News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Vacuum tube from carb. 65 deville 4gc

Started by johngmm7, March 28, 2020, 03:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johngmm7

The vacuum tube from the carb to the 'block' of tubing at the firewall is damaged. I cannot remove it from the block without cutting it. Seems it should just pull out unless someone has glued it in place.  Is it necessary to cut and join a new tube. Surely it's not necessary to buy a complete new block and all tubing. Thanks for any input.  John

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

There is a bulkhead fitting that has vacuum line connections on both sides of the firewall and it sounds like that is what you are describing
Greg surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

spolij

John  Take a picture. Are you sure it doesn't go thru the firewall?

FYI  When i can't get a hose off i make a cut parallel with the hose and peal it off.

johngmm7

The block where all the lines are connected is about an inch and half square and in two halves.  The top half with all lines attached  separates from the lower half.  The manual doesn't touch on this anywhere that I have found - all very strange. My car is all authentic and original.

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Again,
that is one of (I believe) 3 bulkhead fittings on the firewall where vacuum lines and electrical circuits pass through the firewall.  There should be a split clamp held to the firewall by screws that hold thwe fitting in place.  If you remove the lamp the entire fitting can be removed, but i strongly suggest you do not do this because it can be quite dificult to replace it correctly.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

spolij

John this is from a 66. Is this what your talking about? the arrow points to a plastic tube to which a rubber tube attaches.

johngmm7

I am going to attach 3 photo's.  One of them after the 'block' is separated for penetrating the firewall.  It seems to me there must be a way of removing the tubing from the top section as this stuff doesn't last for ever and replacements will be necessary.  I will try carefully placing a blade between the tube and the fitting as it might just be tight with age and just a little careful prying might work. If now, I will cut and rejoin with a small piece of copper tubing.  The fix for some small troubles always seem to be less obvious than the more major repairs/replacements.  >:(

spolij

You talking about climate control vacuum system in the blocks being on top of the power servo. I'm pretty sure the lines are molded into what you call a block. Didn't try but mine were never loose or anything so I didn't have to take them out.
If I had to replace one tube I would cut the tube at the base, get a tube like you mentioned drill through from the bottom glue in the tubing. Then you can attach the hose to that tubing. Finding a metal tube that small would be a problem I think. They sell plastic tee's that you can trim and attach. Most auto parts stores have them. If not they are online along with straight connectors versus tees. I would get an in-line splicing thing, LOL, that fits the tubing and insert that into the block.
This is on amazon