News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

76 Eldorado vanity shade

Started by tc76ldovert, April 03, 2020, 11:19:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tc76ldovert

I am just getting to know my Eldo and am finding some strange things. I have a live wire with an RCA jack on the end that comes out a hole in the mount arm. Strangely if it touches the screws it sparks with ignition on and off. I can't find any mention of it in the shop or body manuals. I don't know what its for and can only wrap it with electrical tape since I can't figure how to disconnect it. I suppose I will have to take the shade apart.
As always thanks for any advise.
Tom

76eldo

Illuminated vanity mirror connection?
I never took one part but the RCA male end looks out of place.
Tape them off to avoid blowing a fuse
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

First I would check to see which one is hot (12 volts) and which is the ground.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

hornetball

Provides power for the illuminated vanity mirror built into the shade.  Center is +12VDC.  Outer part (which is soldered to the outer braid) is ground.  If you have the original shade, then just plug it in!

My '74 has one.  Works well.

Cadillac Fleetwood

The connector is for the illuminated vanity mirror.  You will find where it connects by looking into the "pocket" formed by the upholstery material, between the pivot and the stainless finishing clip in your photos.  The illuminated vanity is wired into the 25-amp body feed fuse, and is powered with the ignition on or off, just as the courtesy lights are.  The vanity mirror grounds to the car body through the sunshade support and its mounting screws.

Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

tc76ldovert

Charles,
You nailed it. I had to spread the visor fabric but there was the socket. I got it in and now know I need to change the bulbs. Mr. Badwrench should be able to do that.
Thanks for all the input.
Tom

Cadillac Fleetwood

Quote from: tc76ldovert on April 03, 2020, 02:58:10 PM
Charles,
You nailed it. I had to spread the visor fabric but there was the socket. I got it in and now know I need to change the bulbs. Mr. Badwrench should be able to do that.
Thanks for all the input.
Tom

Behind the lens on each side of the mirror, you will find a special cylindrical bulb, retained  to the contacts by a loop at the top and bottom.  The lenses are "press fit" and can be removed with gentle prying with a small, flat-blade screwdriver.  Let me know if you need the bulbs.

Charles Fares
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

tc76ldovert

I am sure I don't have bulbs you described. Would LED's work in that?
Thanks,
Tom

Cadillac Fleetwood

Call me Fred Flintstone from the dinosaur age, but I have always been reluctant to install LED where normal incandescent bulbs suffice.  Remember that there are two settings to the intensity of the lights in this vanity, bright and brighter.

Charles Fares
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

tc76ldovert

I get the old school but my wife and daughters might like the extra blast of light. That got me looking for the bulbs for the illuminated door handles. All the interior incandescent bulbs work when I press the button. That type of light definitely wouldn't work as an led, too harsh.
There is no school like old school

tc76ldovert

I think I figured out why the vanity was disconnected. It was plugged in Friday and by Sunday the battery was flat drained. Must cause a constant draw when plugged into the mirror but no lights are lit.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Is there some sort of internal switch to turn off the light when the visors are up, or not wanting to use the illumination?

There would be nothing worse than having the Sun Visors down, shielding the eyes from the Sun, and the lights are on.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

tc76ldovert

Bruce,
The bulbs were not lighting with the switch. It was was in the off position but drained the battery. I hooked up a battery tender today and hopefully can start her tomorrow. I'll bet it doesn't drain again.
Tom

Cadillac Fleetwood

The lid operates the on-off. When the lid is raised, a moulded plastic part of the hinge depresses a metal tang and. . completes the circuit. Closing the lid breaks the circuit and turns the lights off.
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

James Landi

Hard to conceive of a "load" that would drain your battery with no signs of light or life as a consequence of the plug connected.  If it were a short or a partial short, you'd have heat, a blown fuse, or worse smoke and perhaps a fire.  But you're correct in your assumption that some prior owner went through the tedious process of disconnecting the plug.  When you take apart the visor apart, and in the process of replacing the bulb, look carefully of signs of burning, or some insidious heat damage.   If you have a multimeter, there are certainly ways to get a better diagnosis.  Test for a load/continuity with your ohm meter on the female end of the connector.   There appears to be a potentially serious issue. You might consider leaving it alone--- Hope this helps, James

tc76ldovert

I have pulled the plug from the visor. I put my battery tender on it Sunday but wouldn't charge the battery. I pulled the battery (12/18 install) thinking there might be an electrical gremlin in the car and put the Battery Tender back on it. Still hasn't charged it so maybe it's time to try a new battery.
Mr. Badwrench

James Landi

If I understand you correctly that you're attempting to charge your battery with a "battery tender, " and it is not designed to produce the required output....it  will not charge a discharged battery.   Your two year old battery may simply need a more appropriate "bulk" charge from a battery charger that can produce, at minimum, 10-15 amps.  Most battery tenders provide 1/2 and amp.  Hope this helps,  James

tc76ldovert

James,
That does help. I will buy a regular charger which is half the price of a new battery and try it. I have never had a battery so stone dead a tender couldn't bring it back to like but I am just getting to know my Eldo.
Thanks,
Tom

V63

Unfortunately the late model battery chargers designed to protect ourselves (like the late model plastic gasoline cans) are a pile of junk. They will not charge a totally discharged battery, because they will not recognize it as connected to a battery. A work around is you have to connect it to yet another charged battery. Moreover these late model battery charger will report a bad battery when they are simply too low on charge. The charger will shut off and stop charging.

My opinion!!! 🥴

SAVE YOURSELF! Simply ...

BUY AN OLD FASHIONED USED BATTER CHARGER.

Glen

That's why I have the old school battery chargers.  They are only 6 amp, but they do the job eventually. 

If I need something faster I use the brush plater supply.  Its a 25 amp device. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104