News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Cadillac 1956 press release kit

Started by Saturnin15, March 31, 2020, 05:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saturnin15

I saw on ebay a press release kit for the 1956 models. It sold for over $350!!! Anybody have a PDF copy of it? I would be interested to see the information that was given to the press back then.
Sedan Deville 1956

Lowrider2905

Hi,

I think this may be included in the vehicle information kits they provide on the GM Heritage Center.

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/gm-heritage-archive/vehicle-information-kits.html

Or is this some kind of a map they gave out when the new models where introduced? Always like to lern new and get stuff like this for my 66 ;-)

Greetings, Richard

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

This type of information is not included in the standard
information from the Heritage Center.

I have original Press Kits for the 1955 models.  They
include nice glossy pics of all the new models along
with detailed descriptions for each model.  Some data is
included as to accessories and other info. They are well
worth getting if you have a '50's Cadillac.  A price of
$350 is not unreasonable to pay since there were only
a very limited number of thee distributed.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Cadman-iac

It's too bad that these aren't reproduced and available for someone wanting to add it to their own collection.  $350 may be a good price, like since you said, there were only a few made, but for one, that's more than a lot of people can afford,  and two,  as many people have a 56, it would be great to display with the car for shows and just to read and look at. I would love to have one,  but not at that price.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Saturnin15

Here some pictures of it.
Sedan Deville 1956

Saturnin15

Another one
Sedan Deville 1956

Lexi

Printed matter intended to serve a brief one time purpose like the Cadillac Press Kit for example, is known as ephemera. These paper items were never intended to survive beyond the completion of their brief mission. Ephemera is part of the nexus that connects us gear heads with the bibliophile and other related communities, (like comic book collectors, for example). In contrast, a lot of car people tend to view books and paper goods related to their vehicle, more as reference material than commodities. I know, over stated perhaps, & not 100%, but more or less that has been my experience both as a car guy and a bibliophile. We base our observations on what is the norm, not on the exceptions. 

A Flash comic book from 1956 (DC Showcase #4, October 1956), has fetched up to $179,000 USD I am told. I wouldn't pay that, (couldn't afford it anyways), but I am not a comic book guy. There are hard cover books that are modestly priced at under $100 but their value increases by thousands of dollars IF they have the dust jacket. If they are so-called "association copies", add more dollars. In some instances, add a lot more dollars. Most of these collectors are not car guys. As for the 1956 Cadillac Press Kit, that value in terms of gear head value is probably at top dollar if it is complete and in fine condition. Although somewhat comparing apples to oranges, comic book collectors probably think we have it made. $350 in the comic or book world is nothing just for run of the mill collectibles. We are fortunate that our focus is largely on cars which has kept some Cadillac related collectibles more or less affordable. That said, how many 1956 Cadillac Press Kits survived, intact? I have never seen one in some 45 years of collecting. Clay/Lexi

Saturnin15

That’s why it would be interresting to have a pdf copy of it!  Anybody have one?  Maybe the buyer, if he is a member of CLC, could share it with us by scanning it.
Sedan Deville 1956

Cadman-iac

Quote from: Saturnin15 on April 01, 2020, 12:06:45 PM
That’s why it would be interresting to have a pdf copy of it!  Anybody have one?  Maybe the buyer, if he is a member of CLC, could share it with us by scanning it.

That would be great,  for us, but I think it would devalue his purchase if it were available to anyone who wanted it online.
Part of the value is that it is rare. Distributing it like that takes the "mystery" out of it too.
As much as I would love to have a copy of it, I also wouldn't want to give it away if I had just laid out that much money for it.
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Saturnin15

I understand your point of view.  But I don’t think that sharing the information in it will decreased its value.
Sedan Deville 1956

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Saturnin15 on April 01, 2020, 08:25:49 PM
I understand your point of view.  But I don’t think that sharing the information in it will decreased its value.
With scans, you will never have the real thing. Don't forget that scanning material requires some work which should be given for free? Honestly, if I had such press release, I would not scan it. Sometimes, if the interest is that large, you have either to buy it or let it go.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

veesixteen

I've had quite a few of these press kits come through my 60-year collection. One of the rarest, IMO, is the 1957-58 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham, of which I have a "mere" copy, thanks to our Swiss member, Jean-Michel Roux in Hong-Kong. I never paid more than $10-15 for any of them ... but that was 50 years ago!

Like the cars themselves, their value has been multiplied by more than 1000 in many cases. Rarity is the key factor.  There are fewer and fewer nice ones to be had (cars or ephemera), plus more and more collectors!

I'm happy I "got into it" at 16 instead of  60!     
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

Saturnin15

I have some of old publicity, catalog, shop manual and data book that goes with my ‘56 Sedan deVille. But it was the first time that I saw the press release kit.  That’s why I wonder what’s in it.  How many of them do you think are still in existence? Anybody saw one?
Sedan Deville 1956

veesixteen

I have seen and handled quite a few in the 60 years I have been a collector of Cadillac ephemera. These "Press Kits" consist of a portfolio in two separate "envelopes". In the LH envelope are a number of pages of text, describing the year's production of the various models; in the RH one are a number of 8x10" B&W photos of (usually) all the latest models and perhaps also some new, interesting parts. The latter may number around a half-dozen or more.

I did not keep the pics in their original "display" portfolios. I created separate "photo albums" for each year of Cadillac or series of Cadillacs (i.e. the '53 Eldorado, Eldos from 1954 to 1966,  Eldos from 1967 up,  Eldo Brougham, V16 models, custom jobs on Cadillac  chassis, professional cars, Cadillac Toys, etc.

I guess a keen collector might want to keep these portfolios "as is"; I am more concerned with the textual and pictorial history of all models from 1902 to around 1980 and the "end of the BIG Caddies". Check out the "Cadillac Database" to see what I have done with the information I garnered over 60 years:  https://www.newcadillacdatabase.org/

jdemerson

Quote from: Saturnin15 on April 01, 2020, 08:25:49 PM
Eric, I believe you are right. Reprints of sales brochures, even when done very well, do not seem to lower the value of the originals.

I've collected Cadillac literature for a long time and have seen a lot of literature. Cadillac published many VERY nice prestige pieces in the 1930s. Many of these would sell for over $200, and a lot more than that is some cases. With some of them, very well-done reprints were made by Heritage Press (CA) in the 1970s. These would often sell for $20 to $35 when the originals might be 10 times that or more.

In some cases the originals, while very professionally done and nicely bound, had smaller dimensions than the very large originals (example: 1931 Cadillac V16 prestige brochure). But in other cases the sizes of the reprints were the same and the covers were nearly the same as the originals (example: 1933 Book of Fleetwood). Only someone very knowledgable about the literature could tell the difference. I have seen reprints advertised as "original" or "vintage" on eBay and listed at high prices. I always write to the seller and provide accurate information. Sometimes I cite Yann Saunders' Cadillac Database, especially where he discussed both the original item and the reproduction. In most cases the seller is appreciative and gracious about getting the information, and the listing is soon corrected. (EBay dealers are generally very careful about protecting their reputations.)

So, with Cadillac brochures from the late 20s through the 60s, I can't think of cases where the existence of reprints lowered the value of the nice originals. In a few cases the reprints themselves are quite valuable -- say, more than $50.

I have some Cadillac press folders or portfolios from 1962 and later, but none before 1962. The earlier ones are rare and expensive. I have never seen the 1956 Cadillac Press Portfolio, and I'm certain it is very valuable. It's great to know that a few collectors here have that item!

John Emerson
1952 Cadillac Sedan  6219X
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

veesixteen

Thanks to all who have added their penny's worth. My own interest is in Cadillac history and styling. I have collected (and passed on to "real" collectors) the "real McCoy". Copies suit me fine; what interests me is Cadillac INFORMATION and images, which may be originals, copies or digital scans; thank God for digital cameras and flat-bed scanners! 

I am fortunate to have had access to one of the finest collections of auto literature in the world: that of the late Z. Taylor Vinson, which is now part of the Hagley Museum and Library in Wilmington, DE. I was able to make reasonably good scans of all his "Cadillac" and "LaSalle" material, including some that is "irreplaceable".

My intention has been to add all those images to the Club's "Cadillac Database" but I am having difficulty getting volunteers to help out. I no longer have "control" of the Database myself and our friend JC Franchitti, from New York, who volunteered to take it over in 2011 is "overwhelmed" by the sheer numbers of images involved. These currently number in the tens of thousands ... and I keep adding more every day!

Such a waste!

Saturnin15

Wow!  Nice pieces you have there!  Especially the winner for the name Eldorado for the « new Â» convertible!
Sedan Deville 1956

Glen

Quote from: Saturnin15 on April 07, 2020, 02:36:37 PM
Wow!  Nice pieces you have there!  Especially the winner for the name Eldorado for the « new » convertible!

Wonder what became of her.  Us Eldorado fans should recognize her. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104