News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Mel Brooks, Madeline Kahn and one crazy Seville

Started by colinlikens, April 01, 2020, 10:56:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

colinlikens

I remember finding this really amusing when I first saw Mel Brooks' "High Anxiety" decades ago.  But I was just reminded of it. The absurdity of the Louis Vuitton-style paint job still cracks me up. 

Whether it is your first time seeing this or perhaps a reminder of a memory I hope it gives you a laugh too.  We need them as much as ever right now.

All the best.
1973 Eldorado Convertible
2008 DTS
1978 Buick Estate Wagon

TJ Hopland

Was it paint?   Or some sort of predecessor to vinyl wrapping?   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

James Landi

Colin, thanks so much for posting... as you likely recall, the entire film was a parody of Alfred Hitchcock thrillers, and part of the entertainment and comedic value for the audience was being able to recognize and identify all of the " Hitchcock films" within the Brooks film.  Yet, one of the most brilliantly funny sequences featured Mel Brooks singing the title song of the movie as if he were Frank Sinatra-- still give me the giggles just thinking about it.   Gratefully James

colinlikens

Glad you enjoyed it James!  For you, or anyone else, here's a (not so high quality) video clip of the same scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_euAhdMk1ok

I tried to research how they did the paint effect.  I had no success but if anyone has ideas about what they would have been able to do around 1977 when the film was released I'd love to know!
2008 DTS
1978 Buick Estate Wagon

TJ Hopland

With movies you never know how good or temporary they went with something like that.   It could have been done using all the latest technology and products and really made to last or it could have been water colors done by the B units B team's interns cousins neighbors and they just hoped it didn't rain during shooting. 

I do wonder if it would have been a wrap of sorts?   They had custom printing technology for products like fabric and wallpaper.  Maybe it was basically wallpaper?  Again hope it didn't rain during shooting? 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

colinlikens

Funny things that you learn in cases like this.  I sent the High Anxiety photo to a friend who used to work as a finance exec for Vuitton -- just for a laugh. He shared it with a friend who still works there and was told that Vuitton wasn't even making clothing until 1998.  So that means that Mel Brooks or others working on the movie dreamed up both Madeline Kahn's jumpsuit and the car's matching paint treatment.  Somehow to me that makes the whole thing just a little bit funnier.

In the meantime it reminded me of the various Gucci Sevilles that actually did get produced...

2008 DTS
1978 Buick Estate Wagon

TJ Hopland

If they made it all up then maybe it was all fabric?  Maybe they just glued the same fabric they made the costume out of to the car?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV