News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

'58 Windshield trim clip replacement

Started by raugusti, April 01, 2020, 04:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raugusti

Is it possible to replace the lower windshield trim clip, third one from the end, on a ‘58 without moving, or removing the fender?  The service manual says to unscrew the clip in the corner and the one covered by the door and slide the trim off.  This doesn't help when the clip is long gone.  In the 2nd picture below you can see the one on the passenger side is covered by the fender.

Also, would someone have the trim fastener that goes in the corner by the door for the drivers side, third pic, opposite side?

Thanks
Scott
Scott Augustine
Colorado, USA
'58 Series 62 Conv.
'58 Eldorado Seville

CadillacFanBob

Scott,

The MPL shows the clip needed is shared by 1957 and 1958 Cadillac's, and also other GM body cars. I did check Buick MPL and is not Buick it shares with, maybe Oldsmobile or Pontiac? Part #4748820 for right side, # 4748821 for the left side. I hope this helps.

Bob
Frankfort, Illinois

M. Bankes

Hi
I believe I have the one clip you are missing, please contact me at faded.fins@yahoo.ca and I can send you pictures and details
Thanks
Michael

fishnjim

If you don't find, try Restoration Specialties.

I would "guess" if you can get to the screw, then it'll come off without taking the fender.   
I suspect these screws would be "rotted" too and hard to remove.   Sometimes one of those "S" shapes screw driver tools, one end flat, one phillips are good for this type chore when you can't get a long shaft in there or slips at the angle, plus better leverage for breaking loose.  People tend to use power tools, these daze but they're more prone to strip heads.  Ok, once they're "broke" but do manually first.   Replace the screws, too or you'll have rattles, some holes may need repaired or screw upsized, dab of putty/sealer.
It's not a major chore to take the fender off, but you're apt to find a whole bunch more, similar situations and need to consider risks/benefits.   Lining up, shimming, and reinstalling is more time consuming then removal.   It's the old "one job leads to ten", in vintage work.   Why it takes so long.   If you just consider the one, the ten will bite back.   

ps: Why I didn't take any trim off mine, because I know the clips would be rotted and not ready for that chore til I do sheet metal, if at all.  When I flushed them, I got plenty of dirt and rusts chips.   They didn't understand nor care about "corrosion protection" in '58 and they didn't expect them to last this long.   So unchartered waters a lot of times - ie, careful navigation required.

raugusti

Thanks all,  I will continue to look at the situation.  When I looked at first I didn't see any way to get even a right angle screw driver in there.  I think it might be possible to loosen the fenders enough to gain access though.  I wouldn't be dealing with this if someone hadn't driven several sheet metal screws through the trim to secure it!  :o

Scott
Scott Augustine
Colorado, USA
'58 Series 62 Conv.
'58 Eldorado Seville

cadillac ken

Craftsman makes a very short ratchet right angle screwdriver.  It comes with both a #1 and a #2 bit on the same tool.  I have one that I cut off the #1 bit to make it even slimmer to fit into very tight spaces.  Maybe give it a try.

fishnjim

Why one can not always expect their old car to be "as made".   So common, people do things to them for expediency, availability, etc.   My other car had a hole gouged in the trim to mount a non-stock mirror.   It's so common.   Like I said, they rot and rattle, so they probably "drilled" it tight, instead of fixing.  Surprised no duct tape.   Too much like work and didn't see a way to do it.  Old cars developed rattles typically as they aged any way, so it's part of the aging process.   People don't realize how far cars have come today.   Mystique about old cars isn't always deserved.
Similarly, they make slim ratchet wrenches and a 1/4" will fit one of those small driver heads(bits), torx, etc.   Tricks-o-trade.
You'll figure it out.   Patience and prudence required in this sport.

35-709

Quote from: cadillac ken on April 06, 2020, 09:34:36 AM
Craftsman makes a very short ratchet right angle screwdriver.  It comes with both a #1 and a #2 bit on the same tool.  I have one that I cut off the #1 bit to make it even slimmer to fit into very tight spaces.  Maybe give it a try.
Agree, these things are very handy to have!
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

cadparts58

Scott,
If Mike can't help you out, I have what you need. I have included pictures. My email is fpuma49@verizon.net Thanx Frank
Frank Puma #10721

raugusti

Thanks all.  I have a corner clip on the way. 
I have most of the tools mentioned and don't see a way to get at the screw for the clip.  Which probably explains the sheet metal screws through the trim!   :(

Scott
Scott Augustine
Colorado, USA
'58 Series 62 Conv.
'58 Eldorado Seville