News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Please stay home, go polish some chrome.

Started by 76eldo, March 22, 2020, 11:48:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

76eldo

Please stay home during this time of crisis.
Many of us are in the age group that has a much higher mortality rate from this virus.
Keep anyone away that is still out and about. They can innocently infect you even without direct contact.

If you need something to do, work in the garage on your car.  Chrome always needs a little polish and a fresh coat of wax.

Hope to see you at a car event possibly in the fall.

Stay home and stay safe.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Rich S

Great advice, Brian! I will be working on shining up the grill (actually a very detailed, thorough cleaning) on my '71 Eldorado Convertible--something recently discussed in another thread. It caused me to look at the grill closely. With regard to the COVID-19 pandemic, the more we all follow the recommendations of the experts, by staying home, the sooner we will be back to "normal!"
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

chrisntam

I'm happy to have a thread about this.  No matter what the mods say, we can't ignore the elephant in everyone's room.

There is plenty of stuff to do on the car(s) and around the house.

Premium gas (93 octane) this morning at the local Costco was $1.859.  Nice.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

D.Smith

Well said!       It's a very good point that many of us are not kids anymore and have health issues.   

Both my cars (old and new) are full of gas from before the big price drop.    Being home with only the supermarket to go to just isn't using up any gas.   

I pray we all make it through this crisis and can get to enjoy our old cars next year.   

quadfins

Go for a long drive. Advantages:

1   You are alone, and won't be exposed by community contact
2   You will now have an excuse to fill up with the now inexpensive gas
3   Where else could anyone possibly rather be, than behind the wheel of a rolling work of art?

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

James Landi

I wish to add #4 to the list.  Taking a long drive in your car will boil off all of the internal moisture in the engine, transmission,exhaust system, etc- your car's internal parts need careful exercise, just as we  "seniors" can benefit from moderate physical activity as well.  Notice please, I state MODERATE!  Don't race you car-- turn up maximum rpms, or generally, push your fine old car to its limits... you most assuredly will break something!  Happy day, James

D.Smith

If you do take your classic out for a drive just be careful.

I've noticed that on the highways in my area people are driving crazier than ever.    Speeding and erratic lane changes.     Yes I know it has always been like that in most areas, but now it seems far worse as people are in panic mode.     And even on the side roads I've noticed a lot of erratic driving, people running red lights if there is no cross traffic, etc.   

So if you do take your classic out, be more defensive than ever.   

Jeff Wilk

So VERY VERY glad to see these responses!!!!!  What a difference a week makes. I put these same sentiments out there in two other posts last week and the “attacks” were so wrong and disappointing and scary. One post was even deleted by the admins based on what some were saying. Lets keep this messaging going. It’s amazing how slow some States still are in shutting things down and enforcing it. I’m in NJ/NY and have several family members in front line health care. The reports on TV about shortages are real and cant do justice to the real life situation and helplessness the first responders are in the middle of. Let’s do our simple job of staying home so as not to spread this further and faster.
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Cadillac Fleetwood

Quote from: 76eldo on March 22, 2020, 11:48:37 AM
Please stay home during this time of crisis.
Many of us are in the age group that has a much higher mortality rate from this virus.
Keep anyone away that is still out and about. They can innocently infect you even without direct contact.

If you need something to do, work in the garage on your car.  Chrome always needs a little polish and a fresh coat of wax.

Hope to see you at a car event possibly in the fall.

Stay home and stay safe.

Thanks, Brian.  Sound advice!  You're going to have MORE chrome to polish in the coming week. (LOL)
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

Cadillac Fleetwood

Quote from: Jeff Wilk on March 22, 2020, 05:25:33 PM
So VERY VERY glad to see these responses!!!!!  What a difference a week makes. I put these same sentiments out there in two other posts last week and the “attacks” were so wrong and disappointing and scary. One post was even deleted by the admins based on what some were saying. Lets keep this messaging going. It’s amazing how slow some States still are in shutting things down and enforcing it. I’m in NJ/NY and have several family members in front line health care. The reports on TV (even Fox) about shortages are real and cant do justice to the real life situation and helplessness the first responders are in the middle of. Let’s do our simple job of staying home so as not to spread this further and faster.

Two thumbs up!
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

Scot Minesinger

OK, I don't think we should be writing about politically charged non-Cadillac topics such as this.  Cadillacs and LaSalles bring us together.

But since it is here, frankly it is overblown.  The current state is completely unsustainable unless the mortgage companies are going to forgive loans,  food is given away and the like.  It is understood exactly why we have to do it, and I am.  There just has got to be another way.  I'm fortunate financially, but most people who lost their job are not.  The government cannot make payroll for the entire Country and make loans to impacted industries for months on end.  The cure may be worse than the disease.  This is not an attack, just my opinion, and I know the kind forum members will not be mean to me.

Given that over 4 million people die every year (11,000 every day) in America (and 300 have died so far of Corona over a month or so), many more lives could be saved with a lot less financial resources.  If this continues much longer the consequences will be devastating.  Older people have said (because they remember and lived through it) we made less of a fuss when WWII started.

Wish I knew another way, and I would be worth billions if I did.

Bringing it back to Cadillac, today I changed the 7 year old tires on my 1970 SDV that had 8k miles on them, and sold them used.  Then I drove to an auto parts store at a strip mall as a test drive.  Enjoy the photographic evidence. 
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Scott
Your picture reminds me of something dear to me I miss now. The Gym
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

76eldo

Scot

I didn’t start this to be political.

I sincerely hope they this virus runs it’s course and the people I care for on this forum are spared from getting it.

The powers that be are telling us to stay home.  I stand to lose a lot of money if I don’t work like millions if others. My business is a little different to it’s not technically closed but I will not be out doing any new work.

I just wanted the express my hope that none of us are done in by this virus. Staying home will certainly help.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

rwchatham CLC 21892

Good point Brian . Really ridiculous when people say what’s the big deal people die from this or that everyday why worry about this ? Because if we  don’t the hospitals will soon be so overwhelmed the whole system will come crashing down .
R. Waligora

chrisntam

The virus, Cadillacs and the solution are not political.

Wash your hands, don't touch your face (I can't not do this), stay home, work on your car(s), clean your house, stay connected with your friends & family.

This too shall pass.  Looking forward to the GN, whether it be in 2020 or 2021.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

The Tassie Devil(le)

I have been down in my Garage/Workshop, starting to re-arrange stuff, and putting stuff away.

Made up some hanging space for my newly-acquired Go-jacks, and I am pretty sure that the smoke and fumes from the welding would have killed anything bad.

Had to rebuild the jacks, as I used them to move the front of my Eldorado, and the plastic rollers simply distorted completely out of shape, and one cracked, so I replaced them with steel tubing.   Work a treat, and easier to use as well.   Great weight-training when hanging them as well.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

David Greenburg

One can make it, like pretty much anything, into a political issue. But it is not; it is a very serious health issue.  Even the politicians are in agreement about that now. And  the older you are, the greater your risks, even if you don’t have any underlying conditions.  And most here are not in there 20’s anymore. Let’s hope the measures are “overblown.”  Because if they’re “underblown” we are all in some deep trouble. You won’t be wondering when the next chance to drive your Cadillac will be; you’ll be praying that the next person to drive it is you, and not your heirs.  So stay safe and follow the distancing protocols, if not for yourself, for your loved ones besides your Cadillacs.  Fortunately we all have a hobby that we can enjoy even without a lot of social interaction.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

rwchatham CLC 21892

Bruce are you sure they are go jaks , usually go jaks are purple in color and have aluminum rollers .
R. Waligora

The Tassie Devil(le)

Wish they were, but the only ones I can afford are the cheap ones with plastic rollers.

Here they are either red or silver.

I will have to build up some more strength to get them down and show them in their correct operational location, as the rollers just slip down when hung.   I had to cut the rollers in half so they would slip over the ends.   Unlike the plastic ones which are slightly larger in diameter, and I had the steel tubing laying in my use-for-another-day pile.

Bruce. >:D 
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Scot Minesinger

I have been working at home for 15 years now.  There are client meetings and project inspections, but since the shut-down, now there are no requests to visit clients or inspect projects.  Also, I have a small but effective home gym and a new very active dog to walk (say hello to never less then 20,000 steps every day even rain or cold).  Today was 24,301 steps so far as I type this right now.  No worries about a roof over my head, clothes on my back and food on the table.  There are an endless list of projects at my house and garage, only limited by my imagination.

It is understood we have to avoid human contact to minimize/slow the spread of the disease and over load the medical resources.  Tens of millions of people out of work, it is so sad.  It is disheartening, but I am making the best of it. 

At least my new dog enjoys pure bliss without an economic care in the world riding in the 1970 Cadillac DVC.  He is a great car dog, and his claws are worn down smooth so no leather damage. 
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty