News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Cadillac 542 engine

Started by Dexfoster, March 29, 2020, 09:59:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dexfoster

Cadillac 542 engine ive been working on for the past year or so.
Dex
1947 sedanette
1947 sedan
1946 sedan
1957 coupe deville

The Tassie Devil(le)

Now, that is one nice engine, but sadly, would necessitate a hole in the hood in a road car.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Dexfoster

Bruce you are correct but ill more than likely run it with no hood while the blower is on it.
Dex
1947 sedanette
1947 sedan
1946 sedan
1957 coupe deville

chrisntam

Please bring that monster to the next GN!!!

8)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

hornetball

That's cool.  What are you putting it in?

TJ Hopland

Maybe its going in the mid to late 70's Eldo that belongs to that hubcap on the wall next to it.   Interesting how some colors are not timeless.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

fishnjim

Looks like it might be for the white car in the last photo?
This is right up there with the "Blown Rolls".   Sharp stick in the eye of Caddie luxury norms. 
More suited to "modifications" forum.

I think an injected twin turbo would make more HP and fit under the hood.   Certainly not a street friendly build.   Have to tub those Cad rear wells...  Forget about stopping it or tire life.
There's a guy over around Concord, NC that makes wild jaw dropping twin supercharged, floor to ceiling type motors.   He comes to the auto fair and displays his wares. 

Cadman-iac

That's a beautiful looking engine. I like the color it's painted. I can't tell if it's a copper or a gold of some sort from how much of it I can see.
What brand of manifold did you use for it? I also didn't know that there was one available for a blower setup.
That's probably going to have at least a thousand horsepower. It would be very interesting to see how it tests on the dyno. Are you going put it on a dyno before you install it?
  Very cool indeed. Good luck with your build. I would love to see pictures of it after you have it all together.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Dexfoster

Not going in the one in the picture. its going in a 46 sedan. Not trying to offend anyone its a 1970 500 block just put it up for some to see. Im going carb not injection because hot rodding just like the cars had a original style at one point back in the day.
Dex
1947 sedanette
1947 sedan
1946 sedan
1957 coupe deville

Dexfoster

Rick its bronze if you want the paint code i can get it for you buddy. As far as dyno i won't be doing it till its in the car. Cad500parts.com has any and all parts to build a stock or full blown 472 and 500. (NOT Cadillac high performance)
1947 sedanette
1947 sedan
1946 sedan
1957 coupe deville

Dan LeBlanc

That is an insane build!  I wish I had 1/4 of that ability (and determination).

:o :o :o 8) 8) 8)
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Cadman-iac

If I can't find the original Cadillac blue paint for mine,  I would consider going with the bronze. The only problem with that is it wouldn't look right without any chrome to accent it. I don't think I could afford to chrome out mine like you did. But it sure is nice! If I had more funds available, I would go that route for sure.
You have to post pictures after it's installed!
Thanks for the information.

Rick
CLC# 32373

hornetball

Quote from: fishnjim on March 30, 2020, 09:58:03 AMCertainly not a street friendly build.

But . . . there's a chromed AC compressor on there!

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Cadman-iac on March 30, 2020, 10:36:47 AM
If I can't find the original Cadillac blue paint for mine,  I would consider going with the bronze. The only problem with that is it wouldn't look right without any chrome to accent it. I don't think I could afford to chrome out mine like you did. But it sure is nice! If I had more funds available, I would go that route for sure.
You have to post pictures after it's installed!
Thanks for the information.

Rick

Hirsch auto has the paint. There is a current thread about this.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Cadman-iac

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on April 01, 2020, 02:11:02 AM

Hirsch auto has the paint. There is a current thread about this.

Thanks Mike,
Yes, I started that one just before I made the post on this thread, as I didn't want to hijack Dex's thread for a question about paint.
But I was interested in knowing what paint he used on his engine.  It looks really sharp with the chrome accessories on it.

Take care, 
Rick
CLC# 32373

signart

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on March 29, 2020, 11:12:51 PM
Now, that is one nice engine, but sadly, would necessitate a hole in the hood in a road car.

Bruce. >:D

No hole in the hood necessary for that engine. For that engine, the hood goes in the front seat behind the steering wheel. 8)
Art D. Woody

cadillac ken

Beautiful engine.  I just prefer it to be hidden under the hood.  Makes folks wonder... when they hear the beast.

Here's a pic of the engine in my '37 coupe.  A 1970 500ci but certainly not the monster you have built.  I have stock mufflers and electric cut outs to open pipes--- just for fun!  The car looks all stock from the outside except a louvered hood.  Just a hint that it's not quite  all stock...

TJ Hopland

I like what Ken did with the I guess you would call them plug wire retainers?  Did you find covers without holes in the top or did you have to plug up some holes?

And a breather on both sides?  Or is one blocked and that is your oil fill just there for symmetry? 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

cadillac ken

Quote from: TJ Hopland on April 02, 2020, 12:48:28 PM
I like what Ken did with the I guess you would call them plug wire retainers?  Did you find covers without holes in the top or did you have to plug up some holes?

And a breather on both sides?  Or is one blocked and that is your oil fill just there for symmetry?

I found the plug wire covers on ebay believe it or not.  A guy makes them with nylon nuts and grommets and you need to drill your valve covers to mount them. Nice deal really.  They came without the emblems and I added the 1958 Cadillac dash emblems to them--- which I had but now there is another guy on ebay who sells repos of them for about $50 each.  Not bad really.

I purchased a set of chrome valve covers, again on ebay.  There was a hole in the one for an oil fill---which I used-- and you have to remove the plug wire cover on that side to fill with oil.  Not real convenient but it looks so much better without the fill cap exposed. 

As for the breathers, they both are functional.  Kind of overkill but I like the symmetry.   

Dexfoster

Ken i like your engine setup! Question, where did you get the hymn for the steering? I normally build a arm off the frame and put a nut on both sides but i like the one you have.
1947 sedanette
1947 sedan
1946 sedan
1957 coupe deville