News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

62 antenna question

Started by Gatorguy64, March 29, 2020, 07:44:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gatorguy64

OK hopefully this is simple fix.  Just bought a 62 Deville.  I can hear the antenna motor working(good thing) when I push or pull the knob but the antenna will not go up or down.  It will collapse if I push it down but not all the way into the fender.  Any suggestions.

Cadillac Fleetwood

The antenna mast is extended and retracted by a nylon cable, which is wrapped around a spool when the motor is activated.  Think of a nylon cable that looks like the material used in a weed-whacker.  The fact that you are able to partially collapse the antenna is indicative of the cable being broken from its connection at the mast, or elsewhere. It's time for disassembly and overhaul.

Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

Gatorguy64

Thanks Charles...That's what I was kind of thinking.  At least the motor still works.  Is that a difficult job?  Is the cable something you can still buy?

savemy67

Hello Gatorguy64,

The difficulty of repair will be inversely proportional to your mechanical skill.  My '67's antenna was broken, but I undertook the repair even though I had not repaired a power antenna previously.  See here for my adventure:

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=133691.20

Scroll/page down to reply 29.  In my article, there is a link to someone who repaired the power antenna for their 1960 Cadillac.  Between the two articles, you should have a good idea of what is involved in a repair of your '62.

When I did my repair, a replacement cable was available, but it may have been a universal replacement.  I haven't checked to see what is available now.

Respectfully submitted,

Christopher Winter

Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop