought would be a fair price for your "old car."   I'd be tempted to string out the conversation with her, but you likely protected yourself from further insult, and that's a good thing.    Happy day, James

dochawk

I don't think she was thinking about the better part of a thousand . . .

It did occur to me to express my surprise that someone would pay $8k or more for a starter car . . .